Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow learner tag works on dwarves  (Read 1343 times)

JBWilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slow learner tag works on dwarves
« on: October 18, 2008, 01:27:45 am »

I couldn't find any evidence that anyone had tried this, so here you go:

In a new and unmodded world (version 40d) I embarked with 7 peasants to a random hillside location and assigned three of them to dig different tunnels (to my knowledge rock type doesn't affect the experience gain from mining, but I figured it was an easy way to be sure).

All three gained Novice Miner after digging out 50 tiles of rock each.

I reverted to a backup copy of the world, and added the [SLOW_LEARNER] tag to the dwarven entry in creature_standard.txt (I don't know if it matters, but I added it directly below the [INTELLIGENT] tag).

I embarked to the same location with 7 new peasants, and assigned them to dig straight tunnels in the same places as before.  This time they couldn't finish before taking a booze break; I made sure they returned to the same tunnels they started.

Each gained Novice Miner after 84 tiles of digging.

50*1.67 = 83.50

I didn't have time to test this further, so I suppose it's possible that there is a sliding scale or something.  I hope so, as a 67% increase in experience required to gain a skill level will still create invincible champions far too quickly.  Still, assuming all jobs are equally affected, then those of us who feel that it is too easy to create an ultra-powerful military will be able to lessen the problem somewhat.

I don't have time to play much right now, so I'd like to hear from anyone who tries this out whether strange moods will no longer give enough experience to create legendary dwarves.

Also, I'd love it if someone managed to hack this to create a *3 or *4 or *5 multiplier, but I'm afraid that goes far beyond my skills.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Slow learner tag works on dwarves
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 11:07:09 am »

I noticed this happened as well, I made giants a playable race (they have slow_learner) and they gained skills far slower than usual. So it is definitely a good thing to consider putting on dwarves if people think they learn too slowly.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:45:46 am »

I noticed this happened as well, I made giants a playable race (they have slow_learner) and they gained skills far slower than usual. So it is definitely a good thing to consider putting on dwarves if people think they learn too slowly.

*quickly
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 12:54:57 pm »

Fascinating!
I must put this on all my creatures now.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:54:04 pm »

Seems like a good suggestion to broaden up the tag a bit

JBWilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 03:52:05 pm »

So I finally had time to play for long enough to get a fey mood.  My proficient armorsmith became a master upon completion of the artifact.

I was hoping this would happen.  It's a nice big jump, particularly for a profession like that one, but still requires a fair bit of work to get to legendary.

In addition to the slow learning, I added [SPEED:1100] to the dwarven entry in creature_standard.txt to slow things down a bit further.  In general, I'm happy with how things are going.  The first year was as challenging as I've seen since the first time I played the 2-d version.  I had to prioritize my dwarves' actions much more than I usually do, and when the first caravan arrived I had to choose carefully which items I needed more (I'm used to just buying them out).

The real test will be combat; I'll post my findings once the goblins pick a fight.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:09:02 pm »

This sounds intriguing, for certain. Continue your noble experiment.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 06:34:12 pm »

My dwarves can barely manage the concept of the danger posed by the dragon that just entered the map and incinerated half my population, I don't think I could handle them any more dense.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 07:22:09 pm »

My dwarves can barely manage the concept of the danger posed by the dragon that just entered the map and incinerated half my population, I don't think I could handle them any more dense.

If I understand correctly it only affects skill gains - while it's meant as a handicap for large creatures like trolls and ogres (whose core stats make them dangerous enough), applied to dwarves it just slows down EXP gain and increases the challenge.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!