Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Obsidian makers!  (Read 2151 times)

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian makers!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 03:58:45 am »

Now I want to play a savage freezing magma-rich map.
As luck would have it that's what I'm playing ... no, wait, it's terrifying, not savage.  Close enough.

It also has a saltwater aquifer.  Talk about a useless blob of worthlessness.  Phooey.

I've flooded two of my underground mining complexes.  Thank goodness they weren't in communication with the fort proper; however, half of my known cassiterite reserves are buried under miles of salt water.  For future reference know that it's very dangerous to dig upward stairways under an aquifer.

I have managed to use magma to extract fresh water (at least I think it's fresh) by melting ice, and obsidian is easy enough to make when there's water and ice everywhere.

On balance it's a decent challenge in the beginning, and if the traders weren't bringing me so much wood things might've been really bad.  So far all of my steelmaking coal has come from imported wood.

Natural resources on the map include an ocean that never runs out of fish, two large areas of dry rock all the way to the bottom level, a magma pipe, and flux.  There are the typical varieties of metal ores and gems but no coal.

If you've never done a glacier you should give it a try.  It's fun.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 04:24:26 am »

Now I want to play a savage freezing magma-rich map.
As luck would have it that's what I'm playing ... no, wait, it's terrifying, not savage.  Close enough.

It also has a saltwater aquifer.  Talk about a useless blob of worthlessness.  Phooey.

I've flooded two of my underground mining complexes.  Thank goodness they weren't in communication with the fort proper; however, half of my known cassiterite reserves are buried under miles of salt water.  For future reference know that it's very dangerous to dig upward stairways under an aquifer.

I have managed to use magma to extract fresh water (at least I think it's fresh) by melting ice, and obsidian is easy enough to make when there's water and ice everywhere.

On balance it's a decent challenge in the beginning, and if the traders weren't bringing me so much wood things might've been really bad.  So far all of my steelmaking coal has come from imported wood.

Natural resources on the map include an ocean that never runs out of fish, two large areas of dry rock all the way to the bottom level, a magma pipe, and flux.  There are the typical varieties of metal ores and gems but no coal.

If you've never done a glacier you should give it a try.  It's fun.

Possible for you to upload the world you're using? That location sounds great.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 12:44:51 am »

I don't have a save of the map from its beginning, but I can give you the seed and region and all that good stuff.

Toady also has a copy of it, as the "immovable items" bug manifested during a game on this map.

So because I'm lazy can anyone tell me the fastest way to look up the seed and region coordinates of a game in progress?
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 12:54:32 pm »

I tried heating the floors, but I made a teeny little mistake,and flooded my central staircase with magma.
Thankfully, only a few dwarves died.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 [2]