Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: Most obscure game you've ever played?  (Read 27575 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most obscure game you've ever played?
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2010, 06:05:18 am »

I've played numerous obscure titles... but what's the most...
I guess these two are mostly obscure now because of their age. They probably weren't all that obscure when they were new.

Death Rally
Terminal Velocity

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2010, 08:46:22 am »

Probably It Came from the Desert, an abandonware DOS game, or maybe CthulhuMUD.
Oh God!!! Such a great game!!! Never won it, though...

I've played so much abandonware from the-underdogs that i can't really focus on THE most obscure game.  btw.... http://www.hotud.org/ is The underdogs back?  JOY! :D

@Kaelem Gaen:  How is loom obscure?? Lucasarts!!ç

Halloween Harry?  XD
colonial conquest
lol, yeah!
What about Syboot: legacy of kain?  Has someone played that?
have you guys played "the Clue!" ? and it's successor whose "the Sting!"?  Awesome games.
How about "entrepreneur"? Free adventure game with Police quest 1 like graphics with a great horror theme.  It's right there in abandonia to download.
speaking of chaos... do you guys remember Chaos overlords?  Great Game! 
Ooh, and Hocus Pocus!
YES!! I couldn't remember the name!
Scorched earth?
MARSHMALLOW DUEL! Seriously!!! This is the greatest 2p game ever!! XD  download it and play it with someone...
Technopuck is the best pong game I've ever seen... I think is japanese or something... Extremely hard to find.
Liquid war is great too.
Anyone heard of "Another World/Out of this World"?
Of course, dude!  Classic!  Really hard too.
Quote from: hillburra
Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy as far as I can tell from internet searches is one friggin obscure game that I poured hours into and loved.
I loved this game specially because I'm a huge fan of Bob Heinlein and his novels.  That was one tough game at some points.  Losing a soldier was a HUGE deal.
Do you guys know bureau 13?  Great game.
Sword of the samurai is one AWESOME game that seems to have been neglected by the world...

And what about KOEI titles?  Those were awesome... Ghengis khan! Liberty or death! 
There's so many obscure games I've loved...
I'd be impressed if anyone can correctly identify this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's something called tinyeye reverse search for Firefox (and maybe other browsers) :P
You know Microman had a sequel.

I think I played the first one.

Gabriel Knight 2 isn't obscure? But I thought no one played that game? I certainly never met anyone who knew what it was (To admit the only part that justifies this... would be its endgame puzzle... That thing is just malicious)
How many cds where there again?  19? XD  I would've loved to play it.  The first one was impressive.
Façade: http://www.interactivestory.net/
This is not obscure at all... It's all over the internet...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2010, 09:20:11 am »

I played:
Loom
Halloween Harry
Clue and Sting. (but no the old DOS boardgame implementation)
Chaos overlords. (sort of, I didn't play it even twice for some reason)
Hocus Pocus
Scorched earth
Liquid war
KOEI's Uncharted Waters II and Liberty or Death (maybe others, but those 2 I played to death)
Gabriel Knight 1. does that count?
also:
What about Syboot: legacy of kain?  Has someone played that?
Trust and Betrayal - Legacy of Siboot? or Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain? (played both, naturally.)
Anyone heard of "Another World/Out of this World"?
what about Heart of the Alien? It's the console exclusive sequel, and by virtue of that quite obscure by now. (played)
Façade: http://www.interactivestory.net/
This is not obscure at all... It's all over the internet...
It's not a very good game though, honestly?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2010, 09:23:37 am »

Scorched Earth obscure?

Not everybody might know it's name, but everybody played it (or some clone) at one point or another!

You might even say it's the first "Worms" there ever was.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2010, 09:24:55 am »

speaking of worms: liero.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2010, 09:27:03 am »

Man, Hocus Pocus was rad. I remember playing it at some miniscule age, there were those skeletons that shot bones at you... ah, nostalgia.

Anyway, mine is Netstorm, to which I only played the demo, loved it, despite being unable to do anything at all (being 8 does that to you occasionally), then forgetting about it until, some good 11 years later I saw a screenshot of it in a completely unrelated Warhammer Online discussion. Netstorm kicked ass.

What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2010, 10:09:10 am »

Netstorm: Thats the one where you received a randomized list of bridge segments you could use to branch out from your sky island? There was some kind of crystal lightning cannon as well?

I vaguely remember that game, twas awesome, but I could never remember what it was called.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2010, 10:29:22 am »

I never got further than the tutorial in that game :\

I think you can get it on Abandonia now, by the way.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2010, 02:47:46 pm »

That Netstorm screenshot reminded me of another one.  Anybody remember Septerra Core?  it was a PC game, early 2000s, in the Japanese RPG style.  Similar to FF7 in many ways.  Even had a big dog character you could get in your party.

It was pretty well done, and the story was fun.  Except that I kind of hate Japanese style RPGs and their traditional party and combat mechanics. 

Like, why isnt everyone in the party fighting?  Why are they lining up and taking turns to whap each other?  Why is the enemy dropping random loot and not what they were fighting with in the battle?  Why can you get better things by stealing from them during the fight, than you can by looting their cold dead bodies?

I guess we have western RPGs like Phantasie to blame for some of that, but I place the "looting during combat" trope squarely on the shoulders of the Japanese.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2010, 04:12:48 pm »

No, but the best-written Bulgarian gaming magazine did an absolutely hilarious review of Septerra Core, so I'm pretty familiar with it. The reviewer basically says it's a pretty good, abhorrently long and somewhat buggy tactical RPG. And it has a fallen angel named Gemma. I think.

But that's certainly not obscure, to be honest. And I just thought of another, but I'll be damned if I remember the name. It was a mobster style strategy, with a cartoonish look. I played the demo, only, and it had a part where you must hire a sort of a demolisher to destroy some sort of a business building belonging to your opponent. I'm just curious what it was called, if anyone has an idea.

And, alas, the single best possible game for the PC is also quite obscure :( . And yes, it's better than DF. By a small margin, but still. I'm talking, of course, of Sacrifice. I know a lot of people have heard it, but not nearly enough as it deserved.

Hah, to be honest, that same magazine (Gamer's Workshop, if any Bulgarian is reading by chance) did an amazing article on it, sparking my initial interest in the game. It was 6 pages long, written in a very nice esseistic style. I blatantly stole some thoughts on the act of writing from it for a school essay. I got an excellent mark for it :)
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2010, 04:27:05 pm »

I remember Sacrifice.  It got a lot of talk on the Shrapnel Games forums, as it was coming out around the same time as one of the Dominions games.  I never played it, but one of the guys I was working with at the time was singing its praises.

Honestly most of the games i remember well wernt actually obsucre, its just that you dont really expect the current generation of game players to remember them.  There are definitly huge numbers of people that had Apples and Amigas and Ataris and C64s, but you still dont expect the console generation to recognize names like Armor Alley.

Even things that actually ARE obscure (come on, Septerra flopped despite glowing previews.  few people ever played it) are popular to someone.  I played the hell out of an ST game called Brattacus.  Few other people have heard of it, but it was written by a real "rock star" band of developers that were brought together to be a famos team.  It didnt pan out and they broke up shortly after publishing that game, but there is bound to be someone who will remember the hype and claim that Brattacus was famous.

I usually get blank stares when i say things like "A Mind Forever Voyaging" and "Leather Goddesses from Phobos" but those too were famous in their own right among the people that enjoyed text adventures.  Text adventures were out of fashion by the time Magentic Scrolls made "The Pawn" and "The Guild of Thieves" but there are enough people out there who will be offended if i suggest they are obscure.

Its all a mater of perspective, i guess.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2010, 05:58:46 pm »

Netstorm: Thats the one where you received a randomized list of bridge segments you could use to branch out from your sky island? There was some kind of crystal lightning cannon as well?

I vaguely remember that game, twas awesome, but I could never remember what it was called.

Yup, Netstorm is awesome, it's still got the most original and interesting gameplay i've ever found in an RTS.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2010, 07:34:30 pm »

THE Sacrifice?  RTS + RPG concepts with a storyline that followed some kind of weird choose your own adventure by deciding wich god to help?

That's not obscure.  That was one known and awesome game.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2010, 12:28:00 am »

Halo. Definitely.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2010, 01:53:06 am »

Halo. Definitely.

ahh yes, I was debating whether or not I should make this post back around page 3. Obviously I should have seized the opportunity.
I'd say the most obscure game I've ever played are one of several games I found on the gmc I decided to download and play, then never think about again(until now???)
Orrrrrr one of the games i programmed myself and never showed anyone but my brother. whichever one counts more
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20