Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A whole lotta questions...  (Read 2527 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A whole lotta questions...
« on: October 19, 2008, 03:50:24 am »

1,For lack of anything better to do with it, I've started turning the lignite/butiminous coal veins I've discovered into coke.

Problem is I have 4 magma forges and 6 magma smelters, I don't need the stuff for fuel, and I'm tired of having to expand the bar/block stockpile to accomodate it plus the stupid quantities of iron and copper we have. I don't want to trade it because there's already enough stuff to carry out to the depot.

Is there any downside to using coke as a building material? Is it especially valuable when used as such?

2, I'm looking at my furniture stockpile and I have about a dozen empty bins in stock. So why is my finished goods stockpile, a room which is over a full-screen across from west to east, have only a few bins in it with 90% of the items just lying on the floor? And pretty much filling it, might I add. How do you get dwarves to actually USE a bin?

3, I've got some shops. No big news there. But one of them is an "Exotic Clothing" shop! It's stocking the unwearable Elven/Human/Goblin clothing I haven't been able to trade away. And Dwarves are patronising it! Why?

4, And how? I haven't minted any coins. What's everyone using for money?

5, And where are all the goblins? We're in year seven. The goblins (from a civilization called "The Hermitic Curses") started ambushing in autumn of the second year and continued doing so like clockwork for the next year, then they just stopped. Is it something to do with the 2 goblin master thieves whose remains wound up sticking in our archery targets? We're at war with them. Have they lost their nerve?

6, I have a legendary clothier, a skilled clothier, and 2 clothing shops working pretty hard. We have plenty of clothes. So why is my broker, a legendary miner who shouldn't have to pay for anything, walking around in tatters?

anyone help with any of these?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: A whole lotta questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:15:11 am »

1. Charcoal and coke have a base value of 10 per bar, so it's more valuable than making walls from stone or wood, but only like 2 or 3 times.  It's also used for steel, but I'm sure you know that and don't have any flux.  If you wanted to build stuff with it, knock yourself out since walls can't burn.

2. Does the stockpile have any limit on how bins it can use?  If it's less than the max then, well you get the drift.  If that's not the case, then it's probably just crappy job-assignment, since it sounds like you've got a pretty packed fortress.

3. I have no idea why, but yes, dwarves will buy ridiculous shit, including clothes they can't use.  I have a broker who stuffs his quarters with appropriated goblin socks.

4. Credit cards basically.  Dwarves still have accounts without coins, they're just all on paper.  Minting coins is actually pretty dumb, since the bad stack handling means little piles of them wind up all over, driving your haulers crazy.

5. It's possible you killed them all.  I think under certain conditions, if enough of a race die they just stop coming.  Sometimes they get lazy too.

6. Same boneheaded reasons for the stuff above.  Dwarves grab random needed things whenever they have time, some are haphazard about it, and some just don't care.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:21:10 am »

1. I dont know, I bet you'd have some fun if you set it up near your magma :D
2. I assume you have more bins? Try haulting production for things that go in that stock pile for a bit, before long your dwarves should start putting stuff back in bins. That's what I've had to do in the past.
3.Maybe they like it? *shrugs*
4. Credit.
5. I've heard that goblin civ will run out of people to send periodically, could be that.
6. Maybe  try going into the military screen and set him to wear leather, then set it back? (m -> w if you didnt already know..)
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:09:40 pm »

1. Charcoal and coke have a base value of 10 per bar, so it's more valuable than making walls from stone or wood, but only like 2 or 3 times.  It's also used for steel, but I'm sure you know that and don't have any flux.  If you wanted to build stuff with it, knock yourself out since walls can't burn.

Good to know.

2. Does the stockpile have any limit on how bins it can use?  If it's less than the max then, well you get the drift.  If that's not the case, then it's probably just crappy job-assignment, since it sounds like you've got a pretty packed fortress.

I'm sorry, could you be a little more specific? I haven't turned off hauling on anyone except the armourer. The fort is pretty busy with a low idler rate but...damn, I don't think anyone's touched a bin in years now. On the plus side, we found that Hydra skull totem we were looking for.

3. I have no idea why, but yes, dwarves will buy ridiculous shit, including clothes they can't use.  I have a broker who stuffs his quarters with appropriated goblin
socks.
We've got 2 of these shops now, plus a general store that stocks more such items.
4. Credit cards basically.  Dwarves still have accounts without coins, they're just all on paper.  Minting coins is actually pretty dumb, since the bad stack handling means little piles of them wind up all over, driving your haulers crazy.
So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it? We've got no gold or silver anyway.

5. It's possible you killed them all.  I think under certain conditions, if enough of a race die they just stop coming.  Sometimes they get lazy too.
We only smeared 5-6 ambushes worth! We were barely getting started. Lousy Hermitic Curses! Lazy, lazy, goblins.
This one really annoys me. I like playing this fort because the location's got everything bar flux, but being freezing and haunted has it's own challenges. The first year in this fort was brutal and we barely survived and now we've got this big, thriving duchy with glassmaking and a good clothing industry and the beginnings of some soap roads. I've got everything working except cheesemaking, basically, and that's because we've got no cows. I'm quite proud of the place and I know it would take forever to find another site with all the same attractions, but without goblins it's really missing something.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 07:14:38 pm »

2. what dwarves do with a given set of labors is highly variable. they might just be hauling other stuff.

4. it's BETTER to not fix it. if you fix it they'll waste all their time hauling things around.

5.if you wiped out their local leaders in those ambushes somehow, then they might stop coming. also, they could have been about to get wiped out when worldgen ended, and those 7 ambushes took out all their troops.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 07:18:44 pm »

None of their leaders are dead, so I sincerely doubt they're that low on troops.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:21:37 pm »

i guess they lost big before the game started. their local leaders would not appear as dead after worldgen. how many do they have?
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:39:47 pm »

At work right now, and I don't remember. But it was about a dozen of the usual mix of Elite Marksgoblins, Axe Lords, Drunks and the like.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 09:19:26 pm »

I've got everything working except cheesemaking, basically, and that's because we've got no cows.

Not one of your original questions but i might just add it to prevent the inevitable "do my cows miss tits or what?", simply said, cows can't be milked (yet), infact the only animal milkable is the purring maggot, which can be (only?) found in a chasm by trapping it in a (baited?) animal trap. (its vermin)
You might be able to trade for them though, don't remember the exact deal.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 10:36:47 pm »

I cannot hear you because Korean schoolgirls are using my office for dancing practice.

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 09:31:42 pm »

2, I'm looking at my furniture stockpile and I have about a dozen empty bins in stock. So why is my finished goods stockpile, a room which is over a full-screen across from west to east, have only a few bins in it with 90% of the items just lying on the floor? And pretty much filling it, might I add. How do you get dwarves to actually USE a bin?

Sometimes I've noticed if the stockpile is totally full of loose items then dwarves won't bring more bins to it. I think they need a free space to place the bin before they can start putting the things in the stockpile into it.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 09:47:50 pm »

Coke is good for a reserve smithing grounds, who knows when Urist/Megabeast gets in there.

I don't really know how to use them, they hold stacks of things.

Eh? Dwarves love to wear anything, that's why we forbid it, so they drop it, then you reclaim it, then you send it to the Depot.

Minting coins is good for somethings, like trading for expensive things, if you encrust it with rare gems, you just got a buy ticket.

Meh, the game naturally runs out of nearby baddies.

The f'tarded Dwarves are really bad at changing clothes, I recommend 'Unit View > Inv > *Select Object* >  *Select Dump* ' then he dumps it, and without any choice, he gets something new.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 07:46:25 am »

I cannot hear you because Korean schoolgirls are using my office for dancing practice.
I want Your job.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 08:01:10 am »

About the clothes...

Since dwarves can wear multiple layers, they may just be wearing a new shirt over top of the old one (or vice versa)

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 03:05:28 pm »

I'm sorry, could you be a little more specific? I haven't turned off hauling on anyone except the armourer. The fort is pretty busy with a low idler rate but...damn, I don't think anyone's touched a bin in years now. On the plus side, we found that Hydra skull totem we were looking for.
Try mass-forbidding and then mass-reclaiming the entire stockpile.  That usually gets the dwarves to start putting stuff in its spot.  If that doesn't work, set up another stockpile, have it take from your full one, and then (if necessary) do the forbid-then-reclaim thing.

3. I have no idea why, but yes, dwarves will buy ridiculous shit, including clothes they can't use.  I have a broker who stuffs his quarters with appropriated goblin
socks.
We've got 2 of these shops now, plus a general store that stocks more such items.
Pretty much, yeah.  AFAIK you can't control what type of store a shop turns into, but some dwarves like unwearable stuff for some reason.  General Stores carry pretty much anything that the other categories carry, so you'll find a bit of everything, including those (narrow elf leather loincloths).

So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it? We've got no gold or silver anyway.
Bingo.

We only smeared 5-6 ambushes worth! We were barely getting started. Lousy Hermitic Curses! Lazy, lazy, goblins.
This one really annoys me. I like playing this fort because the location's got everything bar flux, but being freezing and haunted has it's own challenges. The first year in this fort was brutal and we barely survived and now we've got this big, thriving duchy with glassmaking and a good clothing industry and the beginnings of some soap roads. I've got everything working except cheesemaking, basically, and that's because we've got no cows. I'm quite proud of the place and I know it would take forever to find another site with all the same attractions, but without goblins it's really missing something.
Goblins should start sieging sooner or later.  But I too have noticed that they seem to just give up after a while.  For example, in every single fort I've played since .39 came out, they'll eventually get up to an 80-goblin siege.  But when I kill that one, sieges will drop back down to 30 for so damn long that I get bored and start a new fort before they start trying again.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: [1] 2 3