Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A community world...  (Read 1372 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A community world...
« on: October 22, 2008, 12:20:37 am »

I'm sure its been mentioned before, but rather than a community fortress, would anyone be interested in setting up an entire world that gets passed back and forth? A world with everything, with plenty of interesting sites and embarkation locations, that we take turns building fortresses/dungeons/deathtraps in, perhaps 10-15 years in game/days out of game out of game (whichever comes first) at a time?

After everybody who wants to builds and abandons their fortress, its redistributed to everyone and we then explore it in adventure mode.

So, would anyone be interested?

Obviously, this would take quite a while to do, but I think it would be great fun to go and explore a whole bunch of other people's forts in a single world.

And obviously, we'd try to minimizing talking about our fortresses - they are meant to be SURPRISES for the other players, and would be built with that in mind as well. After the world is "completed", or at least after it's got a few fortresses running in it, we could start a seperate explore the world thread where people discuss the fortresses that they found and try to figure out who built them, what the point was, etc. (and hopefully the creator can keep quiet).

While thats happening, there's no reason the community world can't keep going either - perhaps released to the adventure thread every 5 or so fortresses?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:25:11 am by GlyphGryph »

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: A community world...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 12:21:49 am »

Seems to large a task to get past the first stage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 12:28:26 am »

I dunno... it wouldn't seem to be more work than the community fortresses, just take a bit longer.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:22:56 am »

I'd be interested.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 07:43:56 am »

Ooooh!  Finally a chance to put one of my more...  exotic... fortress designs to use.

hehehehe...

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 09:35:24 am »

I'd love to, but I'd rather wait for Toady to release the new version. I think a lot of good stuff may be added when he breaks save game compatibility, and I'd hate it if weeks were spent on this project, only to see it forgotten because we've got new toys to play with..

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 09:39:12 am »

Isn't there the world of traps and attractions already? It's in the adventure mode forum.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 04:06:17 pm »

Indeed there is.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 03:53:01 am »

I like this idea. It should be great for exploring. Remember to put in nasty inventive booby traps. ;-)

About waiting for the new version: Depends on how long it'll take. I think we should have at least ten forts. So how long would it take a player to do a good one? I'm too new too judge.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 04:19:20 am »

To get a decent fort set up for adventuring usually takes me, oh... four or five days?

I could do two or three smaller forts in that time - if everyone gets ten days, they could use it to litter the world with tiny forts with something interesting in them or build one huge deathtrap.

I'll have to check out that world in the Adventure Mode forum...

So, say we have 5 people, 10 days each, that would take... almost two months to finish. Hmmm... In that case, we might want to wait for the new version. Any day now, right? ;)

How long does everyone think they would need to build a fort anyway?

Also, does anyone have any REALLY awesome worlds to seed this with?