Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the big deal with aquifiers?  (Read 1596 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the big deal with aquifiers?
« on: October 20, 2008, 03:31:06 am »

So I'm almost done piercing my sixth and final level of aquifier on this map, and I'm not sure why everyone sees them as difficult to deal with.

I mean, the process seems pretty straightfoward, dig a channel to power your water wheel, then build a pump on each level to drain the one below it into said waterwheel. Smooth walls on newly pierced layer, then repeat.

Sure, my project has taken a couple years at this point, but thats only because I've got one dwarf doing the whole thing. With a half dozen or so dwarves working on it, I could see a six level aquifier pierced in a season or two.

I suppose the hardest part was getting rock... I got lucky there, and struck a vein, but I could have traded for it too.

I've actually been considering just building my base IN the aquifier levels. As long as you smooth as you dig, the aquifier fills new sections slow enough my single pump should handle it no matter how big it gets. It WOULD give me the ability to put floodgates everywhere and then instantly flood sections of my fort... hmmm...

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the big deal with aquifiers?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 03:39:27 am »

Because most aquifers aren't in stone.
Magma is overrated.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:08:43 am »

what? smoothing is enough to stop aquifers?

too bad i know it only after i built a fountain on that acquifer.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:14:38 pm »

My main concern with aquifers is that water will perpetually sink into it, preventing me from perpetually flooding the island; to fix this, I plan to convert the bottom of the island to an obsidian bed, with the magma pipe being perpetually harnessed in a power-plant.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:36:32 pm »

with the magma pipe being perpetually harnessed in a power-plant.

Say what? Magma power-plant? Hell yes, how do I make one?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:00:48 pm »

:::is hit by realization:::

Oh wow, yeah, I completely forgot that smoothing doesn't work in sand. :::facepalm::: No wonder this is so much easier than I thought. Well, I'll have to try a real aquifier next time then!

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 02:03:26 pm »

Hm. I may have to rethink the difficulty of conglomerate and sandstone aquifers now. I almost never play with an aquifer just because it makes fort layout so difficult, but if I can get away with just smoothing walls...
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:20:18 pm »

with the magma pipe being perpetually harnessed in a power-plant.

Say what? Magma power-plant? Hell yes, how do I make one?

Not an actual plant per se, but more the idea being "Let's build part of our city around the magma, and control its passage with multiple Bauxite floodgates, so we can allocate to variable industries, defense, etc. Let's use a Dwarfputer computer unit so we can have a single Dwarf technician who constantly abandons his job to get doughnuts...err Dwarven Beer Roast.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 04:29:32 pm »

I had a scary warning on embark about aquiferness, but I ended up flooding two bedrooms, I think. I got the job order wrong.

Not a big deal, I think. And it made my waterfall easy.

However, it's odd, because my aquifer is only about 15 tiles square. It's like there's clumps of aquifer scattered across the map.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:34:18 pm »

It might be because there are ores or different stones in that layer?

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 04:38:06 pm »

I find getting through multiple aquifer layers is no harder than just getting through one. You pump out a staircase and then drain the top one into the bottom one and move all your pumps down a layer. I once had an aquifer on a hill, I was able to move back an forth across the boundary so I got through without any pumps at all.
The great game of Warlocks!