Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My gnolls crash the game  (Read 961 times)

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My gnolls crash the game
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:50:14 pm »

For some reason, these poor puppies make my game crash consistently within a year of starting, even though playing as dwarves with the exact same installation does not.
It also tends to be around autumn/winter, so perhaps the game is trying to do something that is impossible with them?

Here's the creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's the entity:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My gnolls crash the game
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:32:44 pm »

I don't think that you can say that there start biome is any land...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 02:48:11 pm »

It looks like you didn't give them progress triggers in the entity definition, maybe that's the reason?  I don't know if that would cause a crash or not, but they're probably needed for something, and it would explain why the crash is delayed.

Try copying the progress triggers from dwarf entity or whatever.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 04:04:20 pm »

Is there anything in your error log?

Edit: It should be [BIOME:ANY_LAND]. Not [BIOME_ANY_LAND]. There's yer problem.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:55:13 pm »

Untelligent: Thanks, I've changed that, and am testing it now. Though from looking at other creatures it seems I dont need to include the tag at all. Dwarves for example lack it completely.

Footkerchief: I'm sorry, what are progress triggers? If I remember correctly, I did actually copy and modify the dwarf entity anyway, so even if I did not consciously include them they should be in there, whatever they are.
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:56:44 pm »

Untelligent: Thanks, I've changed that, and am testing it now. Though from looking at other creatures it seems I dont need to include the tag at all. Dwarves for example lack it completely.

Footkerchief: I'm sorry, what are progress triggers? If I remember correctly, I did actually copy and modify the dwarf entity anyway, so even if I did not consciously include them they should be in there, whatever they are.

On a creature, biome will make them appear there as wild animals I believe.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 11:30:29 pm »

I notice a "fangs" body token. This isn't default, did you add it properly to the body raw?

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:42:33 pm »

Yes, the fangs are a custom body token. And aside from the fact that making them [internal] didn't seem to hide them, they have not caused any problems, and the crashing already occured before I added them.

Captain Mayday: Yeah I noticed that, so I might as well leave the token out of my creature definition then?

So far, my new test 'fortress' has reached late autumn without a problem, aside from the fact my gnolls have no beds and no dining room, sleeping and eating in the mud. But thats their problem.

Edit: late autumn 2nd year now, so it seems the [Biome:any_land] thing worked, though I can't see how...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 12:49:05 am by Hakar »

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 12:50:54 am »

It could be that you were playing with fortress mode creatures and then more creatures classified as fortress mode creatures spawned as wild creatures, and the game didn't know what to do.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 01:23:07 am »

No, I figured it out. One or more of the toys they have in their entity entry do not exist.

Hakar cancels modding, interrupted by braindamage. :p
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:32:44 am by Hakar »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 02:59:32 am »

My mistake.  They're things that control the arrival of other civs at your site, but dwarves don't have them as default, because in regular dwarf mode your civ starts trading with you immediately.  If anything you should probably add the triggers to dwarves while playing as gnolls.

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 03:09:01 am »

Thanks, I added that anyway, on the off chance that they might be willing to trade despite any... differences in ethics.

Alright, I've removed all new toys from their entity entry (though somehow they are now making only miniatures) and running that game until they starve or it crashes.
After an entire winter of creating toys and crafts, and no crashes, it would appear that one or more of the toys I added makes the game crash. So in short, gnolls do not like toys.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:46:05 am by Hakar »