Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Concrete  (Read 2102 times)

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
Re: Concrete
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 05:33:14 am »

Can you encase goblins in obsidian? or will they vaporize as soon as they go in the magma? I want to make Han Solo style tables.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 07:47:52 am »

It's actually an important distinction for concrete.  Concrete is incredibly strong in compression but really weak in tension or bending.  So concrete would be great for, say, walls and columns, and some floors, but wouldn't work at all for mechanisms (which was suggested earlier in the thread).

Also, both our posts before that were about whether concrete works in tension, so I'd say my reply was directly relevant to our discussion.

BradB: I'm pretty sure they'll vaporize, but I haven't tried it myself.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 08:04:26 am »

It's not really picky - it wasn't just a slightly off term, it was the completely opposite term. As korora noted, it probably wouldn't be worth mentioning except that it has an in game effect - used for things like mugs or mechanisms concrete wouldn't work very well, but it's just as strong as stone if used for a wall.

I think a good way to implement concrete might be to allow you to construct things out of it (walls, columns, bridges, workshops, ect.) but not allow you to use it as a workshop ingredient(mechanisms, mugs, doors, ect.)

Yes, there are some things in the masonry shop that concrete would work fine for (blocks!) but it's probably simpler to disable concrete as a workshop component in general than worry about what masonry objects you can and can't make out of it.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 03:31:24 pm »

Hmm.
You could mould concrete blocks, or simply have masses mixed up in barrels and pour it into a hole.
I know the stasis-barrels are a bit silly, but I have no idea how else it would work.
A -Dwarven Cement Mixer- is a bit silly.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 06:11:57 pm »

It's not really picky - it wasn't just a slightly off term, it was the completely opposite term. As korora noted, it probably wouldn't be worth mentioning except that it has an in game effect - used for things like mugs or mechanisms concrete wouldn't work very well, but it's just as strong as stone if used for a wall.

I think a good way to implement concrete might be to allow you to construct things out of it (walls, columns, bridges, workshops, ect.) but not allow you to use it as a workshop ingredient(mechanisms, mugs, doors, ect.)

Yes, there are some things in the masonry shop that concrete would work fine for (blocks!) but it's probably simpler to disable concrete as a workshop component in general than worry about what masonry objects you can and can't make out of it.

Really I think the way to do it is have a "concrete making workshop" - you don't make wood blocks at the masonry workshop, so why make concrete blocks there? The input is crushed stone (maybe the result of unskilled miners), lime, etc and the output is concrete blocks. You can build anything out of it that you can build from any other kind of blocks.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 06:35:17 pm »

I think concrete should be stored in barrels and able to be used in weapon traps.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 12:43:53 am »

Can you encase goblins in obsidian? or will they vaporize as soon as they go in the magma? I want to make Han Solo style tables.

Water first, then the magma.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 03:40:07 pm »

I would suggest that we store concrete in bags and require a bucket of water to use it as a building material, but the dwarves still can't carry more than one object at a time. Besides, concrete is supposed to be easier to use for construction than raw stone. Making it harder to build things from raw stone is an option, I guess, but making aboveground construction even harder than it is now doesn't sound very fun.

It might be easier to implement after some hauling improvements.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 05:12:07 pm »

Concrete is only easier if you do whole appartment blocks at once. Or only need to fill a small hole. It's main attraction point is that it's fast. Quality minded dwarves would probably find it offensive, since they're quite able to produce perfectly fitting stone parts.

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 10:16:23 pm »

Reinforced concrete could be made with metal bars, which could matter if realistic cave-ins are implemented.
Pages: 1 [2]