Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Nethack Discussion Topic  (Read 13646 times)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack Discussion Topic
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2008, 12:45:38 am »

I started a Wizard tonight. She had a ring of invisibility and a ring of free action. I was a happy camper.

The she got turned it a were-jaguar. Grr.  :'(

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2008, 01:36:35 am »

Better than getting turned into a were-rat and not being able to find any holy water in the entire fucking world >_<
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2008, 11:10:13 am »

It was actually kind of funny. I was going to do all of the main characters from the D&D Time of Troubles book series. She was Midnight, the Wizard who eventually ascends to be the new Goddess of Magic. While playing, I was considering how I was going to run Kelemvor, the warrior with a werejaguar curse. Then she became a were-jaguar. It was kind of amusing.

But since I couldn't remember the names of the other characters (except Cyric, but he was obvious) I gave up.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2008, 10:57:38 pm »

Wow, once I finally established a loot base and learned how to enchant armor and whatnot, you get a lot further. The beginning seems to be the biggest challenge. Basically, I got a 160k score this time and my high score before that was 9k, haha. I eventually ran into a problem tho. I got to floor 19 or so and couldn't advance any further because there was a room with about 15 cockatrice. Any hints on how to kill those things en masse? I know there's something about lizard corpse, but don't understand it.

But yeah, since I couldn't beat them I decided to go on my quest and was killed by Surt, which leads to my second question: he kept attacking me and disappearing. What was that?

Anyway, Excalibur + throwing Mjolnir = win!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2008, 12:10:23 am »

I eventually ran into a problem tho. I got to floor 19 or so and couldn't advance any further because there was a room with about 15 cockatrice. Any hints on how to kill those things en masse? I know there's something about lizard corpse, but don't understand it.

To kill things en masse you'll have to use spells. Otherwise take standard precautions about their stoning abilities and all is good. Cockatrice is weak physically, numbers don't make much of a difference once you can deal with stoning.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But yeah, since I couldn't beat them I decided to go on my quest and was killed by Surt, which leads to my second question: he kept attacking me and disappearing. What was that?

Many "boss" monsters will teleport away when they are hurt. They all teleport to the upstairs of the level, heal for a few turns, then teleport back to you.

To kill them you will have to do it in a single blow (/ of Death, etc.), or stand on the upstairs yourself and fight the boss there.

Anyway, Excalibur + throwing Mjolnir = win!

I am in the camp of people who consider throwing Mojo a bad move... Excalibur is nice indeed, except that it tells all monsters to home-in on you. No problem if you can handle it, but if you're in a bad state...

smeej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2008, 02:25:45 am »

Well I feel that a Valkyrie should be forever embroiled in combat, so Excalibur really helps in that regard.

Yeah, throwing Mjolnir is basically a Bad Idea, but I can accept everything on me blowing up for the sheer coolness. I tend to throw knives for the most part.

I really should have just torn thru those Cockatrice. Stupid cowardice.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2008, 04:25:19 am »

Well I feel that a Valkyrie should be forever embroiled in combat, so Excalibur really helps in that regard.
Both Valhalla and Demi-godhood are great! ;)

I really should have just torn thru those Cockatrice. Stupid cowardice.
I stay well away from *one* chickatrice if I don't have all the precautions... I would turn around immediately if I find a cockatrice den without at least 2 lizard corpses.

I had a character in Fort Ludios, and a soldier zapped a wand of cold and killed a cockatrice, leaving a corpse. The trice was deep inside an endless wave of soldiers and captains. Had that been a wand of lightning, I would missed seeing a soldier picking the trice corpse up, and became a statue soon after.

Footrice is always dangerous... it's not cowardice to back away, it's wisdom. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]