Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Spore Editor  (Read 57929 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Editor
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2008, 02:31:22 pm »

I am disappointed in the dumbing down of the game, but it seems like it could still be really cool, at least for a game that's been developed under EA's supervision.  I'm not too sure about buying it right away though since it's got the same DRM as Mass Effect which is apparently causing people lots of problems.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2008, 02:38:27 pm »

I was so hyped up about Spore when I first heard about it, I thought the gaming industry had finally made something worthwhile.

And then I found out that it wasn't going to be an evolution simulator.  I was seriously disappointed.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2008, 02:40:42 pm »

I was so hyped up about Spore when I first heard about it, I thought the gaming industry had finally made something worthwhile.

And then I found out that it wasn't going to be an evolution simulator.  I was seriously disappointed.

Yeah, I didn't get the memo from Will Wright saying it was supposed to be a toy either when I first heard about it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2008, 03:32:39 pm »

I've had doubts about Spore's game design since I first saw ingame footage. It's ridiculously hard to make something as coherent as EVO:Search for Eden, on Spore's scale. There, it worked because the whole thing was story driven. Here, a free creature builder based on earning DNA "experience", with no constraints whatsoever...  it can't be a game. It's a sandbox time-killer, at most. Unless the later (tribal and further) stages have something really neat planned for them apart from a "custom skyscraper SimCity" design, the game will only be held afloat by the community churning out new content and finding design exploits. It's the bane of such games, when there's a whole lot of stuff to do, and you know most of them are no challenge at all because you are nigh unstoppable. Games like Space Rangers (were there really any other such games?) circumvent this by throwing in completely off-the-beat segments of completely different gameplay, like having to run a ski resort or racing a supercharged antique car in an intergalactic championship..  I don't see stuff like that appearing in Spore.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

XchrisX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2008, 04:31:05 pm »

So I have paid for the full version of the creature creator, and now I wish I hadn't.
It seems that to actually download the creature creator, I must install a program called EA Download Manager. Good enough.
I downloaded and ran the executable. It game me an error.
Error 1931.The Windows Installer service cannot update the sytem file C:WINDOWSsystem32winhttp.dll because the file is protected by Windows. You may need to update your operating system for this program to work correctly
[OK] [Cancel]
So I click OK, and the rest of the installation goes according to plan. However, when I run the Download Manager, it has my email in the top right corner, the EA logo with "Download manager" and settings and help below that in the top left, EA store in the bottom left-hand corner, and a resize-thing in the bottom right. However, the middle part, that I assume is supposed to show me what games I have paid for and can download, is blank. It's just white. Nothing.
I've done a bit of googling and screwed around a bit, trying to manually update the winhttp.dll file with one I found online that appears to be a newer version, but nothing seems to fix it.
Help?

Oh, and I'm running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1.
I'm thinking it might help to upgrade to SP2, but that proves... troublesome, as I believe there's that pesky Windows Genuine Advantage thing, that I'd really rather not provoke the wrath of.
I have the same problem
Has anyone figured out what we could do to fix it?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 04:32:59 pm by XchrisX »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2008, 05:47:31 pm »

From what I've heard, this happens a lot.  Does Spore have a forum you can try?
Shoes...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2008, 08:11:03 pm »

I don't know if it's the same problem, but TT had one, and uninstalling the trial version fixed it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2008, 10:48:13 pm »

The trial version hits me with that error periodically. Any form of temporary shutdown, like hibernating/dehibernating the laptop, restores its functionality for me.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

XchrisX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2008, 07:08:01 am »

I don't know if it's the same problem, but TT had one, and uninstalling the trial version fixed it.
It won't even let me uninstall it
it says I have to close the game first

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2008, 01:10:45 pm »

I suspect you're using windows XP so press ctrl-alt-del, look for something with spore in its name in the processes tab and kill it.

Or alternatively restart your computer and try to uninstall it again.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2008, 04:29:20 pm »

I made another bird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je4nabtzlXc

this one actually got high marks on the spore page.

you guys make really cool ones by the way,
It think the bay12 people are way above par as far as spore is concerned.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2008, 05:23:28 pm »

I think DF players would be ahead of the entire planet if Spore took internal organs and body structure into account rather than just presence of certain external pieces. I mean, why in the nine beards of hell does the foot type determine speed? Last time I checked, it's the muscles moving the leg that affect the speed...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2008, 05:34:19 pm »

Because Spore is made for fans of The Sims.  AKA, People who otherwise don't like games.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2008, 06:54:37 pm »

Also, let's not forget the children.  Does anybody expect kids to know anything?  No.  And that's why education sucks now-a-days.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 20, 2008, 07:25:19 pm »

Even when I was a wee lad I understood the concept that longer leg == faster movement. That's not so difficult. I think it's more about gameplay balance. Then again, longer limbs could just cost more.

Oh, and thanks Toady and ThreeToe! Not only do you make a hell of a game, but you solved my problem with EA's piece of shit software.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16