Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Illarion  (Read 45227 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Illarion
« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

It says the treasure is located northeast of my present location.  But I've gone pretty far northeast and it keeps saying that.  I think I'd need to go into some dangerous territory to find the treasure.  Anyone up for a hunt?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »

Anyone know how to scroll through your depot?  I can't figure it out. I tried clicking on the buttons but it doesn't move.  I can't see half my stuff!

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »

i'm away for the weekend, but keep going north until it says that it's in the east.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

No more plates, ever.

Edit: But if you can make grey bottles I'm in constant need for booze making. They're practically like barrels, except smaller and made of glass instead of metal or wood. Currently the only way I know how to get em is buy a water bottle off Borgate and empty it.

[ April 04, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 04, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>Anyone know how to scroll through your depot?  I can't figure it out. I tried clicking on the buttons but it doesn't move.  I can't see half my stuff!</STRONG>

i think if you have a mouse wheel you can use that.

also, when you're doing that treasure map, Take someone along that can fight, i done some reading up, they spawn monsters when you dig on the spot.

EDIT: this may seem a bit "geeky" or "nerdish", but it's a good starter for good Rp, and has given me a good few ways to develop character etc.

[ April 04, 2008: Message edited by: Bullion ]

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 04, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

Alright, I'm hoping on.   Most likely my dwarf.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 04, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

After reading all that I cant help but wonder if I'm a bad roleplayer because I created my character on a template of myself. In other words, Hurgan is not evil because I am not evil, Hurgan is not stupid (even though I gave him below average int) because I am not stupid. But on top of that I created Hurgan with a goal in mind, normally I feel more comfortable playing an intellectual/mage, but what better character to build a fortress than a hard working dwarf?

Of course creating a character seperate from myself would be impossible, the complexity of the human mind is too complex for me to actually create a virtual one within my current physical one.

Edit: I'm getting confused now. The only way to solve this is for me to ask others opinions on my roleplay, so what is everyones opinion on my roleplay?

I also just noticed that I said that I normally feel more comfortable playing an intellectual/mage, which is true because I do infact feel comfortable playing a hard working dwarf.

Edit: Ok so now I can only conclude that it is completely impossible for me to actually consciously review the finer points of roleplay, I dont know if I do them automatically without realising or if nobody actually notices.

This is what I get for staying up till 2:00am.

Edit: Hm, I actually wonder if I would feel more comfortable playing an intellectual/mage. I get the feeling I wouldnt. Perhaps Hurgan is actually a gateway into my own soul, spooky!

Edit: I actually cant recall my motives in the creation of Hurgan except that we were all going to get together and have fun building a fortress while roleplaying. I'm going to have to come back tomorrow and completely sort this post out, for now I'm just putting down anything that comes into my head.

Edit: I think I've got it, I am not a serious roleplayer. I didnt put much thought into Hurgan when making him and I dont roleplay him in great depth. He doesnt have a history or motives, my goal is to make a fortress, he's just the pawn that aspires to complete this goal, building up his own personality as he goes. I'm the player behind him, but when he's walking around interacting with people, where do I go? Am I actually still here?

I dont actually know who Hurgan is even though I roleplay him, it seems that he is his own character. I guess thats the power of the situation for you.

In that sense, theres a part of me you can never remove from any character I make, that I'm kind hearted and fair (excuse my immodesty). I simply cannot play any character that is truely evil, when I do I mess up by being unable to slit the good guy's throat and letting him go free in return for his belongings. However when I play a character, I put myself in a situation in which that character, not myself, is dominant. That would explain why I'm an automatic roleplayer, when someone speaks to Hurgan in game, they are speaking to Hurgan, not me. So in return, Hurgan will interact with them depending on how I would expect Hurgan to behave if I was watching him from an outside position. So in other words, Hurgan acts like other people would think he should act, except the other people are mostly replaced with me.

So I play him as a dwarf unaware of all this stuff thats going on, but its good to finally get an out of the box view of it!

Edit: Thats the end of it, I've figured it out and now I'm going to sleep.

[ April 04, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #247 on: April 04, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

Does anyone know how to fight?  Maybe we can all go hunting for this treasure sometime soon.  I have zero fighting skill.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 04, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

I know how to fight. Wrestling is my highest combat skill, but I'm using a Magical Longaxe now which uses slashing skill, so I'm slightly ineffective. On the other hand, this switch in weapons is making my dodge, parry and tactics skills all go up more in line with my actual weapon proficiency.

Sorry about the previous post by the way, it's just sort of a revelation for me. I find when you manage to grab onto something like this, it's good to haul it in and see what you get.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 05, 2008, 02:40:00 am »

That thing you showed me wasn't a magical longaxe, it was a magical luberjack axe (don't ask me why they call that cleaver a 'lumberjack' axe.  The names are all wacky here...).  I'm in the process of making a longaxe, and it looks nothing like that.

I might also be able to make a poisoned version, but I don't know what all I need for that.  Also, I still need a large handle to make it.

EDIT: By the way, hell of a bad deal you set up with that orc.  Half of all the coal and gems we mine?  I'll hold the damned cow next time.

[ April 05, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 05, 2008, 06:20:00 am »

Well dark, that's extremely deep, and i don't know how to respond to it, i think the only way for you to get a grip on who hurgan's character is to write some backstory for him, it'll help you get some ideas on who he is.

EDIT: I'm a part lumberjack, can i have the axe? i'll trade you some cups for it.

[ April 05, 2008: Message edited by: Bullion ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 05, 2008, 07:18:00 am »

I use my character as a mask, essentially.  He was made to serve a purpose, and nothing else.  I didn't put a lot of thought into making him, and I'm not putting a lot of thought into playing him.  Illarion is a game to me, not a stage.  

Oh, by the way, the gateway to sausageland didn't work out.   I might be able to find some way of getting goodies, since there is indeed a rather big bug associated with it, but I'd rather boost my skills than spend my time bughunting.  And these things are never assured anyways, due to their nature.

Also, I don't think you can cut down trees with anything other than a hatchet.  I don't know that for sure, but it seems in line with the rest of the half-baked integration that Illarion boasts.  Besides, that axe is in no way suited for woodcutting.  Unless, of course, you're trying to level a forest of saplings.

Speaking of saplings, did anyone notice the aple and cherry trees outside the South gate?  Yep, that's me.

And would somebody ask about herbalism?  What are those wild plants good for, aside from eating and getting poisoned from? (Damn halfling charged me an arm and a leg for an antidote...)

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 05, 2008, 07:23:00 am »

bah, actually, i'm going to test the theory that i can use a saw on tree just to get boughs and branches for *drumroll*  HANDLE MAKING! if not, i'll plant myself a small apple tree forest.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 05, 2008, 07:27:00 am »

Sounds too easy and realistic.  Probably won't work.

Also, orchard-planting can be a serious pain, especially if you don't have farming skill.  I'm popping on for a little bit now so I can melt the rest of this ore and maybe make a couple things.  If you're there, I'll see what I can do for you in terms of forestry.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 05, 2008, 07:29:00 am »

nah i'm not there, but i'll be back tomorrow, i'm currently away form a PC that has illarion installed, and due "remember my password" functions have led me to forget the spelling of my username.

Oh well. but if you can get hold of a saw or lumberjack, ask for me.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21