Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Nethack Discussion Topic  (Read 13654 times)

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack Discussion Topic
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2008, 09:08:21 am »

Wish for another wand of wishing.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2008, 09:42:52 am »

According to the wiki, that doesn't work.  I wished for gauntlets of power, and then a horrible tragedy resulted in the rest of the charges being wasted(I wished for a scroll of charging so I could recharge it, but misspelled it, getting a scroll of light instead, and then got it, only to find it couldn't recharge a wand of wishing, and the wand of wishing was out of charges after that)

EDIT:  He just died to an Elf Lord.  Amazingly, I don't have a problem with that.  I got farther than I ever have, and I was really getting screwed over right before I died.  I was almost starting to want to die.  Like everything in my inventory was cursed from a "This water's no good!", and other horrible things.  A lot of it was getting rusty and my bag of holding was cursed.  That is a true nightmare.

Set Phasers for Pwnage.  I used my pet to steal two rings from the store.  In an amazing shift from my normally horrible luck, I got a ring of polymorph and a ring of polymorph control.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:02:13 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2008, 03:05:06 pm »

Cthulu: A ring of polymorph isn't particularly useful unless you're female. By the way, never polymorph yourself into another of your own species. NEVER.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2008, 03:17:41 pm »

What happens?

I found out....

Also, I now have a baby black dragon through polymorphing.  I named it Jormungandr, and my dog is named Garm.

It's fun to stick to a theme.

EDIT:  Why are pets so impossible?  Either they fall in a pit, or step on a trap, and I have to start over(I use them for BUC), or when I"m trying to use them, they won't go where I want them to go.  I've spent several minutes trying to get my dog to go into this dead-end to force it to step over an item, and it's borderline impossible.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:17:36 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2008, 02:51:08 pm »

Maybe because the item is cursed?

Using pets to BUC is not as easy as the wiki might proclaim. It's easier to carry the stuff around until you find an altar and just drop it there. Get a bag of holding and bless it asap. There's a 50% chance of one in Sokoban. I actually found two in one game, one right after the other. I also usually let my pets do their thing and when I'm ready to leave, use a magic whistle to call them (when I find one, if not, use a leash). I had a pet Jabberwock, pet silver dragon and pet black dragon once. The silver was killed by

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quite saddening. I doubt that you can actually ascend with a pet. If anything, you should keep them alive as long as you can, but if you can't help it, their death isn't that big of a deal.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2008, 02:53:15 pm »

I hadn't dropped the item yet, I was trying to get it to stand in a dead end and then I'd drop the item in front of it, but it would get almost to the spot, and then run like ten tiles away, and make me start over.

Are Jabberwocks strong?
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

It does 2d10 damage x 4. It's very tough and can fly. Also, you can use it as a steed.

I just like jabberwocks too as they burble when you talk to them. (Instead of pet dragons who just like to snarl and hiss at you)

Minotaurs are difficulty 17 while jabberwocks are 18, if that helps. Dragons are difficulty 20 but do way less damage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2008, 03:21:26 pm »

Yeah, Minotaurs are what got my mid-level Barbarian.  I was level 13, and I had reached the Medusa level, in order to get to her I dug down and was accosted by two minotaurs.  I didn't know how much of a smackdown they could bring forth, and I underestimated them.  I beat them both, but moved on without checking my HP, and died to the elf-lord mentioned in a previous post.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2008, 03:26:44 pm »

Hmm... I had a titan as a pet once. It was incredible. It could use magic and turn itself constantly invisible. It could use weapons and armour. Not to mention it was stupidly fast and powerful and usually wiped the level clean before I even got anywhere.

Too bad it hit a polymorph trap later while cleansing another level.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2008, 03:27:45 pm »

What did it turn into?

I turned my cat into a Hezrou one time, but I decided to polymorph it one more time, and it turned into a gnome mummy.
Shoes...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2008, 03:48:55 pm »

What did it turn into?

I turned my cat into a Hezrou one time, but I decided to polymorph it one more time, and it turned into a gnome mummy.

Haha. Do not test the power of the polymorph. I always get something cruddy like a goblin or a horse.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2008, 03:56:44 pm »

And Finnigan dictates that if you cast polymorph on an enemy, it will turn into something worse.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2008, 03:59:20 pm »

I never tried polymorphing an enemy, but I've found that polymorphing a pet will turn it into something awesome.  However, if the polymorpher decides he'd like something else, it will turn into something lame, and the wand will run out of charges.
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2008, 10:06:02 pm »

TYR'S SHOE!!!

I just found said polymorph-character's body, including his rings.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2008, 04:16:34 am »

I hadn't dropped the item yet, I was trying to get it to stand in a dead end and then I'd drop the item in front of it, but it would get almost to the spot, and then run like ten tiles away, and make me start over.

Are Jabberwocks strong?

Beware the Jabberwock, my son,
the jaws that bite, the claws that catch
Beware the jubjub bird and shun
the frumious bandersnatch!
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7