Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controling Tamed Animals?  (Read 899 times)

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
Controling Tamed Animals?
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:38:03 am »

Hello!

I'm quite new to this great game but seems that I mastered most of the game beginning aspects. I have the following question:

I embarked with some cows and horses and would like them to stay within an enclosed area (wall). I built the wall but the animals walked away in the mean time. Is there a way to somehow call or move them behind the wall (I have doors) so they don't run around freely?

Thank you in advance!
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Controling Tamed Animals?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:34:19 pm »

They tend to aggregate in a meeting hall, so you could designate it as one. Problem is that it will attract dwarves too.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:29:38 pm »

You can also build/buy a cage, and stuff all your animals inside. If you want to breed them for food, leave a pair or two outside, as they don't mate in cages. Shove whatever is born into the cage when you get an announcement.

Rope/chain is another option. Build one, then you can assign as many animals to it as you want. The animals will be confined to a 2-tile range.

You can also use a pit. Dig a hole, and designate it as a pit. Then you can assign animals to it.

The tricky part about pit is to get the animals back out - your dwarfs need a way to get down there, they cannot "fish" the animals out from the top of the pit. But when you have an exit to the pit, animals will just walk back out. If you put a door/hatch which is closed tightly, the animals will cling close to it, and when a dwarf opens the door/hatch, they will try to sneak outside. You will need multiple tightly-closed door/hatch and micromanaging to avoid that problem.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:46:34 pm »

or make your 'pit' on a retracting bridge over another pit... add spikes to save time with butchering ;)

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 07:12:31 am »

I have found out that if I build a restraint (rope), create a rope, and assign ONE (that's a limit!) animal to it, the other animals will stick around and won't leave the area..

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 07:53:33 am »

I have found out that if I build a restraint (rope), create a rope, and assign ONE (that's a limit!) animal to it, the other animals will stick around and won't leave the area..
Are those the chained animal's offspring?

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 09:29:49 am »

Are those the chained animal's offspring?

No. It's the animals I start with. Also the cats and dogs (maybe some other animal) will rarely go away but will come back in a short time and hang around this..