Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold theif carryover.  (Read 958 times)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Kobold theif carryover.
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:40:16 pm »

I was wondering, if I kobold theif managed to steal something worthwhile, could I take an adventurer after abandoning the fortress, and head to the kobold civ base to get it back?  Or after a few fortresses and writing down what they took, rely on the items being there when I embark on the cave?

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold theif carryover.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 02:41:11 pm »

I think you need to wait until the Caravan Arc is fully up and runnin
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 02:45:49 pm »

So, only the worldgen items that get stolen wind up there?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 02:46:05 pm »

Yeah, if it gets off the map, it ceases to exist. Only worldgen.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 07:38:48 pm »

Bye-bye artifacts.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:11:43 pm »

^^^ Are you guys positive about that?  I'm pretty sure I've gone to human towns and found items that I traded to caravans from that civ in Adventure Mode.

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:22:56 pm »

Same here.

The town I mostly traded to when I had a fortress with heavy Turtle Shell output had tonsss of turtle shell crafts in Adv mode.
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:24:52 pm »

I think (but of course, I've never tested it so I could be wrong) that what happens when you see crap all over town is this: you visit it with an adventurer, which makes the game generate stuff for the shops and whatnot. You come back later (maybe with a different adventurer) and the stuff all gets scattered, just like stuff gets scattered when you visit your old forts.

Like I said, I've never tested it, I just always figured that was the cause of piles of crap laying all over.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 04:16:29 pm »

How do I find kobold sites on the map?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 04:37:36 pm »

How do I find kobold sites on the map?

They'll be in a cave.

First, you need to know what group the kobold was from.  Check the civs screen while still in fortress mode and write down the kobold civ name.  After you abandon the fortress, load the save in Legends mode (can't do that while you have a game in progress) and export detailed info for the region.  This puts a text file in your DF folder.  Search that text file for the civ name and you should find descriptions of a cave(s).  In Legends, look up those caves in Sites and note their location on the map.

Phew.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 06:20:35 pm »

Why can't they just have markers on the region map like all the other civs?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 07:32:40 pm »

Well, caves do have markers (if you've discovered them, or if you turned on "Reveal all historical events" in init).  But it's hard to find the one you're looking for out of hundreds, especially when the marker doesn't tell you what civ they're inhabited by.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 10:10:32 pm »

I definatly ended up with items from forts in human towns.

I had Large serrated disks an things inside towns, stuff that is ONLY ever made in fortress mode.  They defiantly make it back to the group you traded with.  The catch is that they don't end up being owned by them, it turns into just random junk laying around(the first time you visit the site you get a wagon is scuttled message and all the items end up on one tile.  Second visit they scatter) 

If you see a mule in a town in adventure mode after trading check it's inventory.  Chances are its still carrying some of the stuff that was traded.

Now if the items end up at the kobold's site or a child ending up at a goblin site I never checked, but I bet it works the same way.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 04:40:51 am »

I'm quite sure that fortress children stolen by gobbos end up in goblin towers. Toady makes a lot of thing he doesn't make us aware of because he considers them unfinished but there's a great framework for future updates already. We will be able to get kidnapped kids and stolen artifacts back in future army arc releases so they already are recorded somewhere and don't vanish. It's sad that we should wait a lot of time for it to be fully implemented but it's good to know that there's a basis already.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 03:37:57 pm »

You can find kobold civs in the civ map by looking in year 1-2 and finding a cave at the center of a civ.