Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Do undead Have Souls?  (Read 6025 times)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do undead Have Souls?
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2008, 06:56:44 pm »

Of course, you still need to define what a soul IS, before you can say they lack it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2008, 07:16:10 pm »

Of course, you still need to define what a soul IS, before you can say they lack it.

For the most part these are the Pernament Soul Stats on Toady's Original Write up

Rationality
Focus
Willpower
Creativity
Intuition
Patience
Memory

No one is going to question that a Zombie has a few of these.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2008, 07:26:26 pm »

For the most part these are the Pernament Soul Stats on Toady's Original Write up

Rationality
Focus
Willpower
Creativity
Intuition
Patience
Memory

Well, not creativity intution memory or rationality.

Focus, patiency, and willpower though, it has in abundance.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2008, 07:27:38 pm »

Rationality
Focus
Willpower
Creativity
Intuition
Patience
Memory

But it could be the wizard or necromancer or spell or program that is controlling the body of the deceased which makes the zombie seem rational.

Insects for instance seem sentient but many animal behaviorists believe that the brain of an insect essentially has a bunch of 'scripts' in it for different activities (hunting for food, building a web, building a nest, etc) built into its brain. 

In some studies they stopped the insect halfway in building its nest, and then it simply built a whole nest attached to the partial nest that it had been stopped from creating - in other words, it simply went back to the start of the 'script', because the initial script had been interrupted and it had no conditional properties or whatever for that happening.  I believe that study was on wasps.

Kind of a different thing but it's relevant, and if you look at an insect it really does look like they're going about their business and 'thinking' to some degree, but they might just be running through little 'programs'.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:31:20 pm by Philosophical Gamer »
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2008, 07:28:11 pm »

Well, not creativity intution memory or rationality

While Creativity is questionable and Memory isn't a requirement. (Well it AT LEAST needs a Short Term memory)

It does have Intuition and Rationality

Rationality allows it to tell the difference between you and a lump of dirt and Intuition allows it to act upon it.

It may not be the bastion of rationality but it still has it.

Insects would be a good example of a creature with pathetically low rationality but tons of Intuition

A Zombie that doesn't take SOME action for itself is a Puppet and would need constant movement from a Puppet Master... Something Id think would cause a Necromancer's brain to explode.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:30:43 pm by Neonivek »

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2008, 07:28:39 pm »

Double Post,  :o
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2008, 09:03:40 pm »

Kind of a different thing but it's relevant, and if you look at an insect it really does look like they're going about their business and 'thinking' to some degree, but they might just be running through little 'programs'.

The same might, of course, be true of all animal, including humans; we would just have many more lines of code, more specialized neurologic hardware, and more of a focus on using our neural nets to learn new patterns rather than just a series of conditionals initialized as 'instinct' at startup (birth).

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2008, 10:19:21 pm »

The same might, of course, be true of all animal, including humans; we would just have many more lines of code, more specialized neurologic hardware, and more of a focus on using our neural nets to learn new patterns rather than just a series of conditionals initialized as 'instinct' at startup (birth).

This. Our scripts are just more complex and allow us to adjust to changes in the environment, to a greater degree.

As for souls...I don't really see why it matters in a game unless it's for storyline reasons (like Soul Reaver or something) and IRL, a "soul" is basically a holdover from the days before we realized there's no such thing as a mind-body dichotomy. The idea of there being some "essence" of each individual person is intriguing but really essence is created by the human mind's recognizing it, to the extent it exists at all.

So would undead have one? Who cares? Really, what matters is which bodily functions are still working. In the case of things like ghosts....well, I guess you can't get into that without talking about souls, but it really only matters if you're either really nitpicky about your pet fantasy world's cosmology, or if it somehow matters for the storyline.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2008, 10:56:29 pm »

So I guess an easy way to solve it is, if Toady wants souls in the game, he'll put them in, if not he won't.  It seems like a topic for which inevitably there'll be 50 different viewpoints on, though it is fun to discuss.

What about if after a creature is slain, its soul comes out and is now a wraith, something like that.  Maybe it only happens if they're beheaded or something.

Something that I wish is that DF would be more descriptive about what is happening in the game.  During a goblin siege, you can see creatures dying and their limbs and organs turning yellow/red if you use the '.' key, but there's a lot of small details that you have no idea about, I wish that it were possible to somehow have more detail in the graphics or some textual explanations of the action or something.

There are souls in the creatures and probably a myriad of other details but there's no way to know the details of what is happening, which is kind of not cool;  This is probably an unreasonable feature request, but what about having a command where what is happening within 2 squares of the cursor is reported in a text window or something, so that you can get a description of the combats or other things.  This is the total wrong thread for it too  ::)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:58:23 pm by Philosophical Gamer »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2008, 01:09:22 pm »

I personally wouldn't say the undead have any of those traits, at least if they're traditionally represented.

Sure, they have "willpower" - in the same sense as my toaster does. After all, my toaster doesn't chicken out when I put a fork in it and tell it to start heating up. Roombas are also pretty good about not taking breaks.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2008, 04:54:22 pm »

Rationality
Focus
Willpower
Creativity
Intuition
Patience
Memory

Let's see...I think that a Zombie doesn't has memory, creativity, rationality, patience & intuition from that list. Focus & willpower, yeah maybe...but only minimal.
However maybe the Zombie was a bad example Neon. Take a vampyre for example: They should have memory, creativity, rationality, focus, willpower and intuition also. Patience..I don't think so.  :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2008, 05:24:49 pm »

The problem is Tormy is the difference between No and Little.

A Zombie at least has some rationality... It may not be very complex.
A Zombie could have some memory... It may be able to remember that you ducked behind a corridor and come after you regardless.
Blaw blaw blaw (you know where it is going)

Yes we know fully intelligent undead are great examples as well as the more animalistic undead.

However Zombies or the mindless undead are the only case that really needs an arguement.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2008, 05:42:33 pm »

Yep, that was my point. Some undeads like a zombie or animated entities like skeletons should be on the "bottom of the list", in fact even specific creatures should be different a tiny bit. [IE. randomized within realistic limits]

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2008, 07:59:08 pm »

Idea: make it so that the nature of souls and if undead/ demons/ animals/ goblins have them or not up to proceedurally generated religions that violently disagree with eachother. Then impliment reanimation without specifying if anything has a soul or not.

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2008, 09:03:05 am »

Grek raises an interesting point: perhaps all these ideas could be valid, or extapolated from the fact that undead DO walk around.  This whole discussion could take place inside the game, within the game world, in theory, which would divorce the artificle aspects of game playing (the idea that a soul can be scored on a particular scale) with the presently fairly whole story experiance that is being built up.  So then the discussion becomes one of mechanics, which is much easier to deal with because it has no affect on the internal aspects of the game.
So yes, all undead do have souls.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7