Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attribute "rust" might cause permanent bed rest?  (Read 1490 times)

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
Attribute "rust" might cause permanent bed rest?
« on: October 21, 2008, 05:12:50 pm »

Just a little thought I had.
If a dwarf's ability to recover from injury cannot be "trained" due to that injury, a badly injured (or just plain unlucky) dwarf might be in bed long enough that his ability to recover from the debilitating injury could rust enough that he could never heal- even just for something like a broken limb.
Now, obviously, healing will be different with the new version with scars and whatnot, but it still bears thinking about that what might otherwise be a fairly minor injury might cause a permanent disability. I mean, there's some truth in that, but infection (or whatever justification you want to use) probably doesn't want to be inevitable for a... uh... non-recuperation endowed (I think resilience is probably a better word for that stat- it actually has an adjective form) dwarf who breaks his arm. Or stubs his toe, I guess, dwarves being the whiners they are.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Attribute "rust" might cause permanent bed rest?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 05:19:38 pm »

Nah..probably there will be a minimum attrib level, and the creatures won't go below that. [..that would make sense at least]

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 05:23:27 pm »

Also: Wouldn't a resting dwarf be using his resilience by definition?

Could be major for other things, though. It's a good point.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:32:19 pm »

Nah..probably there will be a minimum attrib level, and the creatures won't go below that. [..that would make sense at least]
Maybe, or at least it the rust could slow down dramatically after a certain point so that they wouldn't be, say, a permanent vegetable.

Also: Wouldn't a resting dwarf be using his resilience by definition?

Could be major for other things, though. It's a good point.
You know, that's a good point. If an attribute is trained by doing stuff related to it, and in order for it to be distinct from Endurance it shouldn't be trained on all of the same stuff... would a dwarf's ability to recover be trained by having an injury?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:33:01 pm »

Just a little thought I had.
If a dwarf's ability to recover from injury cannot be "trained" due to that injury, a badly injured (or just plain unlucky) dwarf might be in bed long enough that his ability to recover from the debilitating injury could rust enough that he could never heal- even just for something like a broken limb.
Now, obviously, healing will be different with the new version with scars and whatnot, but it still bears thinking about that what might otherwise be a fairly minor injury might cause a permanent disability. I mean, there's some truth in that, but infection (or whatever justification you want to use) probably doesn't want to be inevitable for a... uh... non-recuperation endowed (I think resilience is probably a better word for that stat- it actually has an adjective form) dwarf who breaks his arm. Or stubs his toe, I guess, dwarves being the whiners they are.

a particular solution isn't important, but good catch bringing the use case to the dev's attention

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:49:53 pm »

I am just hoping that there would be an option to turn off 'rust' in the ini file.  More often then not, I don't enjoy having my characters weaken like that.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:23:16 pm »

I am just hoping that there would be an option to turn off 'rust' in the ini file.  More often then not, I don't enjoy having my characters weaken like that.

I wouldn't worry. Toady is dedicating a lot of his time to bring more and more elements out into the raws. So there's a good chance this will be toggleable.

Also, I doubt rust will be a major issue. It's only a temporary decline that can be worked off fairly quickly of with some practice in the area. It also only happens if the dwarf is really neglecting their work. Toady said we'd almost have to try not to work them for rust to actually occur.

It's a really minor gameplay addition added for a bit of realism, and I don't think it will be very crippling if at all.

As for the original post, your ability to heal should only decrease in the late stages of life. It's a natural body function, not really something you'd have to practice. I doubt rust will apply to healing.