Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dominions: Priests, Prophets & Pretenders  (Read 26415 times)

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions: Priests, Prophets & Pretenders
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 03:24:00 am »

I liked Shaman... it's the only one I could every win with o_o

Just get a ton of forests and your golden... summon tons of spirits... and, incidentally, how -do- you get sacrifices? Most locations don't give any, and the ones that do end up rebelling... and your taxes are crap due to unhappy population, so you can't buy units, either. I want to enjoy this game, since it seems I'm missing out, but I think I'm doing something horribly wrong.

Also, hi. I think I've only posted in the DF bug forum before this >.>;

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2008, 03:31:00 am »

Go with small tax and normal sacrifice collection.  For winter, switch to small tax, tiny collection.  People will be perfectly happy with this setup.

And you obviously haven't seen a swamp horde.  Sure, the shaman gets some goodies if he's got a lot of trees, but you should seriously check out an army packed with swamp gods, root monsters, will o' the wisps, creeping doom swarms, giant toads, crocodiles, bullywugs, swamp ghosts Etc., that is so huge it pushes the actual witches off the screen during combat.  

The druid's pretty good too, but he needs special places to summon his heavy hitters, and there's only one druid.  You can hire new witch apprentices from time to time.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2008, 09:08:00 am »

Actually, I think you can reassign items. It's just only mentioned in the manual. (This is the only game I can think of where the interface is WORSE than DF).

My favorite character is the Warlock. Daos have 288 hitpoints and use Earthquake, which hits everything on the screen for about 1-3. After a few turns, just about every normal unit is dead. Unless you can kill it within a short period, it will kill you. All it needs just is a commander with a large amount of hits, and it can even take out guarded buildings.

Check out my books at O and H Books

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2008, 10:00:00 am »

Items can be transferred from one commander to another by selecting the item and pressing 'g' for give. Some of the huge humanoids can't use items, unfortunately, even though the smaller ones can. Pale One king you start with, and Troll King IIRC, and few others like that.

I'm not sure if there are any other important commands.

Janne )`*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 10:05:00 am »

Ah, found it.  That still doesn't change the problem of losing items in a fight, but it's a start...  Now I don't have to have wizards running around with massive troll-smashing hammers and flaming swords.  I can give them to the heroes who turn up with summoning scrolls and spell wands.

Weirdos...

Anyways, I've recently been playing as a King of the Deep, and I find the experience rather enjoyable.  Sure, the oracle happens to be missing a spell image, but his gem-using spells look interesting.  That, and the pale ones are pretty damn good fighters, particularly ancient ones backed up by rock hurlers.  Around 20-26 ranged damage per turn?  Yes please.

I remember playing as a Cardinal of El in the demo, and finding out that they're actually pretty damn powerful.  If you get lucky and end up with a big congregation, you've got yourself a rather fine setup.  Bless soldiers, build temples to raise cash, bless ther area to raise more cash, heal soldiers, have angels and saints pop out of the air at random sites, have a crusade launch itself at your enemies, and once they're finished softening up the blighters, give 'em the four horsemen of the apocalypse!

I actually summoned The Four in the demo.  They are seriously nasty.

EDIT:  It would appear that if you end up cancelling the "give item" task, the item is trashed.  Jeez.  This game has a higher item mortality rate than dwarven smelters..

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »

While we're on the topic of the Four, check out the Sundering scenario. It starts with them being summoned, and the first hits the capital at about turn 10 or so.

Actually, all the scenarios are awesome. The War Against Death has one player be a Warlock with a Enchanter apprentice. I'm still trying to decide whether it is an amazing bug or a weird feature.

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>Note: Dont play Necromancers. They're pretty much useless is you actually try to summon undead, thanks to insanity.</STRONG>

Ah, but the grand goal of every necromancer is to turn into a lich, isn't it? A lich doesn't get insane from rasing dead, plus he's immortal (he'll be reborn at your capital).
You should raise dead one or twice only with your necromancer, then use the apprenctice extensively in his lucid moments. Also keep a small cash reserve to buy new apprentices should they become available.
All that while hoarding hands of glory for lich transformation (the cost is lower is some evil places, search for them). A vampire is less cool since he gets insane.

That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »

Is this (current) discussion for Dominions or CoE II? They seem rather similar.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

Currently, it's CoEII, since nobody had much of anything to say about Dominions.  That, and CoEII is free.  That always leads to a peak in interest.

And I thought that the lich got crazy from raising the dead.  Maybe I just never actually got to the lich...  I remember transforming into something, and then thinking "Hey, cool!  Massive armies o' death for all!", and then realizing that he still went a bit batty when calling forth the dead.  

Demonologists, on the other hand...  They're fun.  Enemy armies got you down?  Would the game keep going even if you died?  Are you one of those sour sorts who wants to take a few with him when he goes?

Summon Demon Lord (0)

No Sacrifice

Still though, I'll have to try out the necromancer again sometime soon.  Maybe this time I'll grab enough hanged criminal's left hands (medieval folklore is pretty damn specific...) to attain lichedom.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2008, 11:54:00 pm »

I just learned through a very epic error that playing a Shaman and possessing an enemy Captain does not, infact, cause him to bring all of his friends along for the ride.

Which, y'know, was why I did it in the first place. He had about twelve spearmen with him. Damn.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2008, 12:39:00 am »

Heh heh, yeah.   I recently possessed a great ape in some cannibal village, and he proceeded to smash the heads of all the other guys in that village, thus claiming the extra herbal grounds for me.  

I don't think he would've done quite so well if possession didn't yield the first turn.  Heh, you have to wonder what was going through the heads of those tribals when they saw their big guy go ape on them.

EDIT:  Dwarven earth priest.  I just summoned a dodo.  Last I checked, a dodo is not an earth elemental!

[ March 29, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

EDIT2:  Had a necromancer that was going swimmingly, fighting off barbarian hordes, when some wandering deer took over my citadel.  I am going to slaughter every deer in the world and burn every forest with the demonologist, to get back at them.

Goddamn wandering creatures...  I can't tell you how many high-powered leaders I've lost when some imbecile brigand happens to walk past the front gate of my fortress.

[ March 29, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2008, 07:32:00 am »

That's why it's a good idea to keep a few spearmen in your capital. Also, conquer new citadels (stone towers, old castles etc.) ASAP.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2008, 07:56:00 am »

I conquered the same wooden tower three times...  I guess one of the barbarian tribes capped it again.

And I had just hired five swordsmen to deter random critters, but I had to pull them aong to deal with the barbarian chieftan who happened to be running circles around my citadel.  I think that's what gets me the most, that the very turn that I take my defenses out of place some dimwit wanders in.

Still though, I've been wreaking righteous havoc with the demonologist.  Nothing says vengeance quite like ten hellhounds in your face.  I'll just have to start a new map with a necromancer...  

Necros, by the way, love the fallen empire era.  Battlefields and graveyards everywhere, and at least this map has ancient temples (hands of glory discount) scattered all over the place.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

Tip of the time period: Stick a single draft of cauldrons in walled squares to protect them. In any square with walls, they get like five attacks each.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2008, 01:49:00 am »

Huh, nifty.  I didn't know that.

I assumed there must be some special thing for each of those oddball units, but I had no idea what they were.  Cauldrons, rams, and some other doohickeys that escape my mind for the moment...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6