Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: the mother of all caveins  (Read 2457 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
the mother of all caveins
« on: October 30, 2008, 12:23:32 am »

I am planning to make the biggest fricking cavein ever seen by dwarfkind. I am going to cave in...

THE ENTIRE MAP!

I embarked with all 7 dwarves having novice miner, and 7 picks, 1 battle axe (for tree removal), and CRAPLOADS of meat and booze.

It's now early autumn of the second year of this crazy fortress. The population is 33 (why didn't I turn off immigrants), the drink is GONE, the meat is still plentiful, and we have 8 miners, 1 peasant, 8 people dedicated to harvesting every shrub on the map and turning it into booze, and everyone else is going to die in that "meeting hall" because I want my framerate of 250 back.

I hate the channelling mechanics. Go channel one square. Run all the way around the map, go up four floors, run all the way around again, and channel one square. Then run all the way back around, go down four floors, run around, channel one square...

IT'S ANNOYING they're dumber than the jocks at my school  >:(  :-X  :'(
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the mother of all caveins
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:35:50 am »

Just mine out every Z-level, construct a huge platform above the map, and drop it. You don't actually need tree removal, because the cave ins will cause the dirt the trees are on to fall inward too.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:38:17 am »

hey shoruke, caving in the map still giving ya trouble?

you must have some weird jocks at your school if all they do is dig channels.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:53:36 pm »

Since all the booze was gone, I turned the peasants into plant gatherers or brewers, and set them to turning the local vegetation into booze. Now we have "100?" units of alcohol for 1 recruit, 7 brewers, and 8 miners. One of the miners actually channeled out five consecutive tiles!

Oh and the outpost liaison came... I don't think he'll be leaving anytime soon though. He was involved in an "unfortunate mining accident" that I honestly don't know much about, but my best guess is he was standing around one of the miners (the original 7 were all miners remember?), who was channeling, and fell a couple dozen feet.

I had the fortress pop down from 33 to 21 for a bit... then migrants came 'despite the danger' and pop is back up to 28. Idiots. I really should turn off immigration, one of the brewers is tantruming repeatedly over his dead wife. We've had two fey moods, neither of which could be fulfilled for three reasons.

1) We have no workshops, aside from 3 breweries
2) We have no materials... except stone and wood
3) the moody dwarves were locked in a dehydration pit

I plan to massacre the useless among the new immigrants as well.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 09:07:14 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:11:57 pm »

Frick but these dwarves are weird. The armorer (who is basically the 'do everything we need except mine and make booze' guy) got seriously depressed and attacked a noob brewer, breaking some limbs... the brewer is quite content, because on the one hand he got seriously pwnt recently, but he also had a good day of work.

*Some time later*
population is down to 10; 7 miners and 3 herbalists dedicated to food and drink production. The armorer went berserk and killed like 5 dwarves before one of the miners killed him... and then bled to death from his injuries. All animals are either dead or set to be butchered. Framerate is back up to 250! And cat meat roast for all!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 09:35:13 pm by shoruke »

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 09:42:10 pm »

Wonderfull
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:59:30 pm »

I still think the "which tile should I channel next" function is FUBAR. Epic fail.

Anyway, population is at 20: 6 miners (5 are legendary), 5 militants, and the rest are foodmakers.

At least stuff is getting done, but boy oh boy does it take forever. I finally worked up the willpower to save the game, and set the popcap to 10, so no more idiot migrants. One of the herbalists had a baby though.

As far as eatin's goes, we have 700ish drink, 100ish 'other', and 3 meat. Yes, 3.

Edit: Oh yeah! The rhesus macaques tried to siege us to no avail. I think it has something to do with it takes four of them to kill one unarmed unskilled dwarf, and we have five armed (but sadly unarmored) militants.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 12:21:23 am »

Designate it one side at a time, rather than all at once. Dwarves prefer to channel tiles from west to east, regardless of weather or not they are adjacent.

Honestly, I'd also recommend using the ramp designation.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 12:24:18 am »

By the way . . .

Keep a little tower in the middle standing and call it a rocket ship.

Rename the fortress 'Skyveil' or something.

Dwarven Spaceship is back!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 05:35:40 pm »

you don't know how bad i want screenshots of your progress shoruke, why aren't you giving me screenshots?

your tales of whimsy on destructions of the map are hilarious.

"OK GUYS! we're caving in this map whether you like it or not!"

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 10:16:02 pm »

Okay so... updates... happy "kids with REALLY bad identity crises show up at your doorstep and scream at you for free food, which you give them" day, by the way.

Some goblin stole the marksdwarf's kid. Oh well, not like the kid was useful anyway.

The elves came. They gave us free stuff against their will. I intend to be done with this project before they get pissed enough to siege us, so it's all good.
P.S. Must not forgot to post that they 'gave' us a grizzly bear, a black bear, and a deer.

And I really, REALLY don't care about 'you have struck microline'. Stop telling me that.

And the liaison is still here. And it's mid spring. And we're talking about the liaison from the first year of the fortress here... we're on the third.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:22:45 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 12:01:42 am »

Success! Kinda. I managed to cave in the bottom couple floors, but not the rest of it. Still, it was pretty damn impressive. You all shoulda seen it. It reduced my FPS to 1, and then to 0, but it was still really really cool.

*some 15 minutes later*

By god I did it. Holy cow. It caused so much lag that I thought I'd crashed it instead. The messages are hilarious. I'll start at the moment the cavein occurred and quote every message. Okay...

Ablel Oshoshurva, Cat (tame) has been crushed under the collapsing ceiling.
You have struck wax opal!
You have struck gypsum!
Tholtig Osodment, miner has been crushed under the collapsing ceiling.
You have struck gypsum!
You have struck jet!
You have struck cherry opal!
Aban Mistemzaneg, miner has been crushed under the collapsing ceiling.
Cog Medtoborstist, miner has been crushed under the collapsing ceiling.
Urist Nilasol, miner has been crushed under the collapsing ceiling.
Goden Rulfikod, cook has been crushed under the collapsing ceiling.
You have struck gypsum!
You have struck jet!
You have struck hematite!
You have struck aventurine!
You have struck saltpeter!
You have struck kaolinite!
You have struck jet!
You have struck hematite!
You have struck kaolinite!
You have struck lignite!
You have struck anhydrite!
A section of the cavern has collapsed!

Man it's funny. FPS reduced to absolute zero for three minutes while it calculates one frame, five dwarves and a cat were killed "under the collapsing ceiling", we suddenly managed to strike every ore we haven't found yet all at the same time without using a third party hacking tool, and by the way a section of the cavern collapsed. NO SHIT SHERLOCK.

I think that making a movie of this would be kinda... weird... people wouldn't quite get the whole 'three minutes for one frame' concept. Any idea where I can like, upload the save file or something, and people can download it and watch it on their computer all they want?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 12:05:16 am by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 12:11:06 am »

*a couple minutes later*

It took quite a bit of falling, but two other dwarves and a pack animal died after "colliding with an object"... the rock at the bottom of the world. Everyone left on the surface (we still have a surface somehow) was knocked unconscious from the dust, and most were shunted away by the impact and sustained minor injuries... broken arms and torsos and such.

The bottom three floors of the world are covered in solid rock 'walls', except for where the falling rock sliced through. From the surface, there's two perpendicular lines from the middle of the map going to the edge, where the falling rock sliced right through all the other rock to the center of the planet (you should be able to create a chasm like that IMO).

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 12:21:44 am »

*Does it again just for fun*

It kills my framerate so hard it can't even calculate what the framerate is...

Hey guys! Hey guys! I discovered something awesome and cool! Wagons are completely unaffected by gravity! Seriously they don't fall. They're suspended 3 z-levels above the surface (I forget if they lost the horses tied to them) and they're just sitting there.

And I like how the bottom 2 levels, which were previously COMPLETELY empty, are now filled with (revealed) rock.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 01:10:27 pm »

you coulda atleast have taken screenshots! just a little press of the ol' 'prt scr' and you have a screenshot. describing something like that doesn't do it justice. that would be like watching the lord of the rings with a blind person, and just describing all the scenes to him.
Pages: [1] 2