Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I love elves  (Read 1808 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I love elves
« on: October 18, 2008, 07:55:27 am »

Grissly Bear Cage, Giant Leopard Cage, Giant Cheetah Cage.

I usually wait until I have 2 of each (;)) then start breeding them. Then I mod them to be trainable, and before you know it you have goblins getting their head ripped off by war giant cheetahs.

I love this game
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I love elves
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 08:37:19 am »

My elves just taunt me with dead animals and jewel encrusted wooden cages

Query, what happens when the elven merchants go melancholic? The berserk ones died but the whiners probably don't need to eat or drink. Do I need to use a ballista? One of the oxen refuses to go crazy for some reason too
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 08:40:09 am by Pilsu »

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 09:51:44 am »

Should've made the entire floor of the tunnel leading to your trade depot a pit trap mate. Retractable bridge, BOOM, Elves scream seven Z-levels down, broken legs all around, and theeen you open the flood gates, and a few hundred tons of water that don't have no affinity for elves aside from getting inside their lungs rushes on in.

Urist McPhilosopher Say: Elf with broken legs swim briefly.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 09:19:02 pm »

Grrrr. . . Elves . . .

Those guys are total jerks.  Always complaining about the bloodstains on our +narrow iron masks+.  So?  It's not our fault some guy cut his finger while carrying away an -iron scimitar-!

And what do they bring me?  Nothing.  a few useless trinkets, maybe, and a caged roach, but what good that do!?

What?  Elves?  Oh yes, a fine bunch of fellows.  Bring us lots of rope reed goods and clothing.  We dwarves just love baggy clothing!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 09:21:22 pm »

They finally got the message that I don't want to buy their cloth, but now they only bring me wood and berries.  I want some cool animals.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:22:32 pm »

i love elves....they dont fight back.....at first then it gets more fun making them fight goblins in your arena :D
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 09:29:01 pm »

iit gets more fun making them fight goblins in your arena :D

You, sir, are a genious.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 01:55:17 am »

Interesting, now they've just brought me a barrel of 'sunshine'.

That sounds so... cool.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

Interesting, now they've just brought me a barrel of 'sunshine'.

That sounds so... cool.

That's the most valuable wine in the game.  It's made from sun berries, which are only found in good areas, so if you're not in a good area you have to get them from the freakin' idiots Elves.
Just so I remember

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 09:01:37 am »

how about you train the giant monster animals, and instead of feeding them goblins, feed them the very elves that brought them to you.
A stroke of evil genius, I think.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 10:41:05 am »

Let them all starve and donate their bodies to the 'Bones for Bolts' program.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 10:48:45 am »

Mainly with thanks to elves, my fortress now has 2035 tame animals. This consists of the following:

Black bears, bonobos, bulls, cats, cheetahs, chimpanzees, cougars, cows, deer, dogs, donkeys, dragons, elephants, foxes, gazelles, grizzly bears, groundhogs, hippos, hoary marmots, horses, hydras, jaguars, leopards, lions, mountain goats, mules, one-humped camels, raccoons, rhesus macaques, tigers, two-humped camels, warthogs and wolves.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 10:51:52 am »

Tip on getting them to bring lots of exotic beasts:

Elves bring you whatever you buy the most of. So, on their first visit, if you buy a single Giant Eagle cage, and a bin containing 20 wads of cloth, they'll think, "Hey, they bought all that cloth, but only one pigeon. They must like cloth a lot more than pigeon." Next time the traders come, they'll have a lot more cloth, but fewer or no animals.

Best way to maximize your animal imports is to never buy anything in bulk, and buy very little of any other inanimate objects.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 10:54:27 am »

Tip on getting them to bring lots of exotic beasts:

Elves bring you whatever you buy the most of. So, on their first visit, if you buy a single Giant Eagle cage, and a bin containing 20 wads of cloth, they'll think, "Hey, they bought all that cloth, but only one pigeon. They must like cloth a lot more than pigeon." Next time the traders come, they'll have a lot more cloth, but fewer or no animals.

Best way to maximize your animal imports is to never buy anything in bulk, and buy very little of any other inanimate objects.

Does that work for seizing the goods too :D, they just wont go to war damnit!!! ive taken everything they had 3 times..... they like brining me cloth and food from the world of light
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 12:57:11 pm »

Buying cages with vermin makes them think you like cages. Be warned
Pages: [1] 2