Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Most obscure game you've ever played?  (Read 27493 times)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Most obscure game you've ever played?
« Reply #285 on: June 23, 2010, 10:09:07 pm »

Unfortunately, CotW only runs in windows, not DOS. XP mode emulates 64 bit windows XP without XP's backwards compatibility mode. Irritating really.

True. However, with the right know-how (and looking on the Dosbox forums) it's possible to run Windows 3.1 from within Dosbox. So, he's technically correct, though I've heard it's a rather tricky setup.

To be fair, that wasn't what I had in mind, but thanks.  ;)   It'd definitely be easier to set up a virtual box with Windows 3.1...you can get Sony's version for free, and Windows 3.1 isn't terribly hard to find an old copy of.  You'd be all set, and you wouldn't have to mess with your existing computer's settings much at all.

KG

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 24, 2010, 12:30:49 am »

True, but since I think you need Dos running underneath Windows 3.1 for it to work properly, you have to install dos at some point anyways. :P  Dosbox is mostly risk-free, if you make sure to confine it's virtual C: drive to some subfolder of yours. If you map C: to C: directly, well, that's asking for trouble. >.>  Ah well, either one works. Do what you find easiest.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 24, 2010, 09:41:13 am »

EVO: Search for Eden? I have many fond memories of playing it on my SNES.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 24, 2010, 09:58:59 am »

Well, there was this one time I made a game with an opera music soundtrack.
No one else ever played it because I deleted it instantly after playing it.
Most.
Obscure.
Game.
Ever.
:O

Games you've made yourself don't count.  Especially if they never leave your computer.
In that case, my friend made a game in Q-basic called Turtle Love. It's a life sim for turtles, i think he put it on the internet somewhere.
:O
But as for commercial games, I'm really not sure I can think of anything.
I can't find your friends game  :-\. A search for Turtle Love brings up breeding guides for turtles, and Turtle Love Q Basic brings up your post.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 24, 2010, 11:21:39 am »

I love how people are saying that the most obscure game somebody has played isn't obscure enough.  I know mine isn't, since it was published by a well known company, but it doesn't have a real wikipedia page, which is something right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_Systems
I played Bad Blood a lot for awhile.  Eventually got stuck trying to sneak through a sewer.  My dad actually had me convinced that the game would make the computer emit radiation lol.  I loved the map that came with it though.  I remember that there were bloody footprints by a cave on the map, so I went to investigate in the game.  Then I restarted because investigating bloody footprints with a character you just made is a bad idea.  I proceeded to stay the hell away from that cave for as long as I had the game.

Reminds me that I had Dark Sun for the computer, and a few people mentioned Lords of Magic and Hocus Pocus, which were also cool games.  There's some xbox game I had called like Blackstone or something, but I'm pretty sure it was just a Gauntlet clone, so I doubt it'd count for anything.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 24, 2010, 01:48:15 pm »

Yea, I need to track down an old copy of Windows 3.1. Damn Microsoft only selling 'licenses' instead of the actual program, we had computers running Windows 3.1 but it came with the computer, so all we have are the recovery disks.

As for obscure games, how about Brave Fencer Musashi. Old Playstation game. Was one of my favorite games for the playstation. It had a lot of little puzzles with a top down dungeon crawler style. You had two swords, one which gained special abilities (earthquakes, throwing fire, throwing water, etc) when you collected scrolls (the main plot drive) and another one that could sap enemies Kirby style to gain other special abilities, like hopping over spikes, shooting a machine gun, etc. It was very in depth, very well done. I don't know if it sold very well, I just know that I only found it in one store even while it was still in distribution.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 24, 2010, 02:51:51 pm »

EVO: Search for Eden? I have many fond memories of playing it on my SNES.

I hope you still have your cartridge. It's a collector's item worth over a hundred dollars now.

EDIT: Actually, it's closer to $80 Canadian, but you can make big bucks if you have the book and manual, too.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 02:53:41 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 24, 2010, 03:03:52 pm »

Hrm... commercially would probably be Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (it's fans, including me, consider a very under-appreciated gem). Only other reasonably obscure one I can think of is Princess Maker 2 (actually quite fun... I dunno what happened to 1, probably never released outside Japan XD ).

Possibly Toribash and/or Ragdoll Kung Fu as well.
Help Miqo grow!

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Groovedbells

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 24, 2010, 03:14:07 pm »

Hi!

Hrm... commercially would probably be Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (it's fans, including me, consider a very under-appreciated gem). Only other reasonably obscure one I can think of is Princess Maker 2 (actually quite fun... I dunno what happened to 1, probably never released outside Japan XD ).

Mmmhhhh, I just checked Princess Maker 1 at the download shop at Vector. Now I remember why I never considered buying it - it does not support Windows XP, and after the failure of Sequence Palladium, I have decided to take the warnings at Vector seriously (^_^;;

Deathworks

mothra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 24, 2010, 06:21:40 pm »

this facemaker?

messed with it as a little kid on the 64.

obscure.maybe fued,our a mind forever voyaging

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 24, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »

Let me see... Unfortunately I RARELY know if a game I played was obscure. For example I never heard of anyone who played Magic Carpet or its expansion but I doubt that sounds.

-Wiggins the Book Worm
-Magic Carpet (I guess)
-Music Pen (I bet no one knows this game! and it was published)
-Stellar 7

Stellar 7, Wiggins, and Music Pen probably are the most obscure PUBLISHED games I played. Oddly enough Wiggins is still around.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #296 on: June 26, 2010, 05:37:56 pm »

Anybody know about a little PS1 game called Spider - The Video Game?
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 28, 2010, 12:37:33 pm »

apollo 18.

A seriously hard space flight simulator where there is a 99% change that you will fail.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]