Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The skill synergy thread  (Read 4711 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
The skill synergy thread
« on: October 22, 2008, 02:47:12 am »

This expands on the previous synergy ideas. Attributes (marked green) generally not discussed here.
Goals:
-decrease the general amount of skills
-strengthen the bonds between same professions (woodcutter+carpenter etc).
-allow civilian dwarfs to use their experience with hammers, axes or knives in combat (they'd still lack the agility to fight properly of course)
-allow for greater versatility and modability (you could mod in any job by simply deciding on its material, tool and result)

The basic idea is that there are three groups of skills:
Work Material- What is being worked on
Work Tool- What is being worked with
Other- Stuff that involves neither a tool nor a material

MATERIAL:
Stone
Metal
Wood
Gem
Cloth
Bone
Animal
Corpse
Plant
Leather
Food
Drink
Mechanics
Adamantine

TOOL:
Manual
Hammer
Chisel
Saw
Axe
Knife
Pick
Fishing Rod
Wrench
Shield
Armour
Weapons
Musical Instruments

OTHER:
Swimming, social skills, The new skills, and some other skill ideas like healing.

EXAMPLES!
fish cleaning: Corpse+Knife
Woodcutting: Wood+Axe
Carpentry: Wood+Saw
Engraving: Stone+Chisel
Animal trainer: Empathy+animals
Blacksmith: Metal+Hammer+(the knowledge about the tool you're trying to create)
Pump Operator: Strength+Manual
Wood Burner: Wood+Manual
Butcher: Axe+Knife+Animal
Axe Combat: Agility+Axe+Armour+Shield

Sounds good? Vote here.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 04:20:58 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 03:10:51 am »

I like it! I think a good way to do this is to divide the skills into subskills of the types you've mentioned, Work Type, Material, and tool being used. The total experience for a skill could be calculated from the experience in the subskills. The idea of dwarves picking up on new skills easier because of some past experience has been around for a while, but this is a great way to go about it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A different approach to skills
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:34:43 am »

Personally I think we can do without the tool.  By including it you've actually made the skill list longer not shorter.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 03:41:00 am »

Yes, I meant the skill list of a single dwarf, not ALL the skills in game (that list is going to get infinitely long with time anyway).
<3

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:41:14 am »

I like it. For reference, here's a very similar snippet from the Armok manual:

Quote from: Armok manual
Professions are collections of skills.  A carpenter, for instance, is familiar with many types of wood (Material Familiarity skills), is good at sawing and hammering (Manual Labor skills), has an eye for distance (Measuring skill), and is able to handle tools of the trade (Item Wielding skills).  An individual carpenter is also familiar with specific items, such as the balance of his or her own hammer.  Finally, a carpenter has the knowledge of how to construct various wood joints and perhaps how to build many types of furniture, among other things (Construction skills).  The talent of the carpenter is roughly the sum of his or her skills and the attributes that are used to perform these skills (that is, a clumsy carpenter, no matter how knowledgeable, is still clumsy and might hammer his or her thumb).  Teams of professionals working together can complement each other by doing what each does best.

Since it was (apparently) in Armok, it seems likely Toady is at least considering it for DF.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 02:03:29 pm »

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 02:09:32 pm »

I support this. Of course you could get a task done with just one of the things needed, but in order to reach maximum quality you need really good tools/materials/skills.

Also, Align, I saw that thread when it was made. I supported that too.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

Align: yes, I haven't seen the exact thread but I've seen the idea mentioned somewhere. I have indeed based on it.

EDIT: Hmm, this is nice, it also allows much easier modability! Didn't even think of it.
Anyone knows when the Eternal Voting's coming back? :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:32:49 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 04:07:53 pm »

I'd be happy for dwarves to level up faster in related disciplines, like if a metalcrafter was given a blacksmithing task or a stonecrafter told to do some masonry.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 04:13:50 pm »

I support this.

Little niggly point: butchers would use a knife, not an axe.

And how would this work for skills like swimming?
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 04:22:26 pm »

Unfortunately, skills like swimming fall in the fourth group (OTHER). So no synergy for those.

To be even MORE precise, Dizzy, I think a buther would use a cleaver- and I think that one's closer to an axe than a knife.
But yeah- point is: do we mean the act of simply killing the animal or dissecting it into usable pieces?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:24:00 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 04:42:34 pm »

I would say dissecting, otherwise it would just use basic combat skill.

I would also divide the types up more.  Right now, it looks like a woodcutter who took time off for crossbow practice once in a while would be as good at fighting with an axe as a woodcutter who spent enough time sparring to get the same combat skill, which doesn't seem right.  And the difference between, say, mining and woodcutting is greater than the difference in tools and materials, I think.

Maybe have groupings of skills, both in technique and material?  Working with steel should count for something when adamantine becomes available.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 04:43:29 pm »

To be even MORE precise, Dizzy, I think a buther would use a cleaver- and I think that one's closer to an axe than a knife.
But yeah- point is: do we mean the act of simply killing the animal or dissecting it into usable pieces?

Well, cleavers were used when it was needed to mass produce meat, but would waste more meat. Maybe you'd be able to choose between the two? Choose axe for cleaver, which would be quicker, or choose knife for slower work, but with more meat resulting.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 05:32:18 pm »

Hmmm... Perhaps melee combat and ranged combat as separate skill types? Would make sense, I guess.

And I, for one, believe that the MAIN difference between mining and woodcutting IS tools and materials.
BUT even if it isn't, I believe it's still a pretty good approximation.
<3

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 06:03:36 pm »

Well, cleavers were used when it was needed to mass produce meat, but would waste more meat. Maybe you'd be able to choose between the two? Choose axe for cleaver, which would be quicker, or choose knife for slower work, but with more meat resulting.

I thought the cleaver was needed in order to be able cut through bone.
Pages: [1] 2 3