Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ...Is that it?  (Read 3677 times)

Borgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
...Is that it?
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:41:08 am »

So, I had my first Megabeast attack today on a pretty infantile fortress. 13 military dwarves, all legendary wrestlers and most of them legendary shield users and master armor users/hammerdwarves/marksdwarves.

Here's the 10-second breakdown:

Dragon spawns on map.

Champions swarm him.

He dies.

Nobody on my side suffered even a light grey injury. Is it supposed to be that easy...?

[edit]
Oh, looks like I lied. One of my dwarves bruised his upper right arm...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: ...Is that it?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 01:43:28 am »

This is why I like modding :]

Some people are more prepared than most, you sound pretty prepared - and just learned how megabeasts have such a problem in world gen.

Borgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:01:47 am »

I was hardly prepared, I wasn't expecting a Megabeast in my third year. More interestingly, looks like only six of my Champions decided he was worth fighting, the rest of them continued sparring in the barracks.

Six champions in leather armor and shields killed a dragon. I might've had a few steel items I stole from goblins or traded from other dwarves, but besides that, nothing worth much (even my leather armors were at best +dog leather armor+'s).

I'm so underwhelmed. Sieges are way more fun.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:43:59 am »

I've found dragons to be pushovers.
more than once I've seen a goblin ambush run into one and win.

Titans you just have to swarm and they go down easy.

Hydras have that problem with all those heads and only having to lose one.

Bronze colosai are the only thing I watch out for. last time I took one down 200 dwarves with spears,axes and hammers took ages to bring it down and it killed a few dwarfs and dogs along the way.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 03:56:44 am »

If you ever breach the HFS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On subject of Dragons:  The first one that invaded me ever was a touch wounded.  He was keeling over every second step.  At one point I tried drafting an errant woodcutter so I could get the poor sod to run away properly, which merely made him charge at the dragon and get fried.  If I had left him just running around, he probably would never have gotten hurt.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 05:27:17 am »

I usually forget to build a military.  My first ambush or megabeast tends to be a problem, actually.

Dragons I enjoy for their tendency to set everything on fire.  If they get a chance to breathe, the surface world becomes unlivable until the fire burns itself out.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 10:05:12 am »

Yeah, dragons' fighting leaves a lot to be desired.  It's their firebreath and building destroying that makes the unprepared fort suffer.

The other side is that if you have a dedicated military that trains without distractions, they become really powerful really quickly.  In the challenge thread, you've got a challenge to take down an undead named cyclops within the first year using no ranged weapons, no traps, and no mining, while still building up enough wealth to attract immigrants before winter.

Seven dwarves wearing leather armor, carrying a wooden shield, and two of whom had steel axes.  The two with axes came with proficient axedwarf, and everyone had some level of shield proficiency.  Within two seasons of sparring, four of them were proficient wrestlers, and the other three were legendary champion wrestlers -- all before autumn.  Killed the undead cyclops and three or four undead trolls without being injured, once.

In another map, after capturing a dragon, I restrained it near my entrance in preparation for the next goblin siege.  Before it could even breathe fire on them, goblin bowmen pincushioned it in a number of seconds.  Very disappointing.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 10:14:43 am »

Some people are more prepared than most, you sound pretty prepared - and just learned how megabeasts have such a problem in world gen.

Well, my mediocre speardwarf has killed a SIZE:60 modded dragon [it also had better damblock compared to the vanilla dragons] alone, without taking any injuries. Now my dragons has SIZE:200, but I haven't seen it in action yet, so I'm not sure that how strong these new dragons are actually. I suppose some lucky hits can still kill them easily, since basically the combat system itself is very basic right now. The combat arc will make things much more interesting.

MetBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 11:37:34 am »

Try watching a titan, the first megabeast you have seen EVER, walk into a weapon trap in your outer perimeter wall, and go flying to pieces. Megabeasts are sadly much less than impressive.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 11:45:28 am »

my first megabeast was a one-eyed dragon. it killed my hunter. then he walked to my fortress. i attacked it. no deaths, but all the melee dwarves that fought it(while it was unconscious because of the eye) had the same brain injury. a destroyed military.

now in anothefort i had 3 dragons and 2 titans. but i also had many champions so i lost nobody. only my champion marksdwarf that saved my fort in the early years... she had only 1 bolt, and she attacked the dragon by hammering it. she had no skill. she died at the first hit.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 12:40:24 pm »

Well, my mediocre speardwarf has killed a SIZE:60 modded dragon [it also had better damblock compared to the vanilla dragons] alone, without taking any injuries. Now my dragons has SIZE:200, but I haven't seen it in action yet, so I'm not sure that how strong these new dragons are actually. I suppose some lucky hits can still kill them easily, since basically the combat system itself is very basic right now. The combat arc will make things much more interesting.

Courtesy of LumenPlacidum: The Uberdragon - with some touchups by me for the Samurai mod. Thanks to LumenPlacidum - dragons now have proper body armor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:43:05 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 12:42:20 pm »

my first megabeast was a one-eyed dragon.

Must....Resist...INNUENDO!
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 12:44:26 pm »

Yeah, the only ones I've seen put up a fight are Bronze Collosi. Brutal. First megabeast I ever had was a BC. He stomped a goblin siege, destroyed my awesome anti-goblin flooding chamber, and then killed/seriously injured over 20 well armed/armored dwarves and I don't know how many animals before I caught him in a cage trap. Even my dwarf using an artifact steel sword couldn't do more then bruise the thing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 12:44:56 pm »

my first megabeast was a one-eyed dragon.

Must....Resist...INNUENDO!
huh ???

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 12:52:02 pm »

huh ???
Don't worry about it. The one eyed dragon is big in Japan. ;P
Pages: [1] 2 3