Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artifacts - An Expansion  (Read 1752 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifacts - An Expansion
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:17:39 pm »

This proposal seeks to flesh out ideas about Artifacts.

Firstly: In custom stockpile, there should be an option to create artifact stockpiles. Otherwise artifacts will not be placed anywhere else. (You shall see why).

Artifacts, being so rare and all, should have their history mapped out, and as time passes, their value should increase, and the history behind them as well.

For this proposal, I shall partition artifacts into 3 different types (the names are arbitrary), depending on their value to an individual.

Useless

These artifacts are 'useless' to an individual, because they are either too bulky to carry around, or they serve no real use. An example would be a floodgate, a barrel or whatever.

Decorative

These artifacts can be used to decorate an individual. They don't serve a PRACTICAL use, but theyre nice to have. Crowns, Instruments, earrings et cetera fall under this category.

Useful

These are artifacts that can see practical use. Weapons and tools fall under this category.

--

Once an artifact is created, the maker automatically takes it to the nearest artifact stockpile, or drops it down, even if there is a stockpile for that item. (So you don't take an artifact cabinet to a furnature stockpile). While in the stockpile, it IS CONSIDERED FORBIDDEN.

Now, the player gets to decide what to do with the artifact, from the artifacts menu (l). If its a 'useless' one, he may decide (using an option) to let it be used as normal. So a barrel would be dragged to the food stockpile and filled with stuff.

Otherwise, he may decide to GIVE it to a particular dwarf, who will use the item if its a useful one, or else wear it if its a decorative one. So if someone just made an artifact sword, you can give it to your champion swordsdwarf.

Now, the value of the item may increase if it is used by a famous (legendary or a noble) dwarf. If it is a USEFUL item, the increase is much greater. If it is useful, it may also be linked to certain events, that will further increase its value. (The legendary sword which clove the goblin king's head).

The value isn't just trading value, but also how much other people desire it. You may have a war on your hands with a particular band of goblins who just want that artifact.

The artifact will also have a history tied to it, which will list all that happened to it since its creation.

The artifact (or others) may also turn up in adventure mode. If this is the case, a high value artifact would be the sort of thing a King would send you to fetch.

In short, you can have a lot of interesting things happening due to the artifact. Like another king wishing the nice sword your own adventurer has, and sending people to take it from you...

Discuss.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
Re: Artifacts - An Expansion
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 12:33:15 pm »

That's a really good idea. You should also be able to bury the artifact with the corpse of the dwarf that uses it. So the sword "Elfcleaver the Wonderous" ends up buried with Urist McChampion when he dies, in his trap filled tomb. Oh, and have it added to the history of the artifact.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 12:58:11 pm »

How about the ability to assign any pet to be an artifact or tomb guardian when you do that?  Even better if the guardians stay around after fortress abandoning.  So if you want to use "Elfcleaver the Wonderous" after Urist McChampion dies wielding it, you'll have to fight his loyal pet dragon for it.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 01:02:41 pm »

How about the ability to assign any pet to be an artifact or tomb guardian when you do that?  Even better if the guardians stay around after fortress abandoning.  So if you want to use "Elfcleaver the Wonderous" after Urist McChampion dies wielding it, you'll have to fight his loyal pet dragon for it.

That would be interesting ;)

Hmm, expanding on that idea... how about... TREASURE CHESTS ;)

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:24:33 pm »

This is a great idea. I can definitely see this coming into practice in the near future. It would work so well with the Legends screen too.

"Whipdeath the Cave-Skull of Fruit was an Artifact Sword, created by Dodok McDwarf in the Early Summer of 572. It is made of Iron. It is encircled with bands of Pink Tourmaline and Ruby. It has an image of a Dwarf and a Goblin in Goblin Bone. The Dwarf is striking down the Goblin. It was made at Paperhill, a Dwarven Fortress.

In 572, Whipdeath the Cave-Skull of Fruit was given to the Swordsdwarf Regath McDwarf.

In 574, Whipdeath the Cave-Skull of Fruit was used by Regath McDwarf to kill Lancetrusted, the Elephant.

In 577, Whipdeath the Cave-Skull of Fruit was stolen from Regath McDwarf by Bob McGoblin the Goblin Bowman in the Siege of Fruit.

In 589, Whipdeath the Cave-Skull of Fruit was reclaimed by Urist McDwarf in the War of Filth, which was started by The Faced Legion.

In 590, Whipdeath the Cave-Skull of Fruit was left behind in memory, alleged to exist in the abandoned fort of Paperhill.

In 678, Whipdeath the Cave-Skull of Fruit was found by the human adventurer, Billy McHumie.

In 678, Whipdeath the Cave-Skull of Fruit was sold by Billy McHumie to the Dwarven Group, The Faced Legion to end a war between the Humans of Gates and The Faced Legion."

That's how it would look I think, once the army arc was done of course. :D

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 02:04:07 pm »

I think your catagories are a little skewed.  In my mind, there are four.  Buildables (anything that can be used to add to room value) , Wearable (crowns and earings), Totally useless (toys and instruments) and Useful (armour, tools and weapons.)

As for the artifact legends, read this.  It covers a lot of what you're talking about.

I PARTICULAR approve of the 'item improves with time' suggestion.  Maybe have artifacts (and masterworks!) increase in innate value due to both age and the number of legends they have associated with them.

For a neat perspective on this, the old school Legend of the Five Rings game had magic items that were entirely based on being old and having legends associated with them.  That means that the artifact sword would actually get BETTER with every dragon it killed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 02:15:28 pm »

My main problem with this suggestion is this whole "Useless artifact" section and partially the

Especially since most major artifacts in real legends arn't weapons or tools

-Excalibur was considered infurior to its scabbard
-The Holy Grail could cure any disease
--While we are on the topic of Catholic artifacts... the only weapon artifact is the Spear of Longinus to my knowledge
-Son Goku gained godly powers by drinking Jade Juice (or something) and golden Peaches.

Ive even made topics, VERY burried at this point, listing tons of effects that Mugs, Barrels, floodgates, and mechanisms could do.

Then you also add decorative.

This suggestion to me, doesn't reflect upon artifacts possible later usefulness as a whole beyond being expensive. If a Barrel for example had the ability to always be filled with water Id think it would be a horrible waste to be in the "Useless" section and thus it turns this into a "Remove later" suggestion.

So I think the initial post should be rewritten to reflect the Artifact arc

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 02:23:25 pm »

Well, if they have MAGIC abilities, that's different. I was just assuming an artifact was a work of art. Nothing more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 02:27:04 pm »

Well, if they have MAGIC abilities, that's different. I was just assuming an artifact was a work of art. Nothing more.

Right now currently in the game, yes it is. There is no point to artifacts outside of weapons, armor, and furnature because of its higher multipliers.

In the future however it is going to be an entirely different story as the Artifact Arc and several Powergoals highlight.

plstcflsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 02:31:47 pm »

useless artifacts could have a use on a social level, and thus towards morale, etc. especially art /artifacts and musical instruments. musical instruments can create happy/unhappy thoughts according to the skill of peeps using them. peeps w no jobs will use instruments, to apear as 'no job / playing lute.'

this is in regard to the chat engine idea i am endorsing. heheh. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26308.0

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 02:37:44 pm »

Dude, can you stop spamming threads randomly to get people to read yours?

plstcflsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 02:43:52 pm »

ok i'll stop. but i wasnt being random, i was responding to similar topics.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 02:59:33 pm »

I think artifacts bearing magic is definitely the way to go.  However, the magic starts off relatively weak.  The way I think of it is like this:

Dwarves, when taken by Armok's Passion set out to create something wonderous.  As they try to complete this work, their soul is the fuel and spark that endows their creations with a living  will.  To fail is to die, because the work was never realized, and so the spirit is tainted.  Going by this logic, an successfully created artifact possesses power, reflecting the creator and both will grow stronger for it.

In effect, by being something alive, an artifact would be able to grow and change as time and usage is associated with it.  So, a weak Artifact Cabinet of Sorting would be able to at first just be an neat looking cabinet where items are sorted easier.  Then a powerful warrior owns it for some time, and eventually the cabinet becomes able to 'switch' the dwarf out of civilian clothing into armor instantly.   While quite an odd power to have, it is nontheless useful.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 03:09:21 pm »

I love your interpretation of that...

I wonder how you'd interprete ...

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Strange_mood#Fell

That ;)

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 03:12:40 pm »

Two souls for the price of one, with a single deposit!  Step right up, everyone...powerful artifacti for all but one, who is one!
Pages: [1] 2