Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Artifacts - An Expansion  (Read 1753 times)

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
Re: Artifacts - An Expansion
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 01:00:59 am »

How about some magical artifacts might end up sentient? Would they improve by getting skills on top of normal artifact improvement?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 01:55:59 pm »

sure, they may end up getting souls at some point...

Edit : ESPECIALLY for fell moods!  (or by elf-not-friendly animal spirit binding)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 02:03:12 pm »

Heck especially for the Negative Moods!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 07:08:19 pm »

Artifacts should only get bonuses for killing things which are named animals or have at least 'Great' in one or more skills. otherwise the sword of your champion would have insane power levels. perhaps too insane.

also, buildable artifacts are not useless to individuals. just read nist akath.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 08:46:35 pm »

Artifacts created by negative moods could be "cursed" in some form or another. Maybe an artifact weapon could slowly turn the soul (see recent dev notes) of it's wielder more eviler.

Dwarf bone Soul Edge, anyone?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 09:54:58 pm »

Artifacts created by negative moods could be "cursed" in some form or another. Maybe an artifact weapon could slowly turn the soul (see recent dev notes) of it's wielder more eviler.

Dwarf bone Soul Edge, anyone?

I like. It would also be cool if a priest from a good religion would give you a quest to destroy it. Although, once you got it, you could just use it... maybe gaining a demonic appearance and being shunned by good civs?
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 10:09:53 pm »

They don't have to be evil or cursed but the way they were created should somehow be able to be found out without it exactly telling you. (Which is probably by being evil or cursed... but Id like some other things being in there too)

For example in a Macrabre mood... Perhaps the artifact could be haunted by whoever was used for the artifact or it shares that person's personality or only be able to be wielded by those who shared his name. Many ways it could be done without making it downright malicious

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 05:00:09 am »

Maybe add additional uses to otherwise very useless artifacts? So I can hang my Legendary Native Silver Millstone Menacing with Spikes of Pig Iron around the makers' neck and drop him in the nearest lake?

Legend-buildup per item is brilliant, a nice add to the story-telling, and it adds a lot more engraving-topics.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 05:53:22 am »

The way artifacts are made could also use some variation. Instead of staying in just one workshop, the dwarf could go to the relevant workshops to add additional materials; or the process could include a dip in lava or a river/well, a visit to a local mountain top or graveyard to consult the spirits, etc.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Joutilas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 04:55:05 pm »

Actually I could very well see dwarves having legends on useless items, like floodgates. It's hu-manly to be obsessed with magic swords that slay dragons.

In 232, Badnails the Obsidian Floodgate created by master mason Gimp McDwarfly.
In 234, Badnails the Obsidian Floodgate was installed in the lower hallways of forbidding smells.
In 237, Badnails the Obsidian Floodgate inspired Urist McDorf to create the poem “Sloth of Plump Helmets”
In 239, Badnails the Obsidian Floodgate crushed Gimli McDwarfing, town drunk, to death.
In 240, Badnails the Obsidian Floodgate was covered in Gobbo Goblinus vile blood during “The Vile Attack”
In 248, Badnails the Obsidian Floodgate started talking to Urist McCrazy.
In 248, Badnails the Obsidian Floodgate defaced by Urist McCrazy.
In 248, loss of Badnails the Obsidian Floodgate caused the abandonment of fortress Roughrocks.
Pages: 1 [2]