Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ...Is that it?  (Read 3674 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: ...Is that it?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 09:39:43 am »

I modded my megabeasts to be on average size 300, with 80 damblock and 6:12 base damage on their attacks. Mostly it was to help them live through world-gen. I haven't had a fort long enough to face one of these mega-megabeasts though, so I have no idea how suicidally difficult I made them.

I can guarantee you that that will take out any fort. Nothing can challenge something with that big a size difference and live, unless its worldgen.
Hence why I have files for playing and files for Worldgen in my Legendary Lands mod.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2008, 11:41:06 am »

This is why I like modding :]

Some people are more prepared than most, you sound pretty prepared - and just learned how megabeasts have such a problem in world gen.

Well, my mediocre speardwarf has killed a SIZE:60 modded dragon [it also had better damblock compared to the vanilla dragons] alone, without taking any injuries. Now my dragons has SIZE:200, but I haven't seen it in action yet, so I'm not sure that how strong these new dragons are actually. I suppose some lucky hits can still kill them easily, since basically the combat system itself is very basic right now. The combat arc will make things much more interesting.

Courtesy of LumenPlacidum: The Uberdragon - with some touchups by me for the Samurai mod. Thanks to LumenPlacidum - dragons now have proper body armor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Holw cow!! Thanks, I'm gonna try out this baby.  :D

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 11:55:28 am »

Still doesn't survive worldgen most of the time. Or at least not mine. I had to triple its size to get a somewhat reliable survival rate. Now one or two will last about 4000 years, but I want a 10000 year worldgen here instead of 3000.

I'm actually a bit afraid of making them any bigger and eventually having to deal with one.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 11:57:12 am »

Still doesn't survive worldgen most of the time. Or at least not mine. I had to triple its size to get a somewhat reliable survival rate. Now one or two will last about 4000 years, but I want a 10000 year worldgen here instead of 3000.

I'm actually a bit afraid of making them any bigger and eventually having to deal with one.

Ouch.  :-X
Have you seen these modded dragons in action after they've survived the worldgen? They have lot of bodyparts, so it shouldn't be easy to kill them I guess.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 12:46:42 pm »

Have you seen these modded dragons in action after they've survived the worldgen? They have lot of bodyparts, so it shouldn't be easy to kill them I guess.

I have not actually seen one in action yet. But when they have an average lifespan of 3000 years, and end up with at least 1200 kills, I'm not sure I want to. In one extrordinary case, I had one go for 4000 years and somehow get around 5000 something kills...

These are some badass dragons if you pump up the size. Normal size, I never saw one get to 1000 years old. But these ancient ones I'm playing with now... I have a feeling they are world killers.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 01:50:21 pm »

Well those dragons are probably real to the true dragons....cuz a real dragon cant get strangled by a cheese maker

Bonus points if you find that reference about the cheese maker
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 02:03:57 pm »

I usually forget to build a military.  My first ambush or megabeast tends to be a problem, actually.

Dragons I enjoy for their tendency to set everything on fire.  If they get a chance to breathe, the surface world becomes unlivable until the fire burns itself out.

Fire imps too. It's always fun when your army of war dogs gets fried because a fire imp through a fireball at a donkey.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 03:23:20 pm »

Giant flying steel dragons.
Don't try it.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 03:49:47 pm »

I have not actually seen one in action yet. But when they have an average lifespan of 3000 years, and end up with at least 1200 kills, I'm not sure I want to. In one extrordinary case, I had one go for 4000 years and somehow get around 5000 something kills...

These are some badass dragons if you pump up the size. Normal size, I never saw one get to 1000 years old. But these ancient ones I'm playing with now... I have a feeling they are world killers.

Yep, that is what I'm gonna do also. I will use that modded dragon, but I will change their size to 100. I am pretty sure that a single dwarf won't solo these, or at least I hope so.  :D

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 05:20:36 pm »

Well those dragons are probably real to the true dragons....cuz a real dragon cant get strangled by a cheese maker

Bonus points if you find that reference about the cheese maker

I recall the name being Bink...
I also remember something about raisin cheese.
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2008, 05:23:02 pm »

my first megabeast was a dragon. it was promtly obliterated by a goblin seige. my second megabeast was a titan, which i think my champions swarmed. my third was a hydra which also fell to a champion swarm. my fourth was a second titan who killed one of the champion zerg in a single mighty blow.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 
Pages: 1 2 [3]