Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Most obscure game you've ever played?  (Read 27516 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Most obscure game you've ever played?
« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2010, 10:46:34 pm »

Obscure.

No seriously, that's the name.

A weird Resident Evil type-game cast as a teen horror movie. Looks very up to date and shiny, yet I never heard or saw anything on the game until I found it online.

It was also incredibly close to the classic teen horror formula. It was fun. But also gross.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 18, 2010, 11:10:15 pm »

Obscure.

A weird Resident Evil type-game cast as a teen horror movie. Looks very up to date and shiny, yet I never heard or saw anything on the game until I found it online.

I can top that with Obscure 2. Yep they made a second one!  I've played both.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 19, 2010, 03:38:20 am »

anyone heard of operation neptune?
the Mice Men? (a little more obscure)
I still have the operation Neptune floppies. That game is HARD for adult gamers, completely ignoring the fact that its intended for 5-8th graders.

Operation Neptune, hells yes...beat the pants off Treasure Mountain.  And yeah, it's hard, that last level on Expert was nasty.

KG

i never beat the last level, no matter what i tried i couldn't beat it. so i gave up assuming it was unwinnable XD

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 19, 2010, 11:20:34 am »

And younger gamers wonder what we talk about when we say our games were evil.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 19, 2010, 11:32:45 am »

I still have the operation Neptune floppies. That game is HARD for adult gamers, completely ignoring the fact that its intended for 5-8th graders.

Operation Neptune, hells yes...beat the pants off Treasure Mountain.  And yeah, it's hard, that last level on Expert was nasty.

KG

i never beat the last level, no matter what i tried i couldn't beat it. so i gave up assuming it was unwinnable XD

If I remember correctly, the easiest/only way I remember to do it is to dive straight down the entire left side of the shark area in one go.

KG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 19, 2010, 11:33:27 am »

Obscure.

It was also incredibly close to the classic teen horror formula. It was fun. But also gross.
I think I saw a trailer of that, bundled in with my copy of Still Life. Now that was a f-cked up game. All the naked dead girls you ever want to see.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Obscure... obscure... Oh! I got one!
« Reply #261 on: June 19, 2010, 11:36:12 am »

BeerRun
It was a random platformer I played on an apple IIe. Beer cans fell from the sky, and you could catch them for points, while dodging security guard guys with guns (I think they had guns). If I remember right, the level end was always a beer keg.

Scratch that one. That one was stupid. How about LowG man?

You are 3 pixels tall. You can jump 3 screen heights. The level is evil. Your gun only freezes things.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:42:55 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 19, 2010, 11:51:15 am »

KG

Maybe it did, but Treasure Mathstorm was bitchin'

You guys remember that math racing game, where you had to solve math problems to get money to buy race cars and race against the drag racer? (Oh nooo, oh nooo, oh noo OH NOOO!)

There was another game that was even better.  In first grade we used to fight to play Spelling Blizzard.  I just found it, and am about to play it.
Shoes...

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 19, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »

And younger gamers wonder what we talk about when we say our games were evil.

Make them play RushNAttack, it's like contra only you don't have a gun, just a knife and poor jumping skills.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 19, 2010, 05:38:02 pm »

Oh here we go.  A game so obscure I can't find it anymore.

BloodFire War.

It is in fact so obscure I'm in it!  Or I should say, there's a reference to a project I did where I made Magic the Gathering cards for people on a forum of their characters.

The dev is still around, her other games include Desert Seed, Find Tealy, Teleporter Escape, Escape from the Black Box, and Hatchlings.  All of which can be found (under-appreciated) on Kongregate.

Pathos

« Reply #265 on: June 19, 2010, 05:51:23 pm »

The dev is still around, her other games include Desert Seed, Find Tealy, Teleporter Escape, Escape from the Black Box, and Hatchlings.  All of which can be found (under-appreciated) on Kongregate.

To be honest, Kongregate people seem to only highly rate the really terribad games that spawn tons of sequels. Or are heavily advertised by the site staff themselves.

(How the hell are we meant to know if games are obscure or not? Especially on THIS site?) Probably the most obscure games I've ever played are the War Wind games (Number two was the best). They were surprisingly epic in term of character design (like cyborg aliens with two heads and chainguns fighting against fat hippies who can use magic), gameplay and the campaign mode itself. (With a branching storyline in the second one at least.)

Oh, and don't forget being able to enter any building you've build. I really enjoyed being able to do that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:52:56 pm by Pathos »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 19, 2010, 07:21:12 pm »

To be honest, Kongregate people seem to only highly rate the really terribad games that spawn tons of sequels. Or are heavily advertised by the site staff themselves.

Why make one game when you can make eight for a tiny fraction more work?

(Protector was never good, it has four of them now, and the fourth got badges after being on the site 3 days).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 19, 2010, 10:12:53 pm »

Oooh, here's a good oldie.

Operation Weather Disaster.

Only reason I remembered it was that Doctor Who just put a staircase under Stonehenge and its not the first time I've seen that.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2010, 04:36:03 am »

But Amorphous+ was so awesome, and it's still one of the highest-rated games, or at least it was the last time I checked.  :-[
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 20, 2010, 06:24:59 am »

I didn't know ObsCure was... well, obscure.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20