Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Clay Pottery  (Read 3956 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Clay Pottery
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 10:41:34 pm »

I think that more important than straight clay is adobe and the like. It'd make above-ground dwellings much easier and faster, especially on maps where there's no other building materials.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 11:31:57 pm »

Adobe would be cool, though I'm not sure how the drying process would work in DF.  Regular bricks, which are fired in a kiln like other clay items, would also be an obvious use for clay and a pretty cool building material.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 09:52:31 am »

I just had a thought.  Sandy clay loam could be used for pottery and glass.

Methink it would be more accurate if it could be used for neither. Good soil to make glass or pottery wasn't exactly common - it should be fairly rare that you embark in a location that can make one. I'm not aware of any examples in real life of a location that had soil appropriate for both. Just as right now you need "sand" not "sandy loam" for glassmaking, you should need "clay" and not "clay loam" for pottery.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 03:36:27 pm »

Why can't it be processed at an extra [time] cost to purify the sand or clay out of it? In real life, it's because it's uneconomical compared to finding already good soil, but it's unrealistic that you can't either import it or search for it outside of an arbitrary square area.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:32 am »

I always did wonder why there was glass development but no ceramics.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 07:26:21 am »

Why can't it be processed at an extra [time] cost to purify the sand or clay out of it? In real life, it's because it's uneconomical compared to finding already good soil, but it's unrealistic that you can't either import it or search for it outside of an arbitrary square area.
Half the players already build massive water projects because they can, so something like washing the clay out of the sand might be a nice bonus. Although I'm not sure how this could be implemented well without having full and complete soil erosion mechanics. Which would be awesome, by the way.

And importing should definitely be an option for both.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 01:01:50 pm »

I wondered too, but then I figured dwarves probably just carve their stoneware out of rough stone. :)

Nevertheless, pottery and bakery have long been two things that I've felt have been obviously missing from DF.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 08:16:58 pm »

Hrm. I've never really wondered, but now that you mention it: until about the nineteenth century you couldn't get really large sheets of glass, so every piece of large glassware in the game should actually require some other, probably metallic, component to keep those much smaller pieces together.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 09:29:08 pm »

In fact, modern flat planes of glass are made by forming them on rivers of molten metal. A metal with a lower melting point than glass.

Then again, that sounds oh so very dwarven. Making something flat by floating it on a river of liquid metal.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 11:23:22 pm »

Actually, it's a river of glass on an ocean of liquid tin.  The tin just sits there while they continuously pull the cooled flat glass out one end and add more liquid glass to the other.  It's one loooooong sheet (longer than longcat) and they cut it into sections every 30 feet or so (and the sheet is probably 10 feet wide).  Numbers taken from an approximation based on the show How It's Made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Float_glass

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 10:50:11 pm »

I wondered too, but then I figured dwarves probably just carve their stoneware out of rough stone. :)

Nevertheless, pottery and bakery have long been two things that I've felt have been obviously missing from DF.

Bakery could be fixed by simple alterations of nomenclature. Wonder if I should start a thread for that....
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: 1 [2]