Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What to do with unstoppable forts?  (Read 2708 times)

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with unstoppable forts?
« on: October 18, 2008, 04:33:43 pm »

Well my third fort has managed to get to the point where it is unstoppable. The goblin invasions have had there highest point, where huge attacks would happen minutes appart, but now they have dwindled and i will be lucky to get an ambush in 2 hours of playing. Even the larger sieges never made it past my first line of defense and i have yet to encounter a megabeast. My fort is pretty much self sufficient, i can leave it alone and there is enough food and entertainment for everyone, all 213 of them.
So my question is what should i do? I was waiting for an epic goblin siege to finally do me in but it appears thats not about to happen so what should i do with my lovely, yet boring fort? Im making a doomsday machine but this takes time... A LOT of time... Im willing to mod the raws to bring some sort of an epic ending to my fort.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with unstoppable forts?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 04:36:13 pm »

Giant Fire-Breathing Chinchillas.... copy the dragon and change it to chinchilla and make it do lotsa damage and make it tougher.....
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 04:37:33 pm »

This is why I am playing differently.
The creatures in my games -including goblins- are modded. These creatures are much stronger than the vanilla creatures.
I am also not using any moats/traps/defense mechanisms. My games are all about pure military action. This way the game is much more challenging, and it's endless fun also. You should try out these settings.  :)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 05:00:11 pm »

Remove all "trap' items except the ones you've invented yourself.

Brutally murder anyone who comes near the fort, including (and especially) elves, dwarf liasons and diplomats.

Eventually someone will bring the fort down I suppose...
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 05:04:54 pm »

Leave it running as an example of Dwarven bliss?
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 05:05:34 pm »

swap megabeast and goblin combat statblocks and add nobleed noemotion nopain and whatever it takes to bypass your moats.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 05:12:48 pm »

Try modding goblins so they can open doors and/or trap-avoid.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

Build a massive spear using above your fort using constructed block. Set it up so that it is connected to a lever and then drop it on you fort hopefully causing a massive series of cave-ins.

eg
Code: [Select]
              ||                     
              ||                   
              ||                     
              ||                     
           ___||___                 
           |      |
            |    |
             |  |
              ||
_______________I______
Underground fortress

Where I is the support that holds up the spear.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 05:23:37 pm »

Leave it on with no user interaction overnight.

Construct a 'ceiling' several z-levels above the sections of your fort with thin ceilings. Collapse it. Rebuild.

If all of your major areas are relativly clear of stone, change the melt tempature of a major rock layer in your fort to make it vaporize in a cloud of freezing gas.

Play a violent God by playing withthe RAW's. Cackle.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 05:24:56 pm »

nuclear catsplosion.

add a low boiling point for cat bones.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 05:58:47 pm »

Make a Giant Statue of Armok.... or just a tower, but the very bottom is supported by one suppot hooked to a lever at the top of said tower....

Make that your new home.... Let the duke pull the switch :D

all i can say is.....if anyone survives....draft them.... and call them The Untouchables
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 06:02:47 pm »

Cancel all work orders, including any repeating ones. Open all your doors. Then leave the fortress to it and see what happens.

onehellofatable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 08:28:25 pm »

Cancel all work orders, including any repeating ones. Open all your doors. Then leave the fortress to it and see what happens.
Also perhaps block access to food and alcohol stocks, equip a good body of your civilian dwarves with various weapons and watch them go berserk on each other (while you attempt to defend against whatever sieges happen with soldiers in a very poor state- if they bother to listen to you at all)
WGOIMF: Just lost 12 miners (all but 1) to cave ins within the span of an hour mining out a 20x20 pit

......Nothing could be done, it was the will of Armok!

Reyyvo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 09:44:38 pm »

Increase your population cap to 5000. Try providing food and entertainment for all of those dwarves. :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 09:48:56 pm »

Increase your population cap to 5000. Try providing food and entertainment for all of those dwarves. :P
Then watch for a steaming hot liquid coming from your computer tower. See that? That is your processor on DF overdose.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2 3