Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Easier ways to drink beer.  (Read 8090 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Easier ways to drink beer.
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2008, 01:02:53 pm »

Real dwarves drink benzene.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2008, 01:28:29 pm »

my vote:
a new design for the brewery: dwarves build giant barrels around it(or in it) for the storage of large amounts of booze,

but wait, how much booze justifies it?

why of course the barrels would require 140 booze to fill, require 2 giant barrel pieces each, as well as a tap, if you wish to use it.

dwarves could drink straight from the tap, or fill kegs from it.

>>>Additionally
if broken, the barrel may flood nearby dwarves with booze
while it may be their fantasy, most likely they eventually think unhappy thoughts based on how good the beer is. (quantity, quality, and variety increase the effect)

masterpiece barrels age good wine finely, low quality may spoil beer.
New building: Beer silo. Or just make the extremely huge things called barrels ad the smaller, portable ones be called kegs. Problem solved.

Also, having some beer spilt on a dwarf should give it a neutral thought.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2008, 01:32:04 pm »

But beer rivers and beer aquifers and beer waterfalls are what make a true Dwarf Fortress shine.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2008, 01:54:17 pm »

my vote:
a new design for the brewery: dwarves build giant barrels around it(or in it) for the storage of large amounts of booze,

but wait, how much booze justifies it?

why of course the barrels would require 140 booze to fill, require 2 giant barrel pieces each, as well as a tap, if you wish to use it.

dwarves could drink straight from the tap, or fill kegs from it.

>>>Additionally
if broken, the barrel may flood nearby dwarves with booze
while it may be their fantasy, most likely they eventually think unhappy thoughts based on how good the beer is. (quantity, quality, and variety increase the effect)

masterpiece barrels age good wine finely, low quality may spoil beer.
New building: Beer silo. Or just make the extremely huge things called barrels ad the smaller, portable ones be called kegs. Problem solved.

A keg is traditionally half a barrel, so simply have it be half the size, half the weight, and can be stacked 2up in stockpiles. You could also have large mugs for drinking out of (say, 1 gallon - liquid amounts currently aren't granular enough to support 1 gallon though, a unit is about 5 gallons)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2008, 01:57:34 pm »

A keg is traditionally half a barrel, so simply have it be half the size, half the weight, and can be stacked 2up in stockpiles. You could also have large mugs for drinking out of (say, 1 gallon - liquid amounts currently aren't granular enough to support 1 gallon though, a unit is about 5 gallons)

...that doesn't solve the problem at all!

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2008, 02:07:44 pm »

Also - a barrel is traditionally smaller than a person (or dwarf) - if you really want larger things (maybe they wouldn't be _larger_ than one tile, per se, but they'd be unwalkable and permanently installed) there are plenty of traditional names like hogshead, butt, pipe, tun (Fun fact - "tun" is the origin of the term "ton", originally referring to the weight of a tun cask full of wine. Yeah.)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2008, 02:09:56 pm »

Ooh, finally to make the game appeal to Pastafarians, we need a realm with a stripper factory and beer volcanoes.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2008, 04:56:45 am »

We need hogsheads.
Tuns would be even better.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2008, 12:28:44 pm »

Wrong again.  Glycerol is a sweetener, not an explosive.

I know that.  But "nitro glycerol" is close-sounding to "nitro glycerine."

Actualy, Tri-nitroglycerine is made by nitrifying glycerol (usualy through a reaction between glycerol and nitric acid, using sulfuric acid as a cataclyst), so you weren't far off ;)

Anyhow, I think that most problems with mixing alcohols can be fixed by using weighted averages to determine the properties of the mixture. Maybe there should also be a quality penalty for mixing beer types and maybe even batches.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2008, 01:11:05 pm »

Maybe there should also be a quality penalty for mixing beer types and maybe even batches.

Well we're already making entire barrels of booze from a handful of berries grown in one farm plot each. I think realism can be sacrificed

If something, booze would need a fermenting time. That's the first thing that needs to be looked into. Would make alcohol production considerably harder though, especially once we start needing water

Why can mushrooms be brewed anyway? That's just strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2008, 03:17:06 pm »

Actualy, Tri-nitroglycerine is made by nitrifying glycerol (usualy through a reaction between glycerol and nitric acid, using sulfuric acid as a cataclyst), so you weren't far off ;)

Anyhow, I think that most problems with mixing alcohols can be fixed by using weighted averages to determine the properties of the mixture. Maybe there should also be a quality penalty for mixing beer types and maybe even batches.
And Tri-nitroglycerine sounds like Tri-nitro-tolurene!
We have dwarven TNT!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2008, 01:22:18 am »

You know, you can perform a similar nitrating reaction on a lot of organics, including the starches in cotton. Hence; gun-cotton!  ;D

If I can figure a way to gank that 40 gallon container of conc. nitric from the chem labs, keep an eye out for reports of explosions in Perth, Australia.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2008, 01:23:57 am »

Trying his darnedest to derail this thread.

Success!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2008, 03:06:44 am »

Glycerol and glycerine ARE the same thing, and yeah, you can make nitroglycerine from it.

Glycerol/glycerine is also useful as a skin moisturizer/conditioner; it's used in lotions and a lot of soap.

There are probably some other uses as well, but I forget what they are.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2008, 09:54:38 am »

Why not we just make dwarves take less time to drink? :P
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6