Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Craft Thread!  (Read 3020 times)

orion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Craft Thread!
« on: October 22, 2008, 07:25:41 am »

Here's a little project i've been working on at school.

edit: changed picture from imageshack to tinypic

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:32:33 am by orion »

orion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craft Thread!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:35:02 am »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:37:20 am by orion »

orion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:47:57 am »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:57:22 am by orion »

orion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:00:12 am »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 02:35:49 pm »

Ooohh! Screen printing!

Gonna put that on a shirt?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 04:02:08 pm »

You can (and should) post more then one image per post.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 05:53:42 pm »

No, no, no.  You don't craft thread, you weave it.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 08:29:24 pm »

No, you process the plant at a farmer's workshop...
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:03:54 pm »

No, you process the plant at a farmer's workshop...

Why bother, if you're a noble you can just make a mandate, and pull your nice +limestone lever+.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 09:46:11 pm »

Maybe make one with the military dwarf icon and a smart tagline below it like Dwarfpwn'd or something.  (okay maybe that one's not that smart)

You could make graphics will 2 or 3 DF ASCII characters in all kinds of different scenarios, (goblins with the red "dead" color all around them come to mind),  it could become almost a kind of DF-insider t-shirt company.

Take over the school communications lab and start running your own business out of it, demand that the school order more inks, in more colors.  Convince the school to allow you to do it and cut them in on the profits.  Start a political campaign for more business training in high schools and funnel all of the proceeds into your t-shirt company.

The possibilities really are endless.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

orion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 10:02:36 pm »

i love the idea of the insider tshirt company.

i don't have any time right now to streamline any kind of workflow.  I'll make some of the really cool ideas happen. the less colors the better.

here's what inspired it all.  this hoodie idea is impossible, with all the terrain wrapped around the hood and all.

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 11:05:58 pm »

With an internet-based store it definitely could work with the right approach.  Don't go with a print on demand company though, but there are a lot of options for using local printers or printing them yourself.

There are probably a lot of people out there who would spend $20 on a really good DF shirt or sweatshirt.

(oh, and you might have to pay Toady some royalties, hehe)
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

orion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 11:38:55 pm »

I agree. Handling orders / payments over the internet would be the least hassle. I have very little experience with any type of e-commerce. The company I work for uses credit cards for online purchases direct to consumer for printed industrial products, that might be a good start to glean some information. From what I hear paypal, although they take a cut and is cumbersome (requiring customers to have an account etc) is a quick way to get things started.

my biggest motivation right now is getting involved with like minded individuals (DF players) and communicating with them in regards to expressing their interest in DF visually, through t - shirts.

I like wearing this T around campus and imagining people saying "WTF is that"

Alot of people in the office think it's the mooninites, from ATHF. One kid told me i forgot the feet and middle finger.

I love the sketch thread, seeing how different players visualize their DF, items, characters, events, experience. To me DF is like reading a book, imagination makes the game totally different to every player. Imagination makes the game, i want to celebrate that!

oh! and one more thing DF players might find interesting, the reason i included the hash texture in the dwarf logo is because i intended the whole thing to look as if it was carved out of the underground. The scale is a bit off, but thats what i was going for. Like a big underground shrine/temple.

my graphic design teacher said she really thought the diagonal line/hash texture made the image. She made the argument that if the dwarf logo was solid, it wouldn't look as striking, i kinda liked the idea that toady developed this simple way of representing walls in the game (diagonal lines) and that just happened to be pleasing when used in another application (apparel)

I remember hearing some interviews on podcasts with the toady one where he was expressing his interest in keeping the game as non-commercial as possible, for fear it could get out of his control.  I'm in agreement with that sentiment. I belive he used tshirts explicitly as an example, as well as stuff such as the 3d dwarf mods.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 11:44:06 pm »

... that is an awesome shirt. I am jealous. I like the little % and all that floating around, it gave me a crazy idea for a weird dwarven underground crop-circle ...

It would be nice if we could produce these en masse for the DF fans. However, I recall Toady posting on this forum to say that he doesn't want to advertise an incomplete game, in addition to the reasons you posted. I'm sure making them for personal use is completely fine, though. I can imagine walking down the street with that shirt on, and some other B12 fan will ask if you made the shirt from pig tail, thoroughly amusing you and horrifying some poor innocent passerby.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

glitchopo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 01:38:10 am »

that shirt is awesome! I love the hoody even more. I love that you included unmined underground terrain.

I had an idea for t-shirts too (a little different but similar too). Yours is really cool. Great graphic sense. One of the things that I really like about DF is the graphics. People often think that I'm just being intentionally obscure or weird when I tell them this but it's true. It's the economy of symbols, that everything you see is really meaningful that I enjoy.  :D

again, great job!
Pages: [1] 2