Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When Sparring Goes wrong  (Read 1601 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When Sparring Goes wrong
« on: October 19, 2008, 03:10:31 pm »

I was training my dwarves which I was goign to put in the military. I had already had them all working for a year in engraving, and right now I was making them dig out an entire mountain.

Anyway, a swordsdwarf comes with the latest shipment of migrants, and I think "Yeah, let me grab one of those training dwarves (one was legendary) and draft him in the military, so the new kid can have someone to spar with". I arm him with a sword, and leather armor.

I check on them 2 minutes later, and discover they're not sparrring. I check the barracks and find out that the so-called swordsdwarf already has a broken lower arm, and can't even hold his sword up.

-

Any other stories regarding sparring accidents? Do tell.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Nilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Sparring Goes wrong
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 03:12:35 pm »

Once I forgot that I didn't actually have any armor and the recruits went off to train with steel axes.

We're still cleaning up the blood.
That kind of deductive reasoning is undorfy!
You know what you have to do.
RELEASE THE CATS!

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 03:14:36 pm »

I just had a champion stick a sword through a royal guards head (he was only elite after all), both in full plate armor (part copper, mostly iron).
No-one, even his family was upset about his death though. My dining room is too fine for that.

Oh yeah, the barracks is usually entirely covered in blood from sparring. Too many lazy guards I guess :D
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 03:15:42 pm »

In one of my forts I had a well dug inside of the barracks. Of course, that's just asking for trouble. Sure enough 10 minutes after the well was finished a sparring Dwarf dodged right into it and drowned.

Soon after that 2 of my other sparring Dwarves killed each other, and my second-to-last military Dwarf at that point went melancholy and threw himself into a pond.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 03:33:56 pm »

i've had multiple sparring injuries.

practicing virtually unarmed, undertrained, and with +obsidian short swords+ does that...
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 03:46:18 pm »

Even sparring related casualties [IE. dead dwarves] are not so rare to be honest. You can be happy that your dwarf only had a broken arm...sometime the barracks are covered in blood in my games, but again, my dwarves are training @ spartan level.  ;D

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 03:55:55 pm »

I only give weapons to champion wrestlers, and I don't let people wrestle until they've got full plate.

I've only had one death in four years of continuous sparring (except for the 30 seconds when they pop outside to stab something gobliny.)
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 03:58:37 pm »

I only give weapons to champion wrestlers, and I don't let people wrestle until they've got full plate.

I've only had one death in four years of continuous sparring (except for the 30 seconds when they pop outside to stab something gobliny.)

Yeah that is the safe method. The "this is SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAA" method is quite bad for the dwarven health, but it's fun to watch at least.  ;D

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 04:01:22 pm »

My big sparring-related death/injury period came when i was pretty much rushing through an accelerated program to prepare for the anticipated goblin seige, so i skipped the wrestler training component. i transfered them over to wrestling when i reilized they would probably all die before spring. there was no actual fighting in the first seige, thankfully.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 04:13:17 pm »

i have almost all champs... lots of lords and masters.... i feel bad for the new guys that come....hammerlord vs recruit...... Ready......Set..... FATALITY

My Barracks is always red.... i shoulda put in red flooring to cover it up...
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 04:16:20 pm »

I let my first two military dwarves go at it with swords, without armor.

On the first match, One swordsdwarf cuts the other swordsdwarf in half and sends his lower body flying across the room (Onto a bed,ironically). The dwarf that was cloven asunder was buried honorably.

He's my champion swordsdwarf now, with 50 notable kills.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 04:29:25 pm »

Its not the "recruit gets splattered" thing that annoys me, its the "elite swordsdwarfs who are also an accomplished wrestler and have a boatload of stats each, are armed in steel plate and only using silver swords yet still manage to give each other mangled arms." Those annoy me.
Magma is overrated.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 06:31:41 pm »

In one of my forts I had about 15 champion wrestlers and another 15 wresters with less skill, then I decided it is a good time to start weapon training. So I ordered all the champions to equip swords and they went to grab my freshly produced +Steel short sword+'s.
After about a minute "Urist McWrestler has suffocated", I had no idea what happened then after another minute "Urist McEliteWrestler has suffocated"... I checked my military to see that except 2 deaths, there is also a dwarf with pierced lung... Fortunately the champions gained some sword skill quickly and stopped harming others, but the beginning really scared me...
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.