Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dynamite - concrete suggestion  (Read 1647 times)

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dynamite - concrete suggestion
« on: October 17, 2008, 03:31:41 am »

Small suggestion for a dynamite object and its uses (seems that the last concrete suggestion for dynamite was in 2006 - still 2d, and only had one reply).

- Probably created from the Alchemist workshop - may - I'll leave the specific materials needed for it to be created. Could use "soap maiking" for the lack of a better skill. Materials needed should be tweaked for balance, but probably saltpeper, coal, and something else (animal extracts?) - preferably things that can't be found in every map, and would have to be imported.

- Dynamite could be "built" in a place, then it could be linked to a lever or pressure plate. When the lever/pressure plate activated, the dynamite would go off.

- When detonating, Dynamite would dig off (mine off) squares adjacent to it in the 6 directions (including their respective up floors, if just below the surface) - Destroy objects/buildings in these squares - cause damage to creatures in these squares. Exact ammount of damage to creatures and objects subject to game balance issues.

- Dynamite (built/unbuilt) would also go off under high temperatures/fire/lava or dynamite/booze explosions.

----

I think the main use I'm aiming for with this suggestion is the use of dynamite as a digging tool - It would be really useful to be able to set off a row of dynamite under a river, linked to a underwater cistern, and have a dwarf pull a lever to blow it out and divert the river.

Chances to screw things up by miscalculating the effect of the dynamite and causing massive flooding/cave-ins also make me smile. The possibilities for elaborate traps are also endless.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamite - concrete suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:08:13 am »

Dynamite is quite a bit of a jump in technology then Gunpowder is...

I personally think that if we have bombs of anysort they should be Gunpowder, Oil, or Alcohol bombs

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 07:42:41 am »

Dynamite? No, I don't like to see anything like that in DF.
However, -since we will have alchemy in the game-  skilled alchemists should be able to create some exploding "fluids".  :)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 11:39:38 am »

I'd also suggest going with black powder, but leaving open the option of using it in more than one way. Take 25 units of gunpowder and an empty barrel and you have a blasting charge; take one unit of gunpowder, one stack of *Iron Musket Balls* and one unit of paper when the Adams brothers get around to implementing it and you have ammunition.
Speaking of which, I'm going to do a little reading on the subject of early firearms and put together a dedicated post in this thread over the weekend. Watch this space.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:13:10 pm »

While in general I'm a fan of dynamite, I have to say that it's probably not reasonable for this setting.  Crude gunpowder 'blasting charges' or some such is one thing, but dynamite is relatively recent.  Making nitroglycerin seems a bit beyond DF chemistry and industry.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 01:17:12 pm »

I'd also suggest going with black powder, but leaving open the option of using it in more than one way. Take 25 units of gunpowder and an empty barrel and you have a blasting charge; take one unit of gunpowder, one stack of *Iron Musket Balls* and one unit of paper when the Adams brothers get around to implementing it and you have ammunition.
Speaking of which, I'm going to do a little reading on the subject of early firearms and put together a dedicated post in this thread over the weekend. Watch this space.
Ok, ignoring the claptrap about people liking 'their' vision of DF the way it is, the major, #1 limiting factor is the lack of an explosion mechanic.

Once we get that, modding in black powder, gunpowder, fuel-air bombs, molotov cocktails, and fireball wands are really just questions of scale, damage, and text in the raws

Also, Jake, before you do a ton of research, look up gunpowder and black powder in the archives here.  It comes up a LOT.  Dynamite is just a different term that isn't used as much because unlike gunpowder (9th century), dynamite was invented in 1866 and thus after the DF standard cutoff of 1400's

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 07:12:10 am »

*roll*

It can be named whatever you guys like - It is not like in 1400 we had freezers either (which are what the food stockpiles actually are, since food will not rot in them).

What I'm actually suggesting is just an item that can be set up for remote mining.  If you have a problem with it being called dynamite, you could make it "magical catsplosive device", and even require kitten fat as one of the components. The suggestion is something else, and more related to game mechanics than flavor.

As for the explosion mechanic not existing in the game - I wonder if using the same function which is used for digging, followed by some arbitrary damaging function on all the objects in the dug tiles wouldn't make it work under the existing engine.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:47:08 am »

And then we can have dwarven Nobel Foundation!

But yeah, once we get moddable explosion mechanics, it will probably be possible to change the numbers to make a tactical nuke.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 11:58:12 am »

*roll*

It can be named whatever you guys like - It is not like in 1400 we had freezers either (which are what the food stockpiles actually are, since food will not rot in them).

Gameplay element not to be confused with technology.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 01:12:28 pm »

Especially as there are other ways to preserve food such as salt, pickling in vinegar, etc.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 09:58:52 pm »

Yes, but salted and pickled food still doesn't rot if it isn't put away.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 10:28:19 pm »

This somehow reminds me: I was watching some program relating to the ancient Egyptians, and it said that they heated rocks and cooled them with water suddenly to crack them apart. It could be neat to fit that mechanic into DF somehow... perhaps whenever fire is developed further. Another use for buckets, at least.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.