Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trading platinum  (Read 2005 times)

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
Trading platinum
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:03:45 pm »

While draining a few pools which were blocking the expansion of my fortress, I happened to strike a vein of platinum.  However, now that I have the platinum, I'm not sure what to do with it.  Since I don't intend to coddle to the needs of those snooty nobles once they show (this is a hardy ironworking fortress, after all!), I decide I can trade it for useful items (like more wood for charcoal, since there isn't enough coal around and I'm deforesting the place quickly).  What would be the most profitable thing to make?
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Trading platinum
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:06:53 pm »

While draining a few pools which were blocking the expansion of my fortress, I happened to strike a vein of platinum.  However, now that I have the platinum, I'm not sure what to do with it.  Since I don't intend to coddle to the needs of those snooty nobles once they show (this is a hardy ironworking fortress, after all!), I decide I can trade it for useful items (like more wood for charcoal, since there isn't enough coal around and I'm deforesting the place quickly).  What would be the most profitable thing to make?
Bling Bolts, just decorate the bolts with the platinum, and for some reason, it gives of a stack multiplier effect.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:27:11 pm »

Bling Bolts, just decorate the bolts with the platinum, and for some reason, it gives of a stack multiplier effect.

Sounds like a plan to me.  I've bones all over the place and several bonecarvers, so churning out bolts for that shouldn't be a problem.

Ahhh... platinum encrusted elf-bone bolts...
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 07:50:07 pm »

Make a mechanism stockpile next to a forge.  Stud the mechanisms with platinum(mechanisms have a good base value).  Not sure if that's better than blinging ammo.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 09:00:07 pm »

KEEP IT!

Every time you have a strange mood coming, forbid all stone/stone blocks/bars except for platinum.

A platinum coffer studded with platinum spikes encircled with bands of platinum and encrusted horse bones is quite awesome.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 09:12:36 pm »

Hey, let me point out that if you're interested in making your exports number be high, it's better to make your bolts out of copper or iron, not bone, before you stud them with platinum.  I seem to think that copper bolts sell for like four times as much as bone bolts, and that's before you stud them with platinum.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 06:00:45 am »

If I'm not mistaken (and I might be, I haven't specifically tested it) decorating ammo has been fixed so it isn't worth an insane amount of monies anymore.

So, assuming it is fixed, bar for bar the most valuable thing you can make out of it is platinum goblets. A goblet has a value of 10, and you always get 3 of them for a value of 30 per bar. The only thing that nets a greater value is platemail at value 100 for 3 bars, giving you 33.3 monies per bar but you can't make platemail out of platinum without modding.

Either way, I'd keep the platinum and just sell stone crafts - it's not like you will ever run out of stone and you can churn them out so fast it doesn't matter how valuable they are.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 10:12:30 am »

Mmm... I'd keep the platinum handy. Use it when no other metal will do, like in moods or the tomb of a favored dwarf.

Or the road to your fort if you get tired of it.

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 12:59:16 pm »

Whenever I stumble across a rare metal, I process it into  blocks and build an obelisk out of it.

Nothing screams 'We're awesome' like a 10 storey high pillar of solid gold and platinum.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 03:16:50 pm »

Well, fixed or not, the bolts idea went down the drain.  Despite the nice piles of bolts right outside the forge, my metalcrafter decided wandering off to random stockpiles and grabbing random things would be a good idea.  I stopped him after he studded a pig tail shoe and a wooden bucket.  I'm not sure what happened, neither of them was stored anywhere near the forge.  Using some of the platinum for goblets (I've since had the liason tell me that the Mountainhome wants goblets badly) and saving the rest for later use looks to be the way to go.

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 03:30:38 pm »

Native platinum (the rock) is just as valuable as platinum metal, so I think crafting native platinum mugs should be just as profitable as metal platinum goblets (extremely profitable if you have a good stonecrafter), and you also get to save that valuable coal of yours.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 05:34:13 pm »

Native platinum (the rock) is just as valuable as platinum metal
rock=120 bar=200

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 05:40:06 pm »

Native platinum (the rock) is just as valuable as platinum metal
rock=120 bar=200

That's because bars are worth more than rocks. The materials themselves both have the same value multiplier (40).

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 05:46:50 pm »

That's because bars are worth more than rocks. The materials themselves both have the same value multiplier (40).
hmm, so does it not matter if a dwarf is using a bar, a block or a nugget for an artifact? same value in the end?

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 09:32:13 pm »

hmm, so does it not matter if a dwarf is using a bar, a block or a nugget for an artifact? same value in the end?

Part of the value of a bar comes from the fact that it is a bar - an artifact is not a bar. (part of the value of an artifact, of course, comes from the fact that it is an artifact, but we're not talking about artifacts, we're talking about crafts - which also have a base value, and a goblet is actually the same thing as a mug)
Pages: [1] 2