Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Spore Editor  (Read 57935 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Editor
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2008, 03:59:54 am »

With how much hype the thing's getting, I think one of our local "unlimited-internet" persons will download it and put it up on eMule sooner. I mean, it's already up for download at AG.ru
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2008, 06:14:25 am »

This thing looks perfect for creating Lovecraft's monstrosities and Oddworld inhabitants, it's too cartoony for anything else...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2008, 06:32:41 am »

It's missing three quarters of its content and functions though...

Addition:

Found this monster on AG.ru boards. I will not dare put it in img tags...
Monster(s).
Not for anyone under the age of 18. As if those under that age would care. :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:16:06 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2008, 08:30:38 am »

I know its immature but that one gave me a chuckle.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2008, 09:17:06 am »

Most Spore monsters I see on the Internet either have a penis or are one...

Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2008, 09:21:58 am »

Do what?

Get them all one one background.

Just copy paste them in to a larger paint file.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2008, 09:52:26 am »

It's missing three quarters of its content and functions though...

Addition:

Found this monster on AG.ru boards. I will not dare put it in img tags...
Monster(s).
Not for anyone under the age of 18. As if those under that age would care. :)

As amazingly immature as that is... I don't suppose you could put up the actual creature file, somewhere?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2008, 01:38:15 pm »

Haha, that's actually clever.  A very creative use of the tools provided to create something that the game creators never intended to exist.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2008, 02:10:02 pm »

No, I don't have the creature file. The creator only posted the picture, with a commentary: "You should've seen how this thing RUNS :)".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2008, 02:30:14 pm »

I lol'd.  I can't get enough of the CC.  I've made like 35, and my brother's made ten or eleven.  I have to buy it.
Shoes...

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2008, 02:52:33 pm »

I myself am totally satisfied and not at all upset about features that this ~~FREE DEMO~~ has.

You say "Free demo" like EA plans on changing anything about the editor before it comes out.

You say it as if it's incomplete, and the intend to make it the way that Will envisioned; the way that all of us want it to be.

No.  EA's too lame for that.

If Will could only team up with a different company to live out his dreams to their fullest.  Bay12Games, for instance.  Now THAT would be a perfect world.   ;D

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2008, 02:53:03 pm »

It turns out, my graphics card (Radeon 9250) is too weak for this...
So much for those elder things from Mountains of Madness  :P.
Well, damn. If it is only about the video card then I will also be unable to play this.  :-[ I was gonna try it tomorrow when it comes out.

On totally unrelated note to Spore, since you Fishersalwaysdie have the same graphics card that I do, do some of the games you play make sudden warps at short intervals? It's really really annoying and I'm wondering if it's completely Radeon 9250's fault.

I have 2.96 GHz and 512 RAM, so if you don't have same problems, I'd like to know if these or other things differ a lot.

EDIT: On a related note to Spore, the cartoonish look on the CC makes the immature things look even more perverse.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 02:57:19 pm by LASD »

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2008, 02:54:05 pm »

Actually, while demonising EA is fun, whatever features are removed were probably removed for balance, to reduce filesize or just because they were simply unworkable.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2008, 03:06:33 pm »

Elder Thing, courtesy of Cthulhu.
Shoes...

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2008, 03:16:18 pm »

Even so; they took a lot out that Will wanted in.  With all the procedural work they did, they could have calculated the speed/strike damage/all the other hard stats with some sort of algorithm that analyzed how the creature was built; not the parts that are on it.  That was put in for simplicity's sake.  Most people play games that they know how something works in it.  It's easy to see "This adds 1 to speed... I'll add that" instead of "how could I change the body shape to increase this creature's speed?"

As has been mentioned... It's been dumbed down quite a bit from where they wanted it.  If you don't believe me, look at the first video.  It looked a lot more...  Brutal.  More lifelike than the current poofy Chicken-Run style clouds and trees.  Why?  Kids think that it's fun.  It's gonna be rated E.  Just so EA gets more money.  It all circles around to EA bashing; it really does.

I can understand the complexity meter.  Imagine a creature with 500 heads... That would look stupid, cluttered, and would probably break something.  With the simplistic controls and ideals and graphics(not simplistic in this case; just appealing to children) I could guarantee that kids would try to do something like this...

I thought that I heard there was a way to disable symmetry...  But apparently they took that out.  Just thought that I'd say that. :P

But, the editor really isn't bad.  I really like the idea of the Sporepedia; and that your PNG is actually your save(if that's true, which it's likely).  I also like how small the creatures are.  An average of around 20 to 40 kb for something like that is amazing, in my opinion!  That's about the size of a 2 second MP3, for comparison.  Also, it is pretty freaking easy to use, and yet still allows for some pretty complex designs.  The animations...  Hoo boy!  I don't understand how they did such a good job with that.  That must have been nightmarish.  All of them look exactly like their titles imply, I swear.  I reeeeally got the "sumo" feel, even from a 1 footed creature.

As I'm sure that many others feel;  I'm pleased with what I have, but disappointed because they promised so much more...

But what can you expect...  We don't live in the future, or in a money based on desires of those without money, and EA isn't going to risk money on changing how they do things.  So they had to make it simple, and less awesome.  I was expecting worse than what we got, so I suppose I'm somewhat happy about what we have.  Also, the game will be 50x more fun than the creator, and I'm still having a blast with it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16