Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How bitching DF can be with imagination  (Read 1021 times)

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How bitching DF can be with imagination
« on: October 18, 2008, 07:02:18 pm »

So, Second siege of my fort, and i have a giant tower that goes straight up and is in the middle of a bottomless pit(it is used to bring water from the underground river up to a cistern then let it fall and give happy thoughts...not quite to the filing the cistern part yet) and all the gobbos went and stood their staring at it....instead of using the front door(i locked it....i thinks thats why)....

Gobby McPikeman: I could throw ya ova' der, dem shorties wont know what hit em
Gobbo McUberArcher: OI!! Look here come some o' der soldiers!!

The one archer starts firing and kills one of my marksdwarves that was standing there looking dumb..... and so there is my champion.... sprinting across the bridge dodging arrows AND shooting back trying to get up to save his buddy, in this flurry of lines, my champ killed 3 gobbos and scared off the archer, then the rest of my marksdwarves appeared and took positions on a upper level of the tower and let the blood god wallow in the death...

Dwarf Fortress is the most addicting and imaginative game ever designed and thrust into our little inexperienced hands that i will ever see....I LOVE IT
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: How bitching DF can be with imagination
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:52:31 pm »

You were right about locking the door keeping them out. They can't open locked doors.

In the older versions, as the sieges got larger, they eventually brought trolls with them to smash down your impenetrable granite barrier. Not sure if they still do that.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 08:20:36 pm »

They do if they have access to trolls.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 08:30:33 pm »

Unless you have an iron door.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 08:58:47 pm »

Unless you have an iron door.
No, they still bust it. [linky]
I think bridges might be unbreakable when raised... though since a tantruming dwarf can (and will) smash a bridge he's standing on I'm not sure).

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:15:05 pm »

Well damn. Darn reading the Wiki before all the information has been updated from 2D to 3D!

Although from what I could see, buildings can only be destroyed if the destroyer can path past it. Like a door. From what I have seen with some giants was that if there is way to path into your fort, building destroyers won't try.

Although others could and would prove me wrong.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 09:21:12 pm »

Although others could and would prove me wrong.

Its what we (by we I mean dwarf forters) do
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.