Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: Most obscure game you've ever played?  (Read 27581 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Most obscure game you've ever played?
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2010, 02:09:57 am »

I bet not a one of you have played facemaker.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2010, 06:22:05 am »

well if only published games count i'd say either
Spells of Gold by buka entertainment and jonquil software it's a trading sim rpg with a decent story that i never finished decent grapics for the time too. made in 2002 according to the game disk
 i lost the manual... if it even had one.
OR
Cultures by funtastics and THQ brilliant little... rts? economic sim? not sure which it is technically. great little game you basically looked after a viking outpost or village got them to farm and hunt get married build houses have kids go to war and more. unfortunatly my original cd shattered in a new 52x speed drive, luckily the disk was laminated so the drive was spared, i still have my back up copy and the manual... should play it again some time. the manual cites a copyright in 2000. apparantly a sequel was made but i could never find it.
OR
Machines by acclaim. an rts which i got addicted ot when i bought it, i got it at a garage sale. unfortunatly my play disk broke and i ended up tossing the install disk along as well (painfully enough a few years later i found another play disk at another garage sale all on it's lonesome >.<)

i'd be quite interested to know if anyone know of these, or if machines has become freeware in siome obscure part of the internet.

edit: typos
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:26:37 am by Typoman »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2010, 07:23:52 am »

No, I don't think it was Chaos. It was a remake, I think I remember the name starting with an "A"...

I seemed to have recalled the name, actually.  Ataxia.  Ataxia:  Chaos Wars, technically.

Also, I just remembered.  I have played Idolcraft.  http://playthisthing.com/idolcraft

...It wasn't for very long, only one session, but that totally still counts.

(EDIT:  Facemaker?  Was that that flash game?)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:26:50 am by Farce »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2010, 10:52:48 am »

And I just remembered I've technically played Montezuma's Return (I always thought it was Montezuma's Revenge, but that turns out to be the previous game). Or the demo, at least. It had the player in an ancient Aztec pyramid and jumping on pillars standing atop burning lava. It had a weird first-person type camera that wobbled when the player jumped. Ah, memories :)
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2010, 07:14:50 pm »

Is Planescape Torment considered obscure?

It seems everyone played Bauldersgate instead.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2010, 09:03:28 pm »

Planescape: Torment is awesome. It's the only commercial RPG i've ever played that truely deserves the title "Role Playing Game".

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2010, 09:04:15 pm »

Is Planescape Torment considered obscure?

It seems everyone played Bauldersgate instead.
I don't think so... I always wanted to play it but didn't get the chance.  Never played BG either...  :-\
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2010, 05:40:54 am »

Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy

That game I loved. It was so very nice that it allowed you to rename your soldiers. Nothing more fun than seeing one of your friends nuke a bug hole. And boy, I loved those suits! Having everyone equipped with dual chainguns sure gave those bugs a run for their money! Errr, lives! Paws?

Metal Fatigue

That game brings up some very fond multiplayer memories. My brother and I duked it out (he Rimtech or Neuropa, I was always Mil-Agro) on a map that had an alien derelict droid. We would fight tooth and nail to get that droid captured because it could walk all over everything else we could produce. And once that droid came online ... My tough Axe melee droids got torn to shreds by that alien claw and then melted by that blaster.

Ofcourse, the fact that one had jetpacks, and could wage war on three different levels increased the fun. And Fun.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2010, 07:50:46 am »

Oh hey.

How about One Must Fall?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2010, 07:54:51 am »

I looked it up, and read on wikipedia that in One Must Fall, players have the option to "punch or kick their opponent" or some such thing.

I suppose that counts as obscure.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2010, 07:58:03 am »

OMF was a robot fiten game in which two dudes in different kinds of robots beat the crap out of each other. It had a campaign mode where you could discover a secret weapons project and a plot to take over the world by beating the crap out of your competetors. It also had a bunch of utterly hilarious stunts and tricks you could pull; great game, great game.

Had intertube multiplayer too, which was awesome.

I hear there's a 3D fan-made remake of it, but the graphics are a bit too clunky and it looks like the gameplay has taken a bunch of modifications to the face to support the 3Dness.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2010, 08:09:34 am »

I loved OMF at the time; a bit later than that, actually, because I was about 12 or 13 when I played it, meaning somewhere around 2001. It had some really nice moves, interesting character design, a pseudo-rpg stat system where you upgraded your three stats - agility, dexterity and strength or something along that line, it even boasted a pretty nice plot - for a fighting game, that is. And all the arenas had some sort of active border where you could throw your opponent to damage them.

And it had that motherhugging creting with the two flails in the singleplayer which I never, ever beat despite beating the end boss in some other mode of play. The miserable tinfoil trolley had a spinning attack which did demigodly levels of damage, stunlocked you and threw you around like a featherweight boxer agains Godzilla. It was one of my most traumatic childhood experiences, along with that first arachnoclown in Kiss Psycho Circus's Demo, the one which I had my dad kill for me because I was too scared to go into the damn building.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that OMF is magnificent. QED.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/center]
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2010, 08:15:39 am »

Ah yes, good old Flail, the most ludicrously broken 'bot in the game. The other bot's power levels varied (sometimes significantly) but if you knew how to play them they were all mostly balanced to an approximate degree.

Except for Flail, who, with correct timing, could launch an infinite undodgable unblockable combo that raped you into the ground in 5 seconds flat.

I loved Flail so much.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2010, 08:53:01 am »

Ok.  Does this game ring a bell?

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2010, 09:37:37 am »

Nope :( But it does remind me of the single best sidescrolling jump&run on the PC, the glorious Captain Claw. All hail Monolith for producing the only game of its genre I've played through nearly 5 times, especially considering the last boss is a pain in the arse. Beautifully animated characters, wonderful environments, nice, occasionally hilarious dialogue (the burping dogs in the second area still crack me up).

edit : And why won't someone comment on my new avatar :(
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20