Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just a drop in the ocean...  (Read 1432 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just a drop in the ocean...
« on: October 18, 2008, 03:19:57 pm »

No really. I want to drop the ocean.

I've got a lovely bay that I've placed pumps across, and they work great: But I have a problem. It appears that as the waves crash against the rocks, they add more water. So while the mouth of the bay is almost dry, the little inlets up at the far end still have four or five water in them. How can I stop the waves?
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just a drop in the ocean...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 04:02:11 pm »

Walls, doors, channels......there is probally more
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 04:23:05 pm »

Be more specific, please.

My problem is that the waves show up in the area I've drained, hit the shoreline and break, not flow up onto the beach. This seems to generate more water inside the perimeter of my pumps.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 04:34:29 pm »

oh... my bad i thought you meant stopping waves from getting over the beach or something....i think th only way to stop them from spawning is by removing all water in the area.... you'd have to ask a pro, im just guessing on that, sorry i cant help
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 05:07:49 pm »

1. place all your cats over the ocean on somthing you can drop them off of
2. drop them.
3. immediately save and arm the nuclear catsplosion device.

put only some cats there for extra fun.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 05:12:31 pm »

You might be able to stop the waves breaking by constructing floors over the affected tiles?  If you can get the water level there (temporarily) low enough to do so.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 05:29:21 pm »

2. drop them.

Hmm...

(Tests with extra cold temperatures, just to see if a new ice machine can be made.)
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 05:29:40 pm »

Hm. That might work. But I don't think I can, in this case. I think the solution would be more pumps, in this case. Either a few extra banks of them, (300 or 400 total) or a sort of n shape pumping towards the center of the bay, so that the water the waves are depositing gets spat back to where the entry pumps can get at it...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 09:10:12 pm »

2. drop them.

But then any dwarves that go in there to work die of cancer and exposure to radiation.  What's the point of that . . .

Oh, right, being cruel to NPCs.  Time honored Dwarf Fort tradition.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 09:33:16 pm »

The ones who survive the blast won't have much to worry about. tests conducted on nuclear catsplosion sites indicate that the radiation is mostly rapidly dispersed by the shock front.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 09:37:08 pm »

The ones who survive the blast won't have much to worry about. tests conducted on nuclear catsplosion sites indicate that the radiation is mostly rapidly dispersed by the shock front.

Not to mention that radiation made from the collision of cats with barriers of temperatures is mainly carried by rain. So any fortress with weather turned off should be fine.

Now camel-based radiation, that might bring you trouble. But who would be crazy enough to make a camel-based explosion?
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 09:39:55 pm »

But who would be crazy enough to make a camel-based explosion?

:) .......

Efun Cancels Play Dwarf Fort: Editing Raws
I fixed that up for you.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 09:44:50 pm »

You fool! You could ignite the atmosphere, or crack the planet, or any number of things! This path will only lead you to ruin and terror!

At the very least test it with goblins. They won't mind dealing with the results of your mad work.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 09:49:17 pm »

At the very least test it with goblins. They won't mind dealing with the results of your mad work.

That's pretty much what I said about the nuclear catsplosion video.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 09:56:55 pm »

Well, cat-based radiation is often more stable and more preventable. The resulting fires and smoke bring the radiant particles into the air, away from the underground-based dwarves. Camel-based radiation, and most other types for that matter, are much heavier and sink to the ground without the need for rain.

Now if you could test this underground in a sealed room, then perhaps it might meet the admitidly lax dwarven safety regulations.

And on topic: Mayhaps a wall underneath the pumps, causing the wave to break outside of the pumps. Reaching these areas could be problematic, but possible.
Pages: [1] 2