Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Spore Editor  (Read 57931 times)

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Editor
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2008, 03:07:12 pm »

Lol its not actually called a quid its jus what most english call a pound.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2008, 03:52:46 pm »

Do what?

Get them all one one background.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2008, 04:11:49 pm »

"Quid" is kind of the English version of "buck".

Except 'buck' harks back to a time when a doe skin was valued at fifty cents, while a male deer's was worth twice that.  I haven't the faintest idea where 'quid' comes from.

I just thought I'd throw that in.  Those system specs have kind of killed my interest.  I've waited for Spore a long time, but I doubt I'll be able to play it any time soon.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2008, 04:34:27 pm »

That thing is downright terrifying.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 04:38:09 pm »

Yeah, I wish you could make them bigger, or at least put two creatures together for a size comparison.  I can't tell how big any of these creatures are compared to whatever I'm going to play.  I sure hope I get a volcanic planet though.  I have a whole bunch of volcanic-looking creatures.  The aforementioned Balrog, a Cerberus, a fire scorpion, I can't remember if I have any more.
Shoes...

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2008, 04:43:32 pm »

My guess is that you always start on a relatively peaceful world. However, I assume that nothing will stop you from making it volcanic once you have the technology. Ooh... Pollution would be fun to play around with.
Oh and in response to putting them together for size comparison, I want some sort of arena feature. That would be fucking awesome.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2008, 05:07:40 pm »

Yeah, that would be cool.

The full version CC should just be called Spore Creator, and give you all of the creation tools.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

Can someone email me the editor thing? It's too damn large for me to download, too expensive... I'll PM with my address...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2008, 05:16:44 pm »

Can someone email me the editor thing? It's too damn large for me to download, too expensive... I'll PM with my address...
I'm confused. Don't you ... download e-mail? Or does your ISP have some kind of funky bandwidth rules that exclude e-mail attachments?

No e-mail service I use allows 190 MB attachments, so I couldn't help you anyway.

Spore is now looking pretty darn entertaining to me. I agree with the above guys looking for an arena add-on, and I won't be surprised if they sell one.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

Have you guys seen the Epic Creatures yet?  Apparently every once in a while a creature will, for some reason, grow to a massive size.  I saw a magazine printout of one that was like Lost Planet big.  I'll try to find it.

I can't find it, but trust me, they're big.
Shoes...

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2008, 05:57:03 pm »

I'm kinda with 'thatguyyaknow' here. The complexity limit and stats system kind of seems like it would make a lot of the parts less used than others. Without seeing the other parts it makes me wonder if any of the earlier, less expensive parts will be useful at all late-game. Depends on the bonuses they provide, I guess.

The animations have gotten a lot more rigid. It seems worrying about center of mass is gone - the big-headed tweety example Will showed would be just as fast as any other with the same parts. That and it doesn't matter what limb configuration you come up with - the max speed appears to be 5, and feet (?) appear to matter more than limbs. The legs will go at a blur if they're small and your creature has a lot of them, and when you have longer ones, it just looks silly. It just isn't nearly as impressive a simulation as it was before. It's still damn cool, but some of the magic is gone.

I think the complexity limit is there to limit file size and system requirements more than for balance. There's already a hard limit on the maximum amount you can have in an ability, and anyway, it's a single player game, why not let players get extremely powerful creatures if they want? Since the assets are made by other players, you can always stick in a nastier predator if you need one, although I suppose there has to be a limit.

One fear I had confirmed by this is that there's very little detail as far as the creature forms go. You can make a blob and stick things on it, and some of them have the dimension modifiers you want, some of them don't. Most of them don't scale as far as they really should be able to. You can't shape the blob beyond expanding and contracting around the spine - there's no surface deformation, etc, which should be possible given that it uses Maya. It's just very clutzy, probably so that people don't get confused, but it'd be nice to have more advanced features if you wanted them. You also can't put things on a lot of the other parts - as far as I can recall it's limited to feet, hands, limbs, and mouths.

As far as visual creativity goes, it's great, but if you wanted a creature that couldn't sneak to use the whip-like things, for instance (very attractive part, IMO), you're out of luck. It'd be really nice if you could add on parts without cost or benefit, just for aesthetics - nature is full of iterative processes, and it doesn't make sense that it costs the same to add an additional feather if you already have four.

I would absolutely love this if they could make a more detailed editor. Even if you couldn't download creatures from their servers, and had to manually download them yourself so that things didn't get too clogged, the complexity limit irked the hell out of me, and it's only going to get more irritating in the building/vehicle editors.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2008, 06:19:08 pm »

Firstly i don't think there is anything wrong with the CC i think its a smart little thing and second which is more of a tip than anything towards Eagleon if you hold alt while dragging a joint or part it copies it and if you hold ctrl you can join it with an existing part such as having an extra joint in an arm or leg also when you look at a game do you intentionally find the bad points? can you not just put them aside and have fun with the game?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2008, 06:27:33 pm »

As I said, it's a great toy. I'll probably buy the full CC and I'll definitely be getting Spore when it releases. That said I've been following this practically since it was announced at GDC, and the arbitrary limitations and decrease in the depth of the procedural animations are a big disappointment to me. The latter is probably because of quirks that popped up during testing that they couldn't iron out fast enough for the developers to be happy with their progress, but the former just seems to go against the spirit of the game.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2008, 06:33:34 pm »

The limitations are probably to keep it simple for the stupid kids that will inevitably be screwing things up.  EA has to have lots of customers, and what better than stupid people?
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2008, 06:35:58 pm »

It's not that, Future.  Spore has been in development a long time, and more than a few of us have been waiting and waiting for it.  Months ago videos from E3 and other conferences surfaced and many of us sat there for an hour and watched Will Wright promise us the moon and the stars, and then we told everyone we knew, and watched it again just to drool.  Then we waited.  Perhaps it's unfair of us, to hold the game to the standards of our imaginations... even if that's what he tried to meet.  As someone said, even Will isn't God.  But it's hard not to.  It's not bitter criticism you're seeing.  It's disappointment.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16