Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Spore Editor  (Read 57933 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Editor
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2008, 12:45:12 pm »

Wow man, seriously, I have a wife x_x.

xD xD xD

I'm currently working on defiler. It's a pity we can't make actual fliers, I'd like to make a flying zerg mutalisk and a queen.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2008, 12:45:17 pm »

Hey, these are great!  Are they to scale though?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2008, 12:48:11 pm »

It's hard to say because I don't know how will they appear in actual spore (there should be additional size modifiers because I thought real giands and dwarfs too.

But zergling and hydralisk appear about the same size, though the zergling should be smaller. I made him biiger because I wanted details, and anyway they'll end as separate creatures.

The Ultralisk is about 1,6-1,8 times bigger than the hydralisk.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2008, 12:50:03 pm »

Hm, I'm hoping we'll be able to scale these critters up and down when the actual game comes out.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2008, 01:06:28 pm »

This waiting is going to kill me.  I'm gonna ram my head into a wall so I go into a coma until September.  I just hope I don't dream the entire time.  I'd like to instantly be in September.
Shoes...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2008, 01:12:53 pm »

I'm sad to say I've lost some interest...after three years of waiting, and after seeing the more realistic features cute-ified, it doesn't seem as awesome as it was in the first place. And I absolutely hate the new cell stage and that the water stage was axed and that creatures can't really fly. And as a side note not any of my six computers can play even the trial editor, so I won't be able to play it unless I buy a new computer anyway.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2008, 01:18:12 pm »

Can you believe that the actual game will be released in 79 days?  I almost don't believe it after waiting for like 3 years. :3

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2008, 01:19:06 pm »

I think the only good part of the game is already in the demo, but I wouldn't know for sure since I can't run the demo...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2008, 01:21:53 pm »

This is my try on defiler.
The main problem that the limbs cannot be less thick and it looks a bit "wrong"
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2008, 01:39:22 pm »

I made some zerg a while ago too:

There's too many different pictures for the zergling >_>
I'm glad blizzard appear to have made their minds up for SCII

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2008, 01:47:58 pm »

I kind of don't like that fact that you can post your creatures all over the internet so easily.  I mean when the game comes out, isn't the point of landing on new worlds so you can discover new lifeforms?

Why should I waste my time searching for the world with Hyrdralisks, when I can go download them from spore.com and put them in my own game?

IGN: Can you do anything with your creature once it's created? Can you share it with friends or show it off in some way online?

Patrick Buechner: Yes, you'll be able to share creatures you've made or import other player's creatures that you've downloaded from the Sporepedia at www.spore.com.

IGN: If you make a creature will it be usable in Spore when it ships or will you need to have to rebuild it with the final creature creator?

Patrick Buechner: Your creatures will work in Spore when it ships. There won't be a need to re-make them.

I mean that right there sort of ruins this game for me.  I was expecting to play a game where I could go exploring in a huge universe and find things never found before like Noctis. 

In the beginning, Will Wright said that creatures would be uploaded automatically into the universe so others could discover them.  I really got the idea that I would have to make an effort to find them.  Now, instead of flying somewhere, I can just download to my own planet - totally dumb. ???

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2008, 01:54:25 pm »

You don't HAVE to download them, and in three days we have 424,000 creatures on the Sporepedia.  There are five billion planets in the game's galaxy.  You will be able to go out and find new species, and strange planets.  It's not like they're holding a gun to your head and telling you to download things.
Shoes...

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2008, 02:03:14 pm »

You don't HAVE to download them, and in three days we have 424,000 creatures on the Sporepedia.  There are five billion planets in the game's galaxy.  You will be able to go out and find new species, and strange planets.  It's not like they're holding a gun to your head and telling you to download things.

True, but for me I guess it loses the "endless universe" feel that I was expecting.  The way the entire game is set up they are, in a way, "holding a gun to your head" because as soon as you upload your creature to the sporepedia you are immediately brought to the creature list where you can easily view, download and search for other player creations.  It seems like the programmers are saying, "go ahead, search for anything you want so you can view exactly what it looks like, what it does and have it downloaded to your own computer instantly".

I would probably ask myself, "gee, why should I waste my time building the ultimate spaceship to seek out and discover new life-forms when I have this fancy little 'search' button here."

For instance, let's just say I did try to completely ignore all of the references to the online database of creations and I just played the game spoiler free.  After months of playing, I finally discovered a world with creatures from the movie, "Aliens".  So I go to an online forum and brag about how I found the planet and want to show off how cool the creatures are.  I would probably get flamed at how stupid I am and that everyone "has been there and seen that already" because they did a search at spore.com and the user posted the coordinates for the planet in the comments next to the creature.

That just completely defeats the purpose of having a universe to explore at all.  It goes back to the saying, "if a tree falls in a forest and nobody sees or hears it, does it really fall?".  If a player discovers a world because he's not using the sporepedia, has he really 'discovered' anything.  Yes, perhaps to that player since he doesn't know any better.  But he does know better because he knows he has been blatantly avoiding the search button that other players are already using.

It's one thing to avoid the "cheat guide" for a game, but when the game throws the "cheat" guide at you like you're supposed to use it, it's no longer a "game" anymore - it's just a toy.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.  I'm just bored.  I don't 'hate' the game, I think it is pretty dang cool, and there are some ground-breaking things there.  It's just a little different than what I was expecting - I guess I wanted something a little more hardcore (Noctis 2 anyone?  ;D).  That's what happens when you've been following a game for 4 years and have such high expectations.  I guess I'll just enjoy it for what it is.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:25:32 pm by lumin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2008, 02:24:43 pm »

Technically, a toy is what Will Wright has called the game all along.
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2008, 02:25:22 pm »

And I absolutely hate the new cell stage and that the water stage was axed and that creatures can't really fly.

I bet the water stage will be back. If spore is going to be anything like their sims franchise they'll release lots of expansion packs to milk it as much as they can.  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16