Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Nethack Discussion Topic  (Read 13659 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack Discussion Topic
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2008, 05:06:42 am »

Every time I hear that poem, I get an image of a mother reading it to her son for pillow talk. That poem is like one huge incestuous metaphor one after the other.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2008, 05:39:57 am »

Okay, I'm shutting my brain down now in order to prevent that image from taking root.  Catch you later.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2008, 07:02:51 am »

Open-minded! You must be open-minded! Don't let the jubjub bird get shunned by the bandersnatch!

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2008, 11:00:38 pm »

How do you remove a leash from a pet?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2008, 01:14:57 am »

Every time I hear that poem, I get an image of a mother reading it to her son for pillow talk. That poem is like one huge incestuous metaphor one after the other.

Okay, I relinquish my rank of "Most Corrupt Forum Member" to umiman.  Congratulations.

I would never have been able to see the connection.  I still don't.  It is because of this that I must acknowledge the fact that I am no longer suited for the position of Most Corrupt.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2008, 12:18:42 am »

My best character, a Monk named Wok, just died. He had a pretty good round, making it to level 6, finding various wands and rings (The rings were all cursed. Bah.) He apparently killed his pet dog (I didn't, but it said little dog in the list of things he killed, and I never killed one.) He went down another level, absolutely sure that he'd be fine. Enters a room, gets in a fight with a dwarf lord that puts him to 25 health (Out of 45. OUch.) Panicking, I run out of there and see an approaching red ant. Reading that it's a fire ant, I dicide "Heh, an ant, I can take him. One of my potions burst into flames, but I kept attacking, hoping for luck. Thinking back, I really should have quaffed a few potions or something. But, the next thing that happened would destroy any meaning of that.

You hear a Banshee wail! Your spellbook bursts into flames! You die...

Yes, my greatest character, dead from a flaming book. A blessed flaming book. Oh, the gods of irony had fun with this one...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2008, 04:55:50 am »

How do you remove a leash from a pet?

Apply it to the pet a second time.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2008, 11:19:38 am »

Ants are really bad for low-level characters.  According to the Big List O' Deaths, it's the number one killer.
Shoes...

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2008, 01:28:36 pm »

I don't generally polymorph pets anymore - I've ended up with a blue jelly and no charges one too many times for that. The kitties and puppies are pretty good early on anyway. I prefer to use polymorph wands (And wishes, if I've already got a solid kit) to make magic markers out of surplus unicorn horns and magic whistles.

My favorite death ever was my best character yet - a ridiculously powerful Valkyrie in the depths of Gehennom. I was fully kitted out to Ascend. +5 Mjollnir, gauntlets of power, gray dragon scale mail, shield of reflection, AC of -40 and ~350 hp, all blessed gear, requisite dead lizard, the works. I had killed a cockatrice on the first level of the Wizard of Yendor's tower, when I got the idea to use it to make my run that much easier.

In fairness, it did. Blazed my way through the levels of the tower, barely taking any damage and leaving a host of statues in my wake. I burst into the Wizard of Yendor's sanctum, and turned him to stone the turn after he woke up. Rodney never even had a chance.  Took my pickaxe from the Bag of Holding, shattered his statue, and retrieved the Book of the Dead.

Then I took off my Gauntlets of Power to cast identify on it. I was still wielding the rubber chicken.

You turn to stone. DYWYPI?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2008, 02:08:50 pm »

Of all the dev team's evil creations the cockatrice stands out as particularly wicked.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2008, 02:27:06 pm »

I was in a big room once, and I had just killed a cockatrice that was right next to me with a wand, I was standing on the stairs battling hordes of monsters, when suddenly a soldier picked up the cockatrice corpse.  I took those stairs five at a time.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2008, 06:58:41 pm »

Pet-polymorph is really cool when it works.  My gnome healer (my default nethack character, which is why I haven't gotten that far very often) once had a bone demon running around on a leash.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2008, 11:35:32 pm »

Healers aren't bad, you just have to play to their strengths and NEVER EVER EVER engage in melee. I usually end up throwing a lot of rocks and hiding behind my pets.

But, hey, with the Spellbook of Infinite Meatballs, at least its not physically possible to starve.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2008, 01:11:34 am »

Bone demons! Argh! So annoying!

Anyway, never blame cockatrice corpses for your YASDs. It's silly. Blame yourself for looking for shorcuts without precautions. Tsk tsk tsk.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2008, 01:05:36 pm »

YASDs are the player's fault by definition. I like to look back on that one as a reminder that even a super-powerful ultra-badass can't afford to be an idiot.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7