Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For the pit god - Your best suicide/cult or suicide cult  (Read 1247 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
For the pit god - Your best suicide/cult or suicide cult
« on: October 21, 2008, 04:19:48 pm »

So, my pit god worshiping cult FINALLY pierces their six level aquifier. (cannot use the pit to get down, it might anger the pit god!)

Then I get 7 goblin ambushes in 3 seasons and my fort is decimated (the pit god doesn't condone use of moats, or drawbridges, and someone left a rock in the door)

My survivors, 3 of the original seven and 4 Urist McSlaves (this is the name ever immigrant was immediately changed to, and then they were put on aquifier piercing duty. Drowning deaths were, unfortunately, minimal. They would also be regularly offered to the pit god every time something went wrong, on the order of four or five a season though once I did thirty because my main miner died in an accident).

Well, in light of the recent catastrophe the pit god was obviously angry over something, big time. So the elves arrive, head into the trade depot that I conveniently built above the pit, and of course go careening to their doom. But this is just standard fare, no, the pit god demands MORE blood!

So a support beam is built, a platform constructed, and on that platform is the switch that destroys the support...

The original three fall solemnly to their fate, sure of the greater afterlife that awaits them in the pit. The Urist McSlaves go screaming. And thus ends the Cult of the Pit God.

Which brings me to the topic... how often do other people suicide their dwarves and/or start of kooky religious cults with weird rules and driving motivations for their actions?

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For the pit god - Your best suicide/cult or suicide cult
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 04:48:10 pm »

You have inspired me. Now, to find a sufficiently horrible god for my dwarves to sacrifice to.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:26:58 pm »

Once squad control is improved, I might try the tournament thing I'm experimenting with now on a grander scale; perhaps on the order of a 32-contestant tournament.

Also, monotheism purging; pick one god, kill all dwarves who do not worship that god. Job assignation on the basis of religious fervor.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:01:32 pm »

Is their a god of charcoal.....i hope so.... i would offer him elves as well :D:D:D:D

I think im going to have my tower worship the tried and true blood god....

Dropping off prisoners from the walls, only for their bodies to splatter on impact giving the blood god his seasonal payment, Goblins, Elves and Humans will be mostly used.... but dwarves will be substituted as seen fit :P
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:36:01 pm »

Dwarves in water-encased tomb.  It was like the Heavenly Gate, except much, much slower.

My current fortress is still young (no sieges or ambushes yet), but the rule is going to be that all intruders are caught in cage traps and transported to the arena.  Immigrants will face them in situations of my choosing; immigrants who live become citizens.

I do have a pit, though.  Maybe some sacrifices should be in order...
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For the pit god - Cults and Suicide Cults
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 11:15:34 pm »

The "earning entrance through the arena" is something I do on maps where I don't make all immigrants expendable slaves.

What I really need to do is set up a system so the slaves can't interact with and mingle with the real dwarves.

Anyways, back to the cult, I'm trying to think up new ideas for a good one... something crazy, with lots of additional things I would have to do, lots of rules and stuff, that end up fun. Any suggestions?

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:18:23 pm »

You could always try to worship a magma man.  It's one of my favorites.

So, obviously the magma man commands the terrifying fire imps, and harming them would only provoke his wrath, so that's out.  and one cannot use the magma man's magma, not unless it is for his own honor, so no magma forges.  Then you toss everything into the magma you can get your hands on.

You can of course, change the way you do things.  For instance, those imps?  Oh how I hate them.  worshiping the magma man would be ever so much easier were they out of the way.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 11:27:36 pm »

Material-building dieties are also acceptable. SOAP FOR THE SOAP GOD! COAL FOR THE COAL THRONE!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 11:51:07 pm »

Lord MagmaSoap deminds an alter of soap built over his Magma pit, and then all the soapers involved dumped into the pit!

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 03:57:56 am »

Heh... I've got such a themed fortress on a terrifying map : Sethalrath, temple of the spiders

Basically, the leader is a manipulative giant cave spider lover, and the other dwarves are divided into four categories...
- The acolytes are those who also like any kind of spiders. They do not work and spend their time praying to the Spidery godess
- The servants is the basic working class supplying the temple with food, clothes and all other comodities. They share the temple with the acolytes.
- The cattle are basically the one hating spiders or loving cats. They are kept out of the inner sanctum and denied any good, even prepared food (they just eat the berries they can harvest on various bushes). Those are the one assigned to the most dangerous tasks, like harvesting the phantom spider silk close to a group of foul blendecs.
- Due to the very high death rate of the cattle, the most useless migrants are assigned to the same duties, with the difference that they may get into the upper class if they manage to gain valuable skills. Those are the outcasts.

The military structure is a reflection of the civilian structure. The zealots are from the acolyte class and always get the best gear, the guardians are from the servant class, the protectors from the outcasts and the meatshields from the cattle (no gear given to them, of course... They may have a weapon or some armor if they manage to get them by chance)

Basically, the cattle and outcasts harvest the silk, wood and plants. They bring the raw material to an airlock (most like a "dwarflock") where they are transfered into the temple. The raw materials are then processed by the servants and then either consumed by acolytes & servants or traded away.

This fortress is probably the funniest I ever had, with some nice situation. Perhaps I should try to write a report on it :)

Edit : As cats kills spiders, they are obviously despised in this setup.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:01:26 am by Yag Alone »

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 07:50:06 am »

Where did you find 6 levels of aquifer  :o  How would you even go about piercing that?!

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 01:48:43 pm »

Where did you find 6 levels of aquifer  :o  How would you even go about piercing that?!

Lots and lots of screw pumps, windmills, waterwheels, mechanisms, and axels.

You should try it some time, it's a ton of (dwarven) fun. >:D
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.