Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why I Reclaim Forts: A short picture book.  (Read 1344 times)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Why I Reclaim Forts: A short picture book.
« on: October 20, 2008, 06:34:50 am »

Heh.  Ok, short history on this fort.  I posted a topic a while ago regarding my civ and it's elf-king.  This fort was made mountainhome and got the king, yadda yadda.  Of course I immediately became bored with it and abandoned.

Fine.

About five years have passed in the game world, as I screwed around with other forts and occasionally entered abandoned forts with adventurers.

Then, I reclaimed "ConjuredGates", my old mountainhome.

At this point, I'll just show a couple of pictures, with brief comments:

Troglodytes are everywhere!

Note that ten minutes after entering the fort, everyone is just about ready to kill everyone else.

The elven king's old chambers!  Now not fit for anyone.  Also: Down to something like 40 dwarves, from a starting 70, mostly from killing each other.

The bowels of the fort also contain dozens of dead.  Also down to something like 30 now.

Also, a full view of the fort's main level.  I figure it's worth looking at.  This is after (most) of the fighting was done.

And finally, a few days after the carnage, my stock screen (most corpses have rotted to bones):

This sort of place is why I play DF!  Haha, it's awesome.

As a final note, I don't expect my remaining nine (a few of which I believe are insane) to actually survive.  But still, hey, fun times.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Why I Reclaim Forts: A short picture book.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:38:19 pm »

Wow, you built a fort around a chasm?
Thats why the troglodytes invaded so much.

Also, thats going to be alot of bone bolts.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:48:01 pm »

So what the heck happened to the reclaimers anyway?  Miasma and a couple deaths send the rest into "lost a friend" tantrum spirals?  I swear, you'd think a small army of freaking dwarves gearing up to invade a lost fortress would be emotionally prepared for a few casualties.

I love that picture where every dwarf is a red arrow.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 03:52:38 pm »

looks like miasma, lost freinds, and witnessed death, plus lack of mood boosters and reciveing wounds did it for the first. then they began attacking everyone nearby.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 03:53:30 pm »

How many troglodytes were there anyways?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 04:17:49 pm »

millions
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 04:47:52 pm »

How many troglodytes were there anyways?

Of wild animals and troglodytes:

Alive, there are 9 full pages (minus two) of troglodytes, cave swallowmen, and naked mole dogs.

Deceased count on the same creatures (plus a few large rats and a jaguar) is something like 20 full pages and a half of another.

My screen shows nineteen creatures per page, so thats
169 Alive, 390 (or so) dead.

It was quite a battle.  I've got two berserk dwarves (Hammer or Axe), Three melancholic folks from military service, some guy as an "Elf Advisor", I presume somehow still alive from the previous fort and listed as "friendly",  One guy with incurable head injuries among a dozen other body parts, and it looks like five guys fit for service, one of which has a bruised kidney.

All of them have "Miserable" on their wounds page.  There is something on the order of fifteen thousand (at least, rough estimate) items to pick up and arrange.  I'm going to see if I can make it work.

The misery, so far as I can tell, comes from "Lost a friend to tragedy lately", "Has seen death", "Major injuries", "Been attacked lately", "had to endure the decay of a friend", and "has been disgusted by a miasma".  Also since they've been eating/drinking out of the wagon, they don't have a legendary dining room to make it better.

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 05:16:32 pm »

Holy Christ on a pogo stick, you murdered a whole civilization... ;D
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 05:21:38 pm »

Holy Christ on a pogo stick, you murdered a whole civilization... ;D

Hmm...

Reclaim again. How many times will it take to kill the whole world from misery.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 06:03:33 pm »

All of them have "Miserable" on their wounds page. 

I'd be miserable too if i had to clean up that mess
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 06:30:09 pm »

gotta love the pic with all the red arrows....

i have done about the same thing before, reclaiming is interesting sometimes..

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 08:01:49 pm »

Your corpse-choked death-fort fills me with joy.  Hats off to you.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.