Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Corpses Wash Up On Shore  (Read 3272 times)

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corpses Wash Up On Shore
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 10:04:19 pm »

So, rotten corpses should float, but not fresh ones or decayed bone?

Might also give time for their gear to loosen, if still a bit of a stretch.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 07:53:28 am »

Would need Scavengers to clean up the dead bodies though, imagine a whol oceans worth of Golden Whateverfish being swept ashore. That would be very annoying
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 08:30:16 am »

Must be annoying for the dwarf Mafia when the dwarf drowns and drop his concrete shoes and floats to the surface.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 10:17:20 am »

Must be annoying for the dwarf Mafia when the dwarf drowns and drop his concrete shoes and floats to the surface.
You obviously haven't watched Eastern Promises. It is all about the corpse processing, the waves will do the rest.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 11:30:43 am »

You obviously haven't watched Eastern Promises. It is all about the corpse processing, the waves will do the rest.

Sorry for going OT, but that was a very good movie.  :D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 02:35:05 pm »

Nop, all creatures are dropping all of their stuff upon death. Don't ask me why.  :)

Which is why corpses should act as containers in which all worn items are placed upon death.  Then you'd get heavily-laden corpses sinking, and others floating.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 08:20:41 pm »

Nop, all creatures are dropping all of their stuff upon death. Don't ask me why.  :)

Which is why corpses should act as containers in which all worn items are placed upon death.  Then you'd get heavily-laden corpses sinking, and others floating.

Agreed tremendously.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 08:30:48 pm »

Agreed tremendously.

The reason the bodies drop all their crap on death is because keeping the items on the body is difficult to code.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 08:39:24 pm »

The reason the bodies drop all their crap on death is because keeping the items on the body is difficult to code.

How so?  All I'm proposing is that they act just like any other container like bins or bags.

Making corpses act as containers would also allow dwarves to intelligently carry back whole corpses BEFORE stripping them, making battlefield salvage much more efficient.  Chopped-off limbs and body parts could act as containers for items attached to them, so helmets would stay attached to chopped-off heads, etc.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2008, 09:43:06 pm »

so basically, make things that die do the same that those Colossi do when they turn into statues after death, only instead they turn into a bin containing all the items they had (except the bin is a corpse).

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 02:39:32 am »

so basically, make things that die do the same that those Colossi do when they turn into statues after death, only instead they turn into a bin containing all the items they had (except the bin is a corpse).

Effectively, yes. This would be immensely useful with the Army Arc coming up, what with the increase in violence... is this in Eternal Suggestion voting?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 09:26:46 am »

This is a very good suggestion chief.  :)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 03:15:53 pm »

I support the corpse/body parts as container idea, fully and completely!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 03:44:52 pm »

Okay, since people liked it I went ahead and added it to Eternal Suggestions.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/eternal_voting.php#vote23

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 04:17:24 pm »

Its like dropping your bowls. or maybe the take it all off before succumbing.

THERE IS A BOLT THROUGH MY BRAIN, CLEARLY I SHOULD TAKE OFF ALL MY CLOTHES AND LIE DOWN.

I believe it takes around 48 hours for a human corpse to float to the surface due to gases forming from decomposition as stated before. Thats what concrete shoes were for :D

No, I'm fairly sure concrete shoes were for drowning the person.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:20:29 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 [2] 3