Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tournament of Spears: Postponed  (Read 2607 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament of Spears: Coming Soon
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 05:57:41 pm »

Naw, just leave them to die in the cell. Or let them out, if you're an altruist like me.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 06:31:53 pm »

You could make individual videos of each fight.  That would solve the length problem.

Oh yeah, you'll need something to make each chamber into a barracks so the dwarves will actually spar.  :)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 06:40:16 pm »

I don't mean to steal any thunder but I've got a tournament fortress under construction right now, too.

It seemed like a simple enough task at the start. I've gone from digging out a series of connected rooms to making a 2nd food/drink dumping level, to making both levels completely compartmentalized, to making a tomb complex in addition to all that. And now it just struck me: I'm going to have to keep the peasant 'volunteers' isolated and separated from each other until the tournament is ready to take place, which means building yet another isolation/food dumping level.

It got really complicated really quickly.

Edit: I mean, I have to build probably on the order of around 150 doors for the whole thing, and manage the logistics of supplying 15 rooms (not counting isolation chambers) with food and drink. Plus I'll need to smooth the whole tournament complex, and engrave the final arena once it comes down to it.

Then on top of it all I'll need 15 (going with 16 Dwarves) coffins and tombs for the participants that never made it

Oh, and of course I can't forget all the steel spears I'll need to make for it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 06:50:49 pm by Dogman »

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 07:28:23 pm »

Actually you can just keep your peasant volunteers in the fort proper until you want to draft em'.

Just make sure you only manufacture standardized spears and armor.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 07:31:01 pm »

Actually you can just keep your peasant volunteers in the fort proper until you want to draft em'.

Just make sure you only manufacture standardized spears and armor.
But then they'd get social skills and get different/stronger attributes among each other instead of being equally inept and useless.

Hm.. but then again, it's not like every participant of every tournament is equal. And having a tournament filled with statless peasants is pretty boring. I don't know what I was thinking.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 07:34:20 pm »

Not to mention with all the luck involved, a slight increase with social skills won't matter much.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 08:09:25 pm »

You know what you gotta do... get peoples individual champs....

Urist McBetsonstuff :I want a swordsdwarf

Urist McRecruit: Aye Aye Sir!

*POOF*

Urist McSwordsdwarf: LET ME AT EM

Like people will create their own champ and them set them to the test, or do you want everyone to have the same stats and weapons
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 08:13:40 pm »

the point of this one is that it's sparring with the most ludicrously dangerous weapons in the game that you can spar with.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 08:15:53 pm »

oh ok....
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 09:58:59 pm »

Edit: on second thought, I'll leave this to Warlord. I'm sure he'll have a much easier time with it than I'm having.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:25:21 pm by Dogman »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 12:53:44 am »

Edit: on second thought, I'll leave this to Warlord. I'm sure he'll have a much easier time with it than I'm having.

I'll eagerly admit, I am taking a far, far less complicated approach than yours. Coffins? For losers? HAH!

Total of 14 compartmentalized chambers, each with a weapon rack; there are holes in the ice above for food drops, since I decided to go the lazy route. My current champions and the marksdwarf will be keeping guard above. Building it so far away from the fortress proper was probably a mistake, but I wanted to build it in ice, so dammit, it's built in ice.

The final chamber is open-air all the way, and will be surrounded by cheering dwarves when the final battle comes. Future tournaments will have far better seating arrangements, possibly even a set of feasting tables; improved decoration is also implied. Possibly also traps.

Standard weapon/armor setup is one steel spear and one iron shield; quality is varied, but frankly I don't care, as the fights are fairly random anyway.

The official post will come tommorrow, once I've tallied up the names and stats of all the fighters and devised a suitable method of imposing a gambling structure. X money for everyone, winner gets to host the next Tournament with conditions of their choosing? :P
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 03:35:35 am »

What are you doing with dwarves that say, just have a leg injury? Leave them to die and have the victor precede on?

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 06:51:03 pm »

using dwarf tweak to heal them up to brown after a certain period of time has elapsed seems like a good idea.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 07:00:47 pm »

What are you doing with dwarves that say, just have a leg injury? Leave them to die and have the victor precede on?

Victor proceeds onwards, loser deals with a score of goblins thrown in through the roof. If he wins, maybe he gets exempt from the death penalty. Possible?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 07:09:19 pm »

Victor proceeds onwards, loser deals with a score of goblins thrown in through the roof. If he wins, maybe he gets exempt from the death penalty. Possible?

Hmm. Well, had I goblins, this would be entirely suitable.

Also, some postponement, as I am on an art binge - in terms you fine gentlemen might understand, I've claimed an art studio and begun a mysterious construction.

I just reread that sentence. Good lord if this game hasn't made me more of a nerd than I ever thought possible.

BACK TO WORK!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: 1 [2] 3