Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting wars  (Read 924 times)

neue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting wars
« on: October 20, 2008, 03:50:50 pm »

Goblins are not proving much of a challenge anymore.
I've been trying to piss off the elves by cutting down all of the trees as soon as they grow (very few… like 10) killing their traders every so often, offering their traders wooden flutes which upset them.
also humans have recently found my fortress and started trading.

whats the fastest way to get these two to attack me?

neue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting wars
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 04:02:27 pm »

WHAT THE HELL?
this just got interesting… we only have 1 depot

neither had anything of interest, locked them in and flooded it a bit then the elves went berserk, maybe because of the massive pile of wood.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:40:08 pm by neue »

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 05:02:21 pm »

Pump Operator cancels Opera: dangerous terrain.

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:22:19 pm »

What font are you using ?
[img]neither had anything of interest, locked them in and flooded it a bit then the elves went berserk, maybe because of the massive pile of wood.
Or maybe it's because them beeing locked in a room with a bunch of stinking Gobbos and flooded to death  ;)

In my experience elves are quite tolerant - they might forget about the accident and send a new caravan next year...
Try do it with humans. Bonus  >:(-Points if you get the Guild Representative.

You get Gobln Caravans ? What goods they got ?
And what font are you using ?

-----
@yougiedeggs

I wonder how a Pump-Opera does sound like.
Interesting insight in Dwarven Cultue and music btw.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:23:56 pm by Refar »
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 05:24:07 pm »

Singing dwarves ftw!

neue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

What font are you using ?
Or maybe it's because them beeing locked in a room with a bunch of stinking Gobbos and flooded to death  ;)

In my experience elves are quite tolerant - they might forget about the accident and send a new caravan next year...
Try do it with humans. Bonus  >:(-Points if you get the Guild Representative.

You get Gobln Caravans ? What goods they got ?
And what font are you using ?

I just did it to humans (huge caravan too, about 8 of them) :) and goblins came with them at the same time (so thats 2 in a year). Accidently killed the lot instead of drowning them a little then leaving them.

Goblins were pretty rubbish, 80% was just exotic meats which would be good if I didn't just build an extra floor on my tower for my overflowing food.

Not sure what font I'm using sorry.

I've locked the human representative in a room, would it be better to let him go home and tell them the humans died or shall I construct a ballista at the end of the corridor and open his door?

I decided to go with option B

3rd goblin caravan in a year now :/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:29:27 pm by neue »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 09:43:59 pm »

killing the elf/human diplomat (NOT the trade rep, the diplomat they start sending once you get the baron) is, as far as I can tell, a 100% chance to start a war. so, if you have a baron, just lock the diplomat in a room to death or something and they should start attacking. Killing the trade rep and the caravan might do it for the humans, but I'm not sure. I've heard agreeing to the tree limit and then violating it will cause the elves to siege you, but I've never tried it myself (I have tested just refusing to sign it over and over, which does NOT cause them to attack).

FWIW elf sieges are more pathetic then goblin sieges, because elves have weak armor and negative damage block. Human sieges are slightly tougher because the humans start riding horses after a while, which makes them faster and also most (all?) attacks hit the horse till it dies which means it's much, much easier for them to clog up your traps and/or zerg past your archers. legendary champs still tear them apart easy though, so they are not really that much worse then goblins.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 05:44:24 am »

The trade representative worked out nicely for me - he was the only one killed in a ambush, next summer the humans went berserk...
Did it only once however, so might just have been "lucky"
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.