Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 is the year of the Dwarf  (Read 1446 times)

Caskman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
2009 is the year of the Dwarf
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:50:47 pm »

Wow I thought this was pretty neat.  I took the Number and plotted it on a graph starting at 1295 and on down till the most recent number (which was 10/21 at the time of this post) and took the best fit line.  Based on the line, Toady should be done with the number and reach 0 by January 1, 2009, 72 days from today.  Of course this will change as Toady decreases the number and actually, the line doesn't take into account Toady's breaks at the end of the month so this isn't really realistic but hey just for kicks :)

and sorry Toady, not trying to set a deadline for you, just anxiously curious to know when I'll be able to ravage the world with my armies so don't feel rushed at all (and you probably won't)
 reject your reality and substitute my own

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 is the year of the Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:44:52 am »

I'm too tired to understand what you just said.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:47:10 am »

He took the number that Toady is using to say how many lines left in his notes file of things he wants to have complete by the next release and graphed it (1275 on 10/18, 1254 on 10/19, etc.) and figured out when that would hit 0.

Of course...the progress isn't linear, even on average.  The last 10% or so always takes longer.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:14:32 am »

I'm also guessing that some of the middle bits will go a bit faster. I hope.
Magma is overrated.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:52:44 am »

You could try and extrapolate his rate of progress on the current number based on how he did with the last countdown, before all the fancy world-gen stuff.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Caskman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 01:56:04 am »

Hey yeah, good idea I'll do that sometime tomorrow if someone else hasn't already done that...my eyes are closed right now :)
 reject your reality and substitute my own

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 03:38:41 am »

And it's not as if this release includes any ravaging the world with your armies either.  Just the yellow bits.  So you'll have to add some further time for that.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 04:22:15 am »

And it's not as if this release includes any ravaging the world with your armies either.  Just the yellow bits.  So you'll have to add some further time for that.

Yeah, sadly /me won't be able to wreak havoc on the world for quite some time ...ah well, /me wait patiently.  ;D

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 04:57:35 am »

Well if we could get the Number of things that are to solve untill Df version 1.0.0.0 we could get the the exact deadline till the destruction of the world ... erm i mean when its done.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 06:24:53 am »

Hey yeah, good idea I'll do that sometime tomorrow if someone else hasn't already done that...my eyes are closed right now :)
That someone would be me:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20091.msg213727#msg213727

P.S. I'm still thinking if I should make "LASD can scientifically predict the future! How about you?" my signature, but most of the time I think that it would make my ego too happy.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:29:49 am by LASD »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 04:09:59 pm »

Personally I can't see DF ever being done. It will just continue to be an ever-blossoming flower growing more and more awesome as time goes on.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 04:12:23 pm »

Personally I can't see DF ever being done. It will just continue to be an ever-blossoming flower growing more and more awesome as time goes on.

Depends...v1.0 is a reality. Beyond that I don't intend to speculate.  :)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 04:25:11 pm »

No, he's right.  Toady just keeps having more and more awesome ideas.  It will never truly be finished, even if we get to version 1 (there will probably be patches later)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 04:33:10 pm »

No, he's right.  Toady just keeps having more and more awesome ideas.  It will never truly be finished, even if we get to version 1 (there will probably be patches later)

The CORE list is completed up to v1.0
Only the suggested features are not on the master list. However those suggestions are basically ideas related to enchance/upgrade the existing or upcoming features. [IE: Eternal Voting]
Either way I will be a VERY happy dwarf human, when the Army Arc gonna be implemented.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:36:00 pm by Tormy »