Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: Most obscure game you've ever played?  (Read 27551 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Most obscure game you've ever played?
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2010, 05:12:56 am »

I also remember getting some RTS-type game for free somehow.  I think the name had a 7 in it?
sounds a lot like seven kingdoms. Well except the first game (which is the only one I played) had no horsemen/camelmen so it might be a later installment.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2010, 03:50:07 pm »

I also remember getting some RTS-type game for free somehow.  I think the name had a 7 in it?
sounds a lot like seven kingdoms. Well except the first game (which is the only one I played) had no horsemen/camelmen so it might be a later installment.
Yeah!  I remember the sleeve I got it in had like an angel in golden armor on it or something.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2010, 08:36:36 pm »

Holy hell. I've been trying to remember the name of Tai Chi. I borrowed it from a friend and beat it through, killing the last boss first try. My mate never knew how I did it without cheats, and when I tried to play through it again, I couldn't beat him either ::)

Actually, I borrowed another awesome game from the same friend. Can't remember the name, but it was a action/adventure hack-and-slashy type thing - you were a warrior type guy killing stuff. The plot was good from what I remember, and the main bad guys were dragons (although I can distinctly remember pirates too). One of the near-to-last bosses had you pitted against a 2-headed fire breathing dragon, in a kind of lava cave, if that helps.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2010, 09:06:09 pm »

Probably not incredibly obscure but anyone remember the wizardry games?  I only played little bits of them all up to Wizardry 8, which I played through, and beat two separate times.  The game was fucking EPIC.

You could have 6 custom characters + 2 NPCs, each character you could choose a voice and face for out of a reasonably large pool of possibilities, and an interesting plot for what I saw of it (Wiz 6, 7, and 8 are connected to eachother in the same story like how Star Wars was)

(Damn I can't find my CDs to get screencaps)

Nessie still scares the crap outta me after that game.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2010, 11:23:03 pm »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2010, 01:27:06 am »

I've been exploring games available on linux and found one pretty far out there. Its called Progress Quest. Its a 0 player game with both offline game play and massively multiplayer online game play. Its a lot like World of Warcraft, except the grind is pretty easy to deal with because it isn't interactive.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2010, 01:29:17 am »

Cortex Command and Progress Quest totally aren't obscure.  CC at least has enough people for a pretty strong modding base, right?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2010, 01:30:06 am »

Eh, I remember it required the equivallent of Clarke's Monolith to run well at the time was released. The only reason the requirements seem lower is because the game was older. And besides, the particle effects when you break a crate will make the game stutter even on the contemporary equivallent of Clarke's Monolith, and I have no idea why the hell that is.

With everything said, the game is still amazing.

I'm trying to think of another obscure game to post here, but honestly, my brain has switched to "retarded automaton simulation" mode and I'm helpless :(

Well that's kinda my point, isn't it. They managed to get the same effect years earlier on hardware that was a lot less powerful. As for the crate breaking, that's not particle effects, that's actual physical simulation (which, incidentally, was also groundbreaking for the time). I'm thinking it has to be something about your box, because I can't remember having any trouble with that and certainly don't have any now, and my computer wasn't great even when I got it those oh so many years ago and it certainly isn't now. But yes, the game is amazing. I finished it again just a few months ago, as a matter of fact, and I thoroughly enjoyed it as usual.
Oh, and let's not forget those amazing blood stains! I have yet to see another game where blood splattered on a wall actually flows down, creating a vertical smear.

As for other obscure games of this genre, I guess Die by the Sword might count. Has that been mentioned yet? I've lost track.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2010, 01:35:22 am »

Cortex Command and Progress Quest totally aren't obscure.  CC at least has enough people for a pretty strong modding base, right?

CC is obscure enough that the devs have stopped developing it (what, last release was 6+ months ago and the one before that is over a year before that, and all the devblog updates are on "cool stuff we found"?  Toady does more work in a day than it took for them to make build 22 into build 23*).

*A change so small I couldn't actually tell I was playing a new version.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2010, 01:37:14 am »

I used to play DbtS all the time. Completed all the campaigns, first time though I spent half the game hopping about because my leg was cut off at the knee early on. Did all the gauntlets, even with kobalds and bugs.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2010, 01:44:34 am »

I've been exploring games available on linux and found one pretty far out there. Its called Progress Quest. Its a 0 player game with both offline game play and massively multiplayer online game play. Its a lot like World of Warcraft, except the grind is pretty easy to deal with because it isn't interactive.
Progress Quest isn't that obscure, there was a thread in Other Games about it a few months ago.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2010, 02:04:03 am »

Slightly behind sapiens, Rise and Rule of Ancient Empires. I've never met anyone who played it.

I have this game.  ;)

I also had this game too.

For obscure games:

Evolution: A game made by discovery channel apparently, pretty good actually.

There was this game back in the 1990's (early to mid) wich was basically a science game about going back in time to photograph (and movies) various creatures and showed the creatures in a clade relationship format. I really don't remember the name of it, but all I can remember is that one of the companies was Cryo. Edit: It also had a saurosapien for some reason as the character you usually interact with.

There was the origional Outpost, not sure how obscure that is.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:07:38 am by smjjames »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2010, 02:09:57 am »

Not very obscure, I have 3 copies of the outpost, one from when I was a kid, one I picked out of the bargain bin from the late 90s and another one out of the bargain bin that was given to me as a gift. And I have dosbox installed so I can still play it. I also played Wing Commander 3 under dosbox, but my disks had gotten scratched over the years and I couldn't make it through the cutscenes after the second mission.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2010, 03:19:27 am »

CC is obscure enough that the devs have stopped developing it (what, last release was 6+ months ago and the one before that is over a year before that, and all the devblog updates are on "cool stuff we found"?  Toady does more work in a day than it took for them to make build 22 into build 23*).

*A change so small I couldn't actually tell I was playing a new version.
You better be ferking kidding. You sure as hell won't see many changes by just playing vanilla. Build 23 was a huge leap, about on the scale of the 2D->3D move for DF. Maybe it didn't require quite as much work, I don't know, but the effect for the community was great. Whereas before, Lua scripting was limited to just special missions, in B23 Lua scripting propagated to every object in the normal game. This gave rise to a multitude of awesome mods, even I managed to make the beginnings of a SWAT Kats mod with "selectable weapons" in one glovatrix.

But yeah, its development is slow as hell. The next update promises complete revision of the Lua scripts (allowing hack-free controls over attachables and stuff) and proper campaigns though, so the community is happy to wait, just like we are.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2010, 09:27:36 am »

But yeah, its development is slow as hell. The next update promises complete revision of the Lua scripts (allowing hack-free controls over attachables and stuff) and proper campaigns though, so the community is happy to wait, just like we are.

It's so slow I forgot about the game for a year and found a new version.  Just remembered the game again yesterday and didn't really see anything exciting (to be completely honest, while the LUA changes are cool, they don't mean anything until there's an actual game).
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20