Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Furnishing a High Quality Room  (Read 1118 times)

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Furnishing a High Quality Room
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 05:57:12 pm »

Any item that's valuable and buildable should be considered worth building.  Levers, floodgates, coffins, whatever works.

I've found that over time decorations accumulate on bags, particularly plant fiber images.  Furthermore, since bags are functional you'll have a whole bunch of them, and since their raw materials are plentiful they're easily replaced.

Take advantage of those occasional super-valuable bags by dropping them into a room to boost its value.  A masterwork bag of masterfully dyed pig tail with a masterwork image in masterfully dyed pig tail is too good to stuff with quarry bush leaves.

Bags also don't block walls or egress like statues do.

The only reason I use rock coffers in rooms is to keep the housing affordable when the economy starts.

Mechanisms can also sometimes accumulate a great deal of value, and levers are the easiest way to cash in.

Something else to keep in mind: if you designate a room with multiple functions, the designating items will count only toward their own function's value.
That means if you have an artifact coffin and two plain wooden ones and you want the King and Queen to share a burial chamber you need to build all 3 coffins in the same room, designate the couple's coffins as the pine boxes and leave the masterwork coffin empty.  If you don't the artifact will only contribute value to whomever you assign to it.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 10:03:34 pm »

When I look at the stocks screen for prepared meals, they're all listed as about the same thing: "Prepared meal (1580)". In other words, my stocks screen doesn't tell me what the prepared meal is. Is this a lack of skill on my Bookkeeper's part? I've had him for several years on the highest setting. I haven't checked, but I assumed he's been legendary for quite some time. And yes, I know the wonder of the Stocks screen. Gotta love it.

And yes, I keep all my bone/shell/skull stockpiles inside, and yes, I have a fishery to process the turtle. My fisherman just don't catch a lot of turtle; I have no river, I'm in a swamp (though in my last fort I can certainly relate to catching loads of turtles). When I made the comment about understanding the game earlier, I meant to say nicely that I'm fairly good, and understand how almost everything works fairly well.

I thought about making my statues out of the ore, but I'm going with Sterling silver to increase value. I've found several silver veins, along with lots of copper (from hematite, I think) so I figured I might as well. It doesn't matter too much. Oh, and I have magma. Yeah. It's NICE.

Finally: to sum up the tidbits I've read, if I have a wall with two statues in front of it, both statues count towards room value, but the engravings past the first one don't? Am I correct in this interpretation?
Now you will know why you fear the night!

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 12:08:07 am »

Hit z or x (one of those) to switch from "general summary" to "individual item list" on the stocks screen. This lets you forbid/dump/otherwise play with settings for items of a certain category without having to find them in the fort.

And I think that's probably a good interpretation of it. I'm not sure how the engraving devaluing works, but I can assure you that if you set up the room size/space FIRST, then the value of all buildings set up after the fact will count for the room value even if it goes through multiple layers of dark blue/would be impossible to redesignate without removing all the statues.
Short version: Make room first, fill with statues, lose engraving value if anything.

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 12:27:18 am »

Yeah, I just figured out how to switch modes at the stocks screen! I sat down, puzzled, thought "They can do something I can't!" and saw the button. Heh. It helps. A LOT.

Well, unless there's something I've forgotten, that about wraps up the topic. Thanks for everything, all of you!  ;D
Now you will know why you fear the night!
Pages: 1 [2]