Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wow.... not so epic  (Read 1630 times)

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wow.... not so epic
« on: October 18, 2008, 02:48:06 pm »

My first siege, EVER and my dwarves didnt even see the goblins..... i had a giant merchant caravan trading and the 30 some gaurds ran at the gobbos and tore en to peices.... i went through all that waiting for what.....15 peices of iron and lots of narrow clothing...
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wow.... not so epic
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 02:49:27 pm »

Don't worry, they'll be back...

And they're not happy ;)
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 03:03:22 pm »

They will come back, until they have absolutely huge sieges with 3 squads of trolls and whatnot.

It'll become a lot more fun a lot more quickly.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 03:39:54 pm »

In my experience, the sieges where my dwarves actually saw the gobs didn't turn out to well.  That's usually because it means the gobs got past my trap room....
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 05:36:06 pm »

i haven't seen trolls ever, and the only reason why my seiges are dramatic is the chrono seige bug.

you see, the bug makes seging goblins often appear in places not adjacent to map edges. i'm not sure why. anyway, while my champions were busy fighting off intruders in the fort and then being lazy, i sent 6 half-trained recruits out to rescue some dwarves trapped outside, including a legendary engraver. two survived, with the help of an elite marksdwarf and, it would seem, armok.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 07:02:53 pm »

While I haven't played in awhile the last (and main) fort I've been working on has seen almost every single goblin in the seiges riding beak dogs effectivlly doubling the seige number, every seige. The world ect in in the link in my sig.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 07:17:53 pm »

While I haven't played in awhile the last (and main) fort I've been working on has seen almost every single goblin in the seiges riding beak dogs effectivlly doubling the seige number, every seige. The world ect in in the link in my sig.

Ya what a small forum, i was just reading your bloodline story, i want to do stuff like that but i always forget and im like 7 years in so i cant really start now :P
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 03:57:55 am »

I just had my first seige ever, about five wrestlers and fives swordsgoblins, I pulled the "OH FUCK" lever in order to seal my fort, but it would seem that SOMEONE decided to go get himself plastered instead of linking up the Trade Depot Entrance's bridge to the lever.

I set up a special little system in case of elves crazy merchants, where when I destroy a section of flooring, the entire trade depot drops 15 Z-levels into oblivion, and that turned out to be my last option available, as my entire military was 6 Legendary Wrestlers, and 4 of them got messed up my marksgobbos in an ambush a while back (no casualties, only 4 military dwarves and a fisherdwarf were injured.)

I told my mason to drop it like it's hot, and he started deconstructing the floor, when I noticed a small red happy face on the wrong side of the fortress, crawling around and flashing question marks at me.

Oh Shit. A Baby. And just as the goblins found the entrance.

The goblins tore down the hallway towards the baby, and despite everything my moral compass was telling me, I had to acknowledge that nothing short of an act of god was going to save that baby.

That's when it happened.

Out of nowheres, Fikod BoltBalances "The Confining Muscle" FLIES across the depot, Clearing it just before it drops, OUTRUNS the dust, Snatches up her baby, and in one motion, snatches a goblin's sword, and hurls it through his friend so hard it knocks him a few tiles away an pinned his corpse to the wall.

Now there was a short moment of silence right about then, when the goblin horde looked at the corpse, then at the dwarf, then back at the corpse. but they must have thought "It's only one dwarf and her baby, what can they do?"

And so began the slaughter.

One goblin rushes Fikod, She dodges, and kicks him in the back, plunging him into the abyss that remained from the Depot's demise. Three swordgoblins rushed her, hoping to overwhelm her with numbers, but within a few seconds, Fikod dismantled them with her spare hand.

The rest of the siege begins to wonder if this is all worth it, as Fikod leaps into the center of them, and rips off someone's arm, only to begin wielding it as a club, maiming most of the seige before throwing it back at the goblin she ripped it off of. or rather, THROUGH the goblin she ripped it off of.

The rest of the siege decides "Screw this" and takes off like OJ simpson, but Fikod would have none of that. She managed to hunt down another two and rip them apart before he left the map. only one goblin survived the encounter. I can only assume she let him live so he can tell his people what happened.

Fikod BoltBalances "The Confining Muscle"
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Mother
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 04:01:00 am by Danaru »
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 04:04:28 am »

It always warms my heart to see my subjects charging at the enemy the true dwarf way: alone, armed with a bone crossbow, and carrying an infant.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 05:42:43 am »

It always warms my heart to see my subjects charging at the enemy the true dwarf way: alone, armed with a bone crossbow, and carrying an infant.

DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 07:30:53 am »

wow....bitching picture, and bitching mother you got there
I fixed that up for you.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 07:01:16 pm »

Nice

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 09:58:41 pm »