Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A world without arbitrary mandates  (Read 1162 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A world without arbitrary mandates
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:25:57 pm »

Exactly what it says on the tin - or, if not a world, a civ anyway. Have it so that some civs at worldgen are more democratic so that there _aren't_ "nobles" who leech off of society, make arbitrary mandates, and imprison people for not following their whims.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A world without arbitrary mandates
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:38:32 pm »

Actually even in a Democracy there are "Nobles" who leech off of society.

Just look at the American system... Ignoring current or past candidates... They have such a monopoly on American votes that the Democratic and whatever the other one is could have two of the worst candidates ever and STILL no one would think of voting for anything but the two major parties (as American History has proven before... in possibly one of the most freekish elections EVER!!!)

Just because there is Democracy it doesn't mean someone a society is free from leeches.

Note: The only other one I could comment on is Canada (I realise it is a Constitutional Monarchy but goodness it is in reality a Democracy). Though it is a bit more complex.

Athens also presents a reverse to this where the people demand unreasonable things and leech off their own society. In fact I believe if enough people disliked you in Athens they could just up and kick you out. So there you go, Society Mandates that result in people punishing innocent people because they can.

PLEASE do not turn this into a political debate... I was not refering to the current American Election... in fact the one I am refering to didn't even happen while any of you were alive... (Except Tormy... but that is because he is secretly a highlander)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:11:54 pm »

Alternatively, the mandates could...make sense.

E.g. "The Winterfeast of Urist McClaus is upon us. The Lords and Ladies have demanded a scrumptious feast of Lamprey Pie and Sunberry Wine as an appetizer, with Fresh Beef served with Plump Helmet Gravy as the main course, and Dwarven Syrup Cake for Dessert"

Or "the Fashion Ball is upon us and the Queen is quite vain. The peasants are starving but there's leftover Dwarven Syrup Cake so let them eat cake. In the meantime, she mandates a Green-dyed Giant Cave Spider Silk dress embroidered with an image of the peace made with the Elf Kingdom to the disagreement of most the good honest Dwarves, and a gold tiara studded with sapphires...and Crystal Glass Slippers...wait, what are you doing with that guillotine? AAAAHHH!"

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:37:18 pm »

It's simple to not allow them to bitch about their leechery, make an executionary lever, you decide how they die, a fall, or a drownery, or an ejection system filled with massive pressure towers ( from the lowest z, to the highest z ) , maybe a sacrificial arena duel.

Society will be happy if you kill any nobles, excluding the positions that don't invest in economic leechery.

I support the Nobles for Exuction prop ( N4E_Prop)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 04:48:37 pm »

Just provide Template Mandates.

1. A priest of [GOD] has told me if I do not get [ITEM], society will fall apart. Get [ITEM].

2. [ITEM] is very valuable indeed. Why is it valuable? It can cure cancer. Want to know what else? I got cancer. Without [ITEM], I may die of cancer. I don't want to die, you know. Dying's bad. Don't look at me like that. Get [ITEM]!

3. Our [ITEM] industry is suffering! We need to increase the [ITEM] industry. The [ITEM] industry is the backbown of the Drawven economy! We must prohibit the exports of [ITEM]!

4. Don't you know the plebians need [ITEM]? It's true! [ITEM] has many beniefical health effects. If [ITEM] is not given, the plebs will go into a tantrum spiral, and none of us want that! Get [ITEM] now, so as to please the masses.

5. You know what? I'm tired of asking you to make stuff, and then waiting to see those stuff not be made. Can't you just give me [ITEM] (currently worth a fortune on the Drawven market), so I'll buy what I want from those elven Traders?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:50:40 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 05:01:35 pm »

I agree completly..not to mention, that it's impossible to fulfill some mandates. Also the punishments should be balanced. [It's just annoying that a dwarf is getting jailed for a very long time/killed by the hammerer because of a failed mandate..]
Note: It would be good to have an init option to turn on/off the mandate "system". [Sometimes I wish I could turn it off.. ;D]

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 05:34:34 pm »

You know, the only thing I want more than this is a copy of Halo with all the enemies guns taken away.  Srsly, who would give them guns?

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 07:17:51 pm »

You know, the only thing I want more than this is a copy of Halo with all the enemies guns taken away.  Srsly, who would give them guns?

This is a false analogy; comparing guns in halo to mandates in DF is fallacious. Additionally, we're suggesting ways to improve the current mandate system as an alternate to outright removal, as the mandates tend to be outright arbitrary; if they can be tied into events/overarcing lists of demands (e.g. a military Noble going "I shall require a fine purebred warhorse, a steel-tipped lance, and a fine suit of platemail!") then it would be less arbitrary then asking for a glass barrel on a sandless map.

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 07:24:57 pm »

Given a sufficient dining room, you can ignore their mandates. Just remember not to appoint a sheriff.

I don't even have any rooms assigned to my Tax Collector or Hammerer. Actually, even if a mandating noble did tantrum, I wouldn't care.  Fortunately my King/Queen don't have mandates.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 07:30:17 pm »

I make it a point to capture nobles and throw food to them through a pit.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 09:46:52 pm »

It would be nice if Nobles can ask you to trade for goods they are interested in, so that you could be better prepared to meet their demands in advance.  Of course, their list is probably filled with a lot of stuff that would go unused for years or be forgotten, since nobles are like that.  Maybe they could affect trade agreements too, by 'negotiating' on your broker's behalf on the side.

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 03:58:01 am »

If I may make an interjection here, I would suggest that until adamantine is discovered within a fort, no noble should request adamantine.  The end to glass requests on sandless maps would also be nice.  For that matter, biasing mandates towards materials that are actually present would be very nice.  It doesn't need to be absolute, for it isn't unreasonable that a mature fort would have a wide and varied stockpile.  A bit of bias still makes sense though.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 08:45:09 am »

If I may make an interjection here, I would suggest that until adamantine is discovered within a fort, no noble should request adamantine.  The end to glass requests on sandless maps would also be nice.  For that matter, biasing mandates towards materials that are actually present would be very nice.  It doesn't need to be absolute, for it isn't unreasonable that a mature fort would have a wide and varied stockpile.  A bit of bias still makes sense though.

I don't disagree with you at all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 09:21:13 am »

I guess depending on how good natured (as well as other personalities) the noble is should determine if he wants you to cook an extra 100 meals out of Dwarven Bread for the homeless, or if he wants that new Adamantium Dresser

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 09:28:05 am »

This is a false analogy; comparing guns in halo to mandates in DF is fallacious. Additionally, we're suggesting ways to improve the current mandate system as an alternate to outright removal, as the mandates tend to be outright arbitrary; if they can be tied into events/overarcing lists of demands (e.g. a military Noble going "I shall require a fine purebred warhorse, a steel-tipped lance, and a fine suit of platemail!") then it would be less arbitrary then asking for a glass barrel on a sandless map.

Yep, exactly...as for the option to turn on/off mandates: Once the Army Arc will be implemented, I surely don't want to spend my time on fulfilling mandates, I've seen enough mandates already, and I was annoyed by them many times to be honest  :)....so instead I would like to spend my time on creating/managing armies, attacking enemy sites etc.